Lets Do this RIGHT. The Official Page Vrs. Clapton Battle.

DaveAronow

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I still like the Wagner estate.
:idk:

Yeah, indeed, like I say, separate the art and the artist. I'm not making freinds with these people, I'm listening to their music or watching their films or whatever. Still though, it's amazing that Clapton has got away with that so thoroughly.

• Members
I know, genuinely shocking, isn't it?

Every country has their own immigration problems. Go to Arizona and see how many agree with Clapton. :idk:

Like you said, it has no bearing on his music career. He's obviously believed in diversity as it pertains to musicians.

• Members

Even Clapton would admit that JP has forgotten more techical skill than he's ever had

I guess technical skill doesn't include the ability to actually play guitar onstage, which Clapton does consistently better than Page. I like Page in the studio, and I haven't been interested in anything Clapton has done in decades, but Clapton is head and shoulders better in terms, of, you know, ACTUALLY PLAYING GUITAR in front of an audience.

• Members
Yeah, indeed, like I say, separate the art and the artist. I'm not making freinds with these people, I'm listening to their music or watching their films or whatever. Still though, it's amazing that Clapton has got away with that so thoroughly.

It was the first time I heard of it, honestly. I don't give much importance to words anyway. If he'd been involved in a hate cult or something, however... :eek:

• Members

ok fine, if you want to go the racist gambit.. but since then who has clapton played with.. well lets see.
Buddy Guy
Robert Cray
John Lee Hooker
Markus Miller
BB King

and the list goes on..
Do you for one freaking second think that if clapton held to racist beliefs that he would not be called out.. by one of his fellow musicians?

do i condone such awfull statments? No.. But i think if he ever did hold to those beliefs.. its not apparent now..

the fact is EC is held in high re guard as a song writer and a guitar player by a whole lot of players, including you metal heroes..

it was in part EC who brought the blues back to the mainstream you want to call it a ripoff.. ever article i have read every book about EC he is greatly humble in the presence of the real old school cats, go view the Robert Johnson sessions.. then see if he is a racist.. seems to me he shows great respect for all his fellow guitarist... more then i can say for some folks.. mho..

• Members

I voted for Page. When I was 12 and tacking drum lessons my instructor told me to listen to Zep. I got into Zep before my snobby Punk/Indie phase and Page made me want to pick up a guitar. Now that I'm older and less of a music snob I appreciate Page even more.

• Members

ok fine, if you want to go the racist gambit.. but since then who has clapton played with.. well lets see.

Buddy Guy

Robert Cray

John Lee Hooker

Markus Miller

BB King

I think even a racist can distinguish between accomplished musicians and a "lowly" race he knows nothing about.

People don't want Mexicans to invade, but they like Santana. Doesn't mean much.

• Members

I think even a racist can distinguish between accomplished musicians and a "lowly" race he knows nothing about.

People don't want Mexicans to invade, but they like Santana. Doesn't mean much.

I'm not interested in this particular thread of discussion - but this is a valid observation.

• Members
I voted for Page. When I was 12 and tacking drum lessons my instructor told me to listen to Zep. I got into Zep before my snobby Punk/Indie phase and Page made me want to pick up a guitar. Now that I'm older and less of a music snob I appreciate Page even more.

Yes, I came to an appreciation of Zeppelin much later in my musical development.:thu:

• Members

Buddy Guy

Robert Cray

John Lee Hooker

Markus Miller

BB King

and the list goes on..

Do you for one freaking second think that if clapton held to racist beliefs that he would not be called out.. by one of his fellow musicians?

do i condone such awfull statments? No.. But i think if he ever did hold to those beliefs.. its not apparent now..

the fact is EC is held in high re guard as a song writer and a guitar player by a whole lot of players, including you metal heroes..

it was in part EC who brought the blues back to the mainstream you want to call it a ripoff.. ever article i have read every book about EC he is greatly humble in the presence of the real old school cats, go view the Robert Johnson sessions.. then see if he is a racist.. seems to me he shows great respect for all his fellow guitarist... more then i can say for some folks.. mho..

I think he's more of a nationalist than a racist, as it happens, but I find both things equally problematic. And anyone who'll stand on a stage banging on about "{censored}ing wogs" deserves a black eye, no matter how well they play the ukelele or who their mates are, you know?

• Members
I think he's more of a nationalist than a racist, as it happens, but I find both things equally problematic. And anyone who'll stand on a stage banging on about "{censored}ing wogs" deserves a black eye, no matter how well they play the ukelele or who their mates are, you know?

That was what, 30 years ago? You do hold a grudge, don'tcha?? :cop::)

• Members

Well, the pertinent point is that he maintains to this day that he hasn't changed his opinion on the matter. He's consistently refused to retract or apologise for it, and he's been asked many times.

But yeah, I think it's quite a serious thing. He was a grown man when he said that stuff.

• Members
Well, the pertinent point is that he maintains to this day that he hasn't changed his opinion on the matter. He's consistently refused to retract or apologise for it, and he's been asked many times.

But yeah, I think it's quite a serious thing. He was a grown man when he said that stuff.

Everyone is different, that's the beauty of the world. Are his opinions on trial, or his guitar playing? I'm sure Mr. Page did and said some pretty reprehensible things in his life as well, just not in earshot of a reporter. If you disqualify everyone who's an asshole(even though you don't know it) from your playlist, my guess is you'd be living in a pretty small world. Whatever, I'm over discussing his personal life, that's not the topic, AFAIK. :idk:

Archived