Got fired today

Faber

• Members

Sucks, dude. Mojo sent your way. I do most of my work on contract basis and know it sucks when there is a stretch between jobs. We're smart with our money and the only thing that changes is I can't buy any guitar stuff until works starts back. Other than my gear, we're pretty frugal.

• Members

I'll second (or third or fourth) the comment that this might end up ok. When my last employer started to show signs of having financial issues, I started sending out the resumes. My job got eliminated a few months later.

Two days after I got the news I got a call from my current employer asking if I was still interested. It's a much better job than my old one- higher pay, more responsibility, more toys to play with, etc.

I might not have applied if not for worrying about the stability of the old job.

Best of luck. (And you don't know Peoplesoft by any chance? We've had a terrible time trying to find someone to handle a Peoplesoft programming position.)

• Members

The one and so far only time I got fired, my supervisor got the boot as well, because he had fired me without consulting his superiors ... which was very satisfying to say the least ... didn't get my job back though, not that it mattered, I didn't like it anyway.

And I'm the one and only boss and employee myself now :thu:

You can turn bad things into good things.

• Members

Mojo sent your way.

I got fired myself, a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure I'll find another job, I'm just getting weary by the thought of once more having to learn a new routine, new people and clients, new area, etc, especially since the same thing happened to me last year. At least it's nothing to do with me personally, either then nor now, it's the companies I work for that are forced to downsize.

I agree with the guys who say it may be a good thing later on; who knows, 10 years from now it may be the thing that put us on the right path for our dream job.

• Members

Sorry about that. I have faith in you though... anyone who can acquire 14,800+ posts here has what it takes to get that job!

I hear that Frets makes a ton of money with his mod gig, maybe he could put in a good word.

Seriously, keep and open mind and broaden your possibilities.

• Members

That sucks ass man. The #1 thing is to try not to let it affect other aspects of your life.

Good luck man. Lots of toughness out there these days. Hope you find something that pays the bills and makes you at least a little bit happy.

• Members

Thanks for all the best wishes and suggestions, I truly appreciate it :thu: Sorry for the belated response to them but I needed to keep to myself last night.

Having slept on it: There is clarity and relief in certainty and I much perfer that to the murky insecurity of what-if. I feel in a better position to act now than I did when the axe was swinging over my head, and as long as I can act to change my own situation I'll be fine - it's being trapped waiting to se whether the axe will fall that will truly grind me down. There is also relief in realizing that I am no longer obligated to that place, and that the things about the job that used to worry me and which I poured everything I had into really isn't essential to my life in any way. It doesn't matter and I can't even care enough about he place to be pissed at management - it's dead to me and I'm indifferent to them, relieved and ready for the chase.

I'm off to talk rights with the union and get some application coaching there as well.

Thanks for all the best wishes and suggestions, I truly appreciate it
:thu:
Sorry for the belated response to them but I needed to keep to myself last night.

Having slept on it: There is clarity and relief in certainty and I much perfer that to the murky insecurity of what-if. I feel in a better position to act now than I did when the axe was swinging over my head, and as long as I can act to change my own situation I'll be fine - it's being trapped waiting to se whether the axe will fall that will truly grind me down. There is also relief in realizing that I am no longer obligated to that place, and that the things about the job that used to worry me and which I poured everything I had into really isn't essential to my life in any way. It doesn't matter and I can't even care enough about he place to be pissed at management - it's dead to me and I'm indifferent to them, relieved and ready for the chase.

I'm off to talk rights with the union and get some application coaching there as well.

That's the truth. Waiting under the sword of Damocles is stressful. Plus you don't know whether or not to make plans. That anxiety is gone and good riddance. :thu:

• Members

Dept closing means no more jobs. The other dept are probably full. 4 full months severance pay is very very generous on their part. Sorry for your job loss but 4 months should be plenty of time to get reemployed.

Just to comment on this: It's standard fare once you're unionized/public employee here: you get three montsh minimum for the first three years and an additional month I *think* every three-five years after that. That was probably part of the reason I got fired as well. They Have to make the budget cut in 2011 and many of my collegues who've been ther 15-20 years have 6-8 months severance. And of course the civil servants (unlike regular empoyees like me) get 3 full years. Getting rid of me was fast money.

And I do hope yo're right about reemployment

Archived