Sorta OT: I really like the view from my office balcony...

pixelchemist

• Members

was out there playing acoustic for a little while after work today waiting for the traffic to die down for my drive home (yes i am crazy and drive to work every day in NYC and pay dearly for it). It always seems peaceful to me despite it being anything but. I love when the weather starts getting colder as the sky gets so much more interesting. Anyways I snapped a few photos before i took off. One with my Canon EOS7D and one blurry panorama with my Phone (Samsung Vibrant Galaxy S).

office_view.jpg

officepan.jpg

• Members

commute isn't so bad... takes me about 40 minutes in traffic or 14 minutes if i time it right into the city... the outbound if I leave at 6pm sharp is about 20 minutes if not I wait until around 8 and its 15 minutes (7pm is about 45min-1hr). I get more done from 6-8 than i get done the rest of the day though so I don't mind it much... the part that sucks is the cost... i pay around 38 bucks a day with tolls, gas, parking.

• Members

That is a cool picture.

But I would hate to commute there.

I heard Geraldo Rivera interviewed recently (I was forced to listen at gun-point) and he said that he often commutes to work in New York via his boat.

I guess he lives right on the water (the Hudson?), and just avoids the street traffic by cruising down the river.

Of course, I'm sure his house on the water ain't cheap.

He'd really have my admiration if he used a submarine.

• Members

commute isn't so bad... takes me about 40 minutes in traffic or 14 minutes if i time it right into the city... the outbound if I leave at 6pm sharp is about 20 minutes if not I wait until around 8 and its 15 minutes (7pm is about 45min-1hr). I get more done from 6-8 than i get done the rest of the day though so I don't mind it much... the part that sucks is the cost... i pay around 38 bucks a day with tolls, gas, parking.

let's see.... a nice 335 is about $2,500... tacka ticka ticka.... 38 bucks a day... ticka ticka... train fare is about a buck and a half... ticka ticka ticka ticka ticka ticka ticka .....

you realize you could have another Gibson 335 every 2 1/2 months if you took the train, prolly sooner if you calculate in the cost of just owning a car.

• Members

your office has a balcony!...damn

Best place I had was my office in Santa Cruz that had a ocean view :thu:...sadly they closed that plant almost 10 years ago

Now if I stand a look out the windows 4 cubes over I get a lovely view of a parking lot :(...could be worse some offices don't have any windows around at all :cop:

• Members

You're paying $750/month to commute?

sucks... i would only end up saving around 100 bucks a month to not drive in and take the train/cabs/walking (would still have to pay to park at the train station)

Driving is much more enjoyable commute despite the cost and it works on my schedule not dealing with the damn trains.

I could save a lot by taking the bus in but i did that for 3 years already and well "f" that especially in the summer.

• Members

You know I think that's just something that I'd enjoy looking at from a window a lot more than I'd enjoy being down in it.

I'm 6 miles door to door from work and I was planning on keeping it that way longterm. Looks like we are going to move next year so I am just hoping that I can keep my commute time down to the sub 20 minute level.

I transform into a horrible person when I am behind the wheel of a car. :lol:

• Members

That's nice. I spent some time living in NYC (Battery Park and Brooklyn Heights) while doing internships during college...fun place but it's too zoo-ey for me. I like Boston and my free 20 minute walk through the Public Garden to work :)

Unfortunately, my cubicle doesn't have a view, let alone a balcony :(

• Members
That's nice. I spent some time living in NYC (Battery Park and Brooklyn Heights) while doing internships during college...fun place but it's too zoo-ey for me. I like Boston and my free 20 minute walk through the Public Garden to work
:)

Unfortunately, my cubicle doesn't have a view, let alone a balcony
:(

I grew up just outside of Boston, lived there for 24 years, my fam is all still around there... by far my favorite city... the good paychecks for my profession are all in New York though so that's where I am for now.

I have been here for about 5 or 6 years figure I will stay another couple years then sell my house when the market is a bit better and move back north, probably North Shore MA somewhere. That is if I don't end up overseas first. If some things pan out that I have in the works I may be relocating to Manila, Philippines early next year.

Archived