I sold my guitar on ebay...and dont wanna go through with it...

Brian May

• Members

DEFINE WHAT A "RIGHT" IS? It's an idea. Every contract has a cooling off period...er, wait, it depends on the state....so, not even the states can agree on what someone's "Rights" are when it comes to a contract, so what makes you think YOU have the "right answer?" Oh, I know
:idea:
You are a sanctimonious holier than thou {censored}WAD.

'{censored}WAD'? If you are a day over 12, I pity you.

Regardless of these 'state laws' you keep bringing up, this was an eBay auction subject to eBay rules. When buying or selling on eBay, you agree to their rules. What do eBay rules say about this situation? Does is say the buyer can just not sell to the winning bidder for whatever reason they find convenient?

You're wrong. Period. Nothing you say will change that fact.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

DEFINE WHAT A "RIGHT" IS? It's an idea. Every contract has a cooling off period...er, wait, it depends on the state....so, not even the states can agree on what someone's "Rights" are when it comes to a contract, so what makes you think YOU have the "right answer?" Oh, I know

Little hint for you: Cooling off periods are designed to protect THE BUYER in most situations. For instance, the primary area in a sales contract where you will see a "cooling off period" is car sales. They are designed to protect a buyer who decides that maybe he was misled on the qualities of an item or it's suitability for his purpose, NOT so a seller can just say "{censored} off, I changed my mind."

And since you apparently haven't quite gotten the concept yet, an auction is a tad different than your typical sales contract. Do you think Christie's could get away with saying "Oh, here's your check for $1,000,000 back, Clapton decided he doesn't want to auction Blackie after all"? Nope. Auctions don't work that way. If you'd like to read specific legal code covering this, I urge you to research the Uniform Commercial Code which states explicitly that once the auction is concluded, the item can not be withdrawn:

"According to the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC), a body of law governing commercial transactions that has been adopted by the states, the auction sale of any item concludes with the fall of the hammer or in any other customary manner. Such a sale is "with reserve," which denotes that the goods can be withdrawn at any time, until the auctioneer announces the completion of the sale . . . " http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Auctions

In essence, legally speaking, once you put an item up for auction, you have surrendered ownership of that item to the wining bidder unless (a) there is no winning bidder; or (b) any reserve on the item you may have placed is not met.

So both legally, and ethically, you are wrong.

• Members

Actually I have a pretty good grasp of it, maybe you don't know that most states have a "cooling off" period for contracts which can last from 3 to 7 days...California does NOT have this kind of law however, which I feel is UNETHICAL. Ethics and the LAW are two different things you see
:)
Adequate remedy at law for this TYPE of contract would be limited to damages suffered by the injured party- in other words.....a refund, which could have easily been issued.

If Ebay itself wanted to sue based on loss of revenue from a canceled sale, and as a third party beneficiary to that contract, they might have legal standing, but this type of thing would cost FAR MORE to prosecute than the guitar is worth, and the outcome would probably result in damages limited to a REFUND.

But I'm no expert...
:idk:

Ps> The divorce argument still holds here, you state "If you break your word in one way, you would break it in another" - so by your logic, everyone who has ever gotten a divorce...is dishonest.

Disregarding all this law/contract mumbo jumbo, it's really about you as a person and doing what you think is right.

We have all rationalized doing a wrong thing (for the better good?) and sometimes we just do bad things and we know it. Yup we're all flawed.

• Members

OP came here to discuss reputation, integrity and honor...not 'what he can get away with.

It's real easy to talk tough on 'just send the money back, {censored} the buyer'...when your hiding behind anonymous avatars, proxies, fake email addresses, and user agreements that have no teeth...

But it so much fun!

and the OP really does know the right answer regarding reputation, integrity and honor.

What he was hoping for is for people to support his decision which I'm sure he knew was wrong thing to do.

We all want to have people say "yeah it's ok don't sweat it" when we want to weasel out of things we have only ourselves to blame for.

• Members

I think RavenCAD hit it on the head. As long as property hasn't changed hands and money was refunded, in all actuality....the contract is VOID. Contracts can be voided for all kinds of LEGAL reasons, and as in this case, THERE IS NO LOSS AND NO HARM suffered by the buyer so it's merely a matter of an apology.

AS for putting on display "who I am" ?

I have 555 feedbacks on Ebay...100% positive from buyers and sellers and I deal honestly with everyone, including if I changed my mind about something.

But what is your ebay id?

• Members

Then, what can I say- since you are speaking for everyone here, then you should probably avoid dealing with me, despite my overwhelmingly positive reputation...including people on the forum that HAVE dealt with me. It's funny that you guys are so up in arms over this- his situation changed, he changed his mind. It's not that big of a deal. No one was harmed. I think most of this is bull{censored} anyway, because I'm positive that at some point or another all of you have downloaded software or music or illegally taped music at home (before they changed that law
:rolleyes:
) or were otherwise "dishonest" and didn't get caught- so, I'll just keep going with my being honest with everyone and living up to my own standards, since most of you are full of utter {censored} anyway and all of this sanctimonious holier than thou posturing is really bull{censored}. Go crucify yourself- PLEASE. We need a few more messiahs!
:thu:

Finally you played the "Jesus Card"

• Members

I wonder how many of the folks here would be singing a different tune if say . . . they were buying something for their kids birthday and the seller told them "nevermind, I changed my mind, oh your kids birthday is Friday? Too damn bad."

...well you should always have a back-up plan or in this case a back-up present

• Members

BryanMichael cool out dude, smoke a big one, don't let them get to you.

and does is mean is or is? good enough for big dog bill, good enough for me

• Members

'{censored}WAD'? If you are a day over 12, I pity you.

Regardless of these 'state laws' you keep bringing up, this was an eBay auction subject to eBay rules. When buying or selling on eBay, you agree to their rules. What do eBay rules say about this situation? Does is say the buyer can just not sell to the winning bidder for whatever reason they find convenient?

You're wrong. Period. Nothing you say will change that fact.

while I agree with you, we need a little honey with this medicine

• Members

Disregarding all this law/contract mumbo jumbo,
it's really about you as a person and doing what you think is right

We have all rationalized doing a wrong thing (for the better good?) and sometimes we just do bad things and we know it. Yup we're all flawed.

that was exactly hitler's line of reasoning.

• Members

that was exactly hitler's line of reasoning.

uhh, ok all what I said before BUT we'll draw the line at ethnic cleansing.

AND thank you very much jamdogg for playing both the Holocaust and the Hitler card.

and for the record I just want to say I was never a guard at any concentration camp.

I only did what I was told to do.

• Members

As this thread gets increasingly idiotic, I lose more and more faith in humanity.

I believe Hitler was also fond of quoting himself

I once bought a guitar off of Hitler on ebay.

Bastard changed his mind.

I had him killed by a Mafia hood, played by Robert De niro.

Or was it a dream?

:thu:

• Members

uhh, ok all what I said before BUT we'll draw the line at ethnic cleansing.

AND thank you very much jamdogg for playing both the Holocaust and the Hitler card.

and for the record I just want to say I was never a guard at any concentration camp.

I only did what I was told to do.

you asked for a 20 page thread.

Archived