'65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue vs Twin Reverb?

wagdog

• Members

I've had a DRRI and still have a TRRI. Both amps did/currently have Weber Californias in them. While I thought the DRRI sounded great, the TRRI had a certain fullness and flexibility that the DRRI just didn't quite have. However, I would recommend a late '60s to mid '70s Silverface Twin Reverb with a cap job before I would recommend a TRRI. My Silverfaces have a certain depth and breadth of complexity that the TRRI just doesn't quite have.

And as much as I love my Weber Californias, they don't do dirt well at all. They are strictly a clean speaker.

• Members

Mushy bottom end? :poke:

Not a prob with my 40w 4x10 Super Reverb -- at least not once I've rolled the Bass down to 4 and the Treble up to 6 or 7 while leaving Mid on 5.

So this is a known issue with the 2x10 Vibrolux?

• Members

speaking of speakers, Im thinking of putting some webers in my TRRI, is it as simple as unplugging the speaker and plugging a new one in? What should I get? f150?

I heard some drri dont take pedals well, and I know twins love most pedals...Something to consider

• Members

when did everyone get so lazy. I have played out with two twins for years.

i hear ya. I gig with a Leslie 16 and people always aski me if its a pain in the ass to move. the answer, yes.....but I bought the damn thing to play it so I'm gonna hoal it out to gigs.

• Members

speaking of speakers, Im thinking of putting some webers in my TRRI, is it as simple as unplugging the speaker and plugging a new one in? What should I get? f150?

I heard some drri dont take pedals well, and I know twins love most pedals...Something to consider

Pedals are a consideration.

I don't use "dirt" often when playing solo, but do use chorus/flanger and delay.

• Members

yes, speaker swaps are pretty easy - just get the ohms right and the connections right. I have swapped the speakers in two of my crate vintage clubs - one with a weber alnico blue dog and the other with an eminance legend alnico.

• Members

Not a prob with my 40w 4x10 Super Reverb -- at least not once I've rolled the Bass down to 4 and the Treble up to 6 or 7 while leaving Mid on 5.

So this is a known issue with the 2x10 Vibrolux?

The "Custom" Vibrolux Reverb is a modifcation from the old brown 2x10 Vibrover Reissue. They did a handful of changes to the circuit, most notably removed the -fb loop from the output section. This lets it break up at closer to home volume - most of FMIC's market, but also makes it hissy and crappy on the bottom end.

Search for "Mark Moyer Mods" for instructions on how to make this amp sound good.

• Members

when did everyone get so lazy. I have played out with two twins for years.

When I had my first Twin, we had a second story apartment and my music room was the loft on OUR second floor... so two flights of stairs everytime I took it anywhere.

I've had my current Twin for a bit over a year and while I've taken it out a few times, I've yet to take it upstairs.

I'm not a lazy guy... or a weak guy... I do concrete work professionally. But I have absolutely no desire to carry an 85 lb amp up and down stairs.

• Members

The 12A150/12F150s are a great overall choice. If you play mostly clean, it's hard to beat the Michigans (sound like EVs) or Californias (sound like JBLs). Those both have a big, fat bottom end. For surf guys and clean country guys, those are hard to beat. The Michigans sound fine with gain, but the Californias, like the JBL upon which they are based, never sound all that great with gain and I noticed as of about 3 months ago, there's actually a disclaimer on the Weber site on the California page stating that they don't sound right with gain. Stock CTSs and Utah's sound better with gain in my opinion, but they can't hold a candle to the Michigans or Californias for big and clean tones.

On the DRRI, the reverb/trem channel has a non-switchable bright cap and that is supposed to be the culprit stopping it from sounding good with dirt pedals. I don't think it has a negative effect on modulation or delay effects though. It's easy enough to cut the bright cap or if you want to get fancy, you can add a bright switch to take it in and out of the circuit. If you don't use reverb, you can just plug in to the normal channel and get great dirt tones.

• Members

From every practical pow the DRRI is the one - weight, wattage, size, etc. I still prefer the Twin. Nothing sounds like the lush deep clean of a twin. Not that the DR is bad at all, but a twin just sound bigger and fuller

I posted these in another thread on the same subject this morning, but here are a few vids of my silverface with pedals:

[YOUTUBE]4707bCgRI5w[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]hLwDi2UGJRc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Qhfz11vTYsI[/YOUTUBE]

Even works with cheaper pedals:

[YOUTUBE]Ny2S2dYczH0[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

That throbak mkII pro is interesting...I have a BYOC MKII pro and the knobs dont really do much its either fuzz and gain at 90% or %100. Great pedal regardless. I really want a throbak od/boost ala Jeff Beck

I have a bad monkey ($20)and behringer to100 ($15)that I play with my twin and it sounds pretty good.

But I have coming in the mail a Machine Head 72 Degrees which is an OD/distortion voiced specifically for BF/SF amps so I cant wait for that! Check them out they're reasonably priced for hand built pedals ($150) :thu:

http://www.machineheadpedals.com/index.html

Just to clarify Ive read several times where some of the DR reissues dont take pedals well where others do, not DR in general. Specifically someone demo'd 2 in the same store and found this to be true. Im not sure how this happens with pcb amps but I dont no diddly about amps...

• Members

I have a Silverface Pro Reverb, 40 watt version of the Twin. I've been told by lots of people how great this amp sounds and it does, nothing compares. That said, I'm in the market for a Deluxe because of the weight and volume issue. The Pro weighs a ton, and it never gets above 2.5 on the volume. Last gig the volume was at 2, the control was in the area where it's real touchy, and it was still too loud.

• Members

The Pro weighs a ton, and it never gets above 2.5 on the volume. Last gig the volume was at 2, the control was in the area where it's real touchy, and it was still too loud.

Fender at that time put in crappy pots where most of the volume change was between 2 and 3 on the dial as a marketing thing - "look how loud it is on 3!"

Swap it out for a real audio taper. You'll be glad you did.

• 4 years later...

I've owned both Deluxes and Twins, and I'd generally rather have the Deluxe... unless I was doing a lot of gigs in large halls, or outdoors. I love a good Twin, but most people have no need for that kind of volume. In fact, I think the old Pro Reverb would be a much better choice for 75% of the people who run Twins.

Archived