Single coils and noise!

Misha

• Members

I have a Fender CP 60's Strat that I love!

However, it's noisy! I like the sound of the single coils (Custom 69's) but I seriously thought about replacing them with noiseless pickups.

I decided to get a Boss Noise Supressor pedal, the NS-2 and I'm glad I did because I like the result and will keep my Classic Player stock for now on!

BossNS-2.jpg

Now, I would like to know how many of you use a noise supressor in their setting!

• Members

Just another link in the chain to degrade tone IMO. Roll yer volume knob back if it's too much between songs (assuming here that you are in a band; if no, my bad). Been a Strat Cat and Tele-wrangler for years and years, switch to a clean channel of roll off volume knob during silent parts. Do you have a lot of effects? If it's off the hook 60-cycle hum, you may have a bad pedal or patch cord adding to it. Are you all amped up on gain all the time? Just some things to consider....

• Members

I just play at home or with my teacher, sometimes with friends!

When I roll off the voule knob until enough of the noise disappears, the sound is altered too much. One thing though: I don't use my NS-2 because I play loud and with lots of gain, I use it because I play at bedroom volume and without the noise gate, the noise is almsot as loud as I want the guitar to sound!!

It only hums that much with the CP 60's, no need for the NS-2 with my other guitars... (humbuckers pickups).

The pedal was less expensive than new pickups!

• Members

You may have something else going on, that sounds excessive. Check your guitar wiring for ground loops and shield the cavity if it isnt already.

Also, get away from any computer CRTs, flourescent lights, and any other common noise radiators if you can.

• Members

Good shielding will do the job imho. I've had a couple of guitar shielded and I've been surprised both times that it made so great a difference to the noise.

If all else fails there is always the Suhr backplate system which is expensive but really works

• Members

I had a Decimator in the past and I sold it. I had no use for a noise gate, then...

I prefer my NS-2 and it's useful to me, this time!

I'll ask the tech to shield the guitar, this week. I've heard about the Suhr backplate but knowing how expensive it is, I prefer my NS-2 which is working well and cheaper! ;)

This tech is good but the wait is often loooooong with him! :freak:

• Members

I have a Fender CP 60's Strat that I love!

However, it's noisy! I like the sound of the single coils (Custom 69's) but I seriously thought about replacing them with noiseless pickups.

I decided to get a Boss Noise Supressor pedal, the NS-2 and I'm glad I did because I like the result and will keep my Classic Player stock for now on!

BossNS-2.jpg

Now, I would like to know how many of you use a noise supressor in their setting!

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't 69's not reverse wound? I play mainly in position 2 and 4 and have never had a problem with noise. Maybe just change the middle pickup with a reverse wound.

• Members

i've not had very good luck with the ns-2...i felt like it messed with my attack and sustain way too much, even when dialed in on the lowest settings, and just overall messed up my tone. if you begin to notice this, i would suggest the isp decimator or the mxr smart gate because they're supposed to do an awesome job of suppressing excess noise without messing with your tone

• Members

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't 69's not reverse wound? I play mainly in position 2 and 4 and have never had a problem with noise. Maybe just change the middle pickup with a reverse wound.

You are right! They are not reverse wound! :(

I was thinking about buying Fender Custom Shop Fat 50s, those are reverse wound, but it would have been more expensive than the Boss pedal.

If I get tired of the NS-2, I will think about changing only the middle pickup! It's a very good idea! Thank's for the suggestion!

• Members

I use noise suppression but only on a few songs that require mega gain. I may pull it out of the chain, because I've since properly shielded and made sure of ground on all the guitars. Last time I was doing the ganiac thang with my sc strat I left the noise gate off and was pleasantly surprised to find just a small amount of hum. Not enough to be irritating.

• Members

I put Kinman pickups in my Strat. It's now as quiet as a humbucker guitar and sounds great. I don't care if the single coil snobs look down on noiseless pickups. I'm the one who has to listen to them, and I like them. Oh, and if you're playing live, your audience can't tell the difference. ;)

Archived