I sold my guitar on ebay...and dont wanna go through with it...

Brian May

• Members

Yes, I believe (please prove me wrong) that Trademark violations in the form of "This guy has a Fender logo tatooed on his arm!" are going to be so trivial that Fender themselves will not pursue it. Much the same as "This guy, onetime at band camp put a Fender decal on the headstock of this one guitar he had that was really a Squier!!! He has no integrity!"
:cry:

That is not what happened in your case though. Your pal is a proffesional luthier who adapetd and upgraded a Squier and then put the full Fender logo on it. Its him you were defending.

In fact I still have your classic juvenile rant. Pasted below.:)

Originally Posted by BryanMichael

Go un{censored} yourself. Bruce has been building guitars for a long time with "his own name" on the headstock for Christ's sake. You guys are making WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY too big a deal out of his post. Do you care what name is on the headstock when you butt{censored} yourself with your guitars? Are you a maple man or is it rosewood for your rosebud? Must be "knotty pine" - that's where the name comes from...or is it "naughty pine" ? You're such a sniveling {censored}- "REAL builders" - you have not a {censored}ing clue- as stated: GO UN{censored} YOURSELF.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That is not what happened in your case though. Your pal is a proffesional luthier who adapetd and upgraded a Squier and then put the full Fender logo on it. Its him you were defending.

In fact I still have your classic juvenile rant. Pasted below.
:)

Now now, don't bother him with facts. The cognitive dissonance will set in and his brain might implode from the pressure.

• Members

Yep...I did and they said "no thanks please send me the guitar" or words to that effect. So its going.
Oh well nevermind. Such is life.

Sorry to hear it. But I applaud you for doing the right thing and wish the buyer had taken the offer.

• Members

When it comes to the OP, I would have backed out of the deal and kept my guitar with all apologies and moved on with my life. And if I were on the receiving end of that transaction and I suffered NO LOSS, I would easily forgive, forget, and move on.

And that is why I would never want to deal with the likes of you on ebay. Please state your ebay name so I can keep it on a list of "who NOT to trust".

• Members

And it is people like YOU I would never deal with on ebay! I was trying to give him information that could get him out of this mess and still be honorable, but you do not seem to care about that! YOU and people like you are why ebay is the way it is today! Full of scumbags that don't keep their word! I hope you experience what you wanted the OP to do a

If you had kept reading you would see I retracted that. I was in a pissy mean mood and not being rational or particularly moral, obviously.

That said, EVERYONE needs to chill out. calling people evil, scumbags, etc, is just overkill.

This is just normal, forgivable human frailty on all parts.

Want to know what scum is? When I was in HS I almost got in a fistfight with a friend's uncle. he had raped my friend (I know, {censored}ed up right) but they couldn't talk to the police because he was the only source of income for the family and they would be homeless otherwise. THAT is 'scum' and 'evil'.

Nobody suggested to take the money and run, the worst anyone said is "lie and give the money back". Not super moral, but WAY below "evil" and "scum".

If you guys think any of this rates as THAT important, you have been blessed.

• Members

1- It sucks but you should sell it to them - if they paid you it's already theirs

2- Offer them $100 over what they paid not to sell it to them. That will show goodwill on your part and compensate them for wasting their time.

• Members

If you had kept reading you would see I retracted that. I was in a pissy mean mood and not being rational or particularly moral, obviously.

That said, EVERYONE needs to chill out. calling people evil, scumbags, etc, is just overkill.

This is just normal, forgivable human frailty on all parts.

Want to know what scum is? When I was in HS I almost got in a fistfight with a friend's uncle. he had raped my friend (I know, {censored}ed up right) but they couldn't talk to the police because he was the only source of income for the family and they would be homeless otherwise. THAT is 'scum' and 'evil'.

Nobody suggested to take the money and run, the worst anyone said is "lie and give the money back". Not super moral, but WAY below "evil" and "scum".

If you guys think any of this rates as THAT important, you have been blessed.

Well I am glad that you retracted your post, but that does not excuse the behavior of some others on this board that have suggested he keep the guitar anyway or flat out lie.

And just because there are worse things out there, does not make their statements any less offensive. We could talk about Hitler and what he did to the jews which is even worse than your story. That STILL would not excuse the posts suggesting the original poster be dishonest.

It is those people that suggest dishonesty I would never want to deal with on ebay. Why? Because if they act HALF the way they post here as they would on ebay, how could you trust them to do the right thing? You couldn't! Nuff said.

• Members

Well I am glad that you retracted your post, but that doers not excuse the behavior of some others on this board that have suggested he keep the guitar anyway, lie or even worse break the guitar and send it to him and say it happened in shipping!

And just because there are worse things out there, does not make their statements any less offensive. We could talk about Hitler and what he did to the jews which is even worse than your story. That STILL would not excuse the posts suggesting the original poster be dishonest.

It is those people that suggest dishonesty I would never want to deal with on ebay. Why? Because if they act HALF the way they post here as they would on ebay, how could you trust them to do the right thing? You couldn't! Nuff said.

My point is that judging people so harshly helps little, and distorts our view of the world.

Most of the people, with only a very few exceptions, said "send the money back, keep the guitar". Now, while not honoring his word, that would at least not make the guy OUT anything directly (whether he missed out on another deal is a different story), but I can see how most people would say "well, if he gave the money back, no harm no foul". They aren't being "evil" for thinking/saying that.

And on a personal level, I simply DO NOT expect people to do the right thing. Maybe it was the (extremely {censored}ed up) stuff I dealt with growing up, but most people, even 'trustworthy' people, stop being that way under the right circumstances. As a result, I pretty much ignore morality as a way of predicting behavior, because the people who appear the most 'moral' may be cultivating that image to better swindle people. Kind of like used car salesman. I just expect them to do what is in their self interest, protect myself as necessary, and if they do BETTER than that, I recognize it and if they KEEP doing it I add them to my list of friends. At the same token, because I don't expect moral behavior, I treat most 'normal human frailty' as just typical behavior.

Now, breaking the guitar, or keeping the money and running, those are ACTIVELY hurting the other person, on purpose, and that is going down the route where I start to judge. but just keeping it and returning the money... Meh. I'll give that one a 'humans make mistakes and are weak' pass and move on.

• Members

Man I think I saw that guitar on E-bay and didn't bid because, well, for one it was out of my price range, but for two, I Knew someone here owned it....I had seen its face before and thought 'Uh-Oh' and then thought of my E-bay acct and my thoughts of selling them off ...and then realizing it's not like Craigslist, where you can have a 'test the water without regret' situation -put it out there and have ten offers- then just say 'sorry it's sold'..turn off the PC and go to bed.

No, this time you did the E-Bay bid-off.

You took the step to sell it without the liberty of being able to pull out once you effectively sold the item.

There is a person out there who bought what you wanted sold and now you need to do what's right and ship it.

Don't be a dick. ( I mean that in a nice way )
:facepalm:

He did that ages ago.

Either

1) You are stupid.

2) You don't read threads before posting (you are stupid).

• Members

It is the INTERNET. We NEVER shut up.

Now go talk about how awesome Carvins are... :poke:
:lol:

You know, I used to be like you. All grouchy and mean to people, just cuz I could be. But then I learned something about arguing on teh internetz... It makes Al Gore smile, cuz that's why he invented this idiotic thing. I refuse to participate in any activity that makes Al Gore smile, unless it involves his (future) ex-wife and a steam roller..

• Members

You know, I used to be like you. All grouchy and mean to people, just cuz I could be. But then I learned something about arguing on teh internetz... It makes Al Gore smile, cuz that's why he invented this idiotic thing. I refuse to participate in any activity that makes Al Gore smile, unless it involves his (future) ex-wife and a steam roller..

Dude, I didn't intend to come off as mean or hostile (well, to you at least), I was just teasing you.

Damn that tone of voice not working via text BS... sigh :facepalm:

• Members

Dude, I didn't intend to come off as mean or hostile (well, to you at least), I was just teasing you.

Damn that tone of voice not working via text BS... sigh
:facepalm:

Jeez man.. Even when I try to be funny, people act like I stepped on their dog =(

• Members

Well I was in two minds in the first place....it was a simple case of a reluctant sale through financial need...but since then i've simply thought i should just borrow the money and not lose the guitar i love. I've never even thought of doing this ever before. Damn I'm so annoyed with myself on this.

You shouldn't borrow money especially from friends or relatives until you've exhausted your own assets whether it's guitars, comic books, cds, art etc.

When you ask to borrow money you put people in a very awkward situation and then there's always the lender trying/hoping to get the money back.

I've just been put in the situation as a lender and don't really like it. But before the guy get's any of my money I told him he must liquidate any and all assets including his motorcycle, 60" flat screen etc and I told him accept any offer. It's not about what it's worth, it's about getting the money so you can borrow less from me.

If you keep the guitar you're a dick but you at least can keep the guitar.

If you complete the transaction you may regret selling the guitar but it will be a great lesson next time before you list anything.

Sorry to come down so hard but I HATE it when people ask me for money unless it's a really dire situation. I'll always show a concerned or pleasant face but inside it's PISSED OFF AT BEING ASKED!!

Everything I have is for sale when I need the money, only material things. What is not for sale are photos and those types of things which are not worth anything but are meaningful to me.

• Members

It sounds like the key for you then is to step on their dog in way the owner finds amusing
;)

Maybe wrap it in a poncho, throw it in a pond, drag it back out, then jump up and down on it while pouring some sort of sauce on it? I know I'd laugh, but then I wouldn't be the one with a wet dead dog, covered in a poncho and some strange sauce.. My own humor, sometimes it escapes me too.. :rolleyes:

Archived