Teen star Cassidy a no-show at Fort Pierce DUI hearing

Richard King

• Members

No show makes it sound like he failed to appear, which is not the case... he's expected to file a written plea, which is fairly normal given the circumstances, a misdemeanor charge and no prior record.

At a hearing Tuesday afternoon at the St. Lucie County Courthouse, County Judge Cliff Barnes announced that a scheduled docket sounding for Cassidy had been postponed, but the celebrity best known for his role in the television show "The Partridge Family" was expected to enter a written plea on the charges, which also include failure to maintain a single lane and an open container violation, at the next round of docket soundings, scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Feb. 16.

Barnes said Cassidy, who lives in Fort Lauderdale, would be allowed to skip the hearing "just like everyone else charged with a misdemeanor and with no prior record" and have the plea entered by his attorney.

It is a great picture, though.

• Members

No show
makes it sound like he failed to appear, which is not the case... he's expected to file a written plea, which is fairly normal given the circumstances, a misdemeanor charge and no prior record.

It
is
a great picture, though.

The paper (my local rag) is well known for that type of headline. In fact they are well known for not getting much right. ;)

• Moderators

I hate seeing those drunk mugshots. Partly because I know there's one of me on file too. But I'm not famous. Drunk driving is a horrendous thing to do. It makes sense when you're drunk. But it's dangerous and wrong. Hopefully Cassidy will get the idea like I did.

• Members

Any publicity is good publicity, right? I think George Michael regularly hits things with his car and falls asleep at the scene or something .I've gotta check my old Kenny Rogers "Making It in the Music Business" book to see if there's a chapter on this type of thing.

• Members

Any publicity is good publicity, right? I think George Michael regularly hits things with his car and falls asleep at the scene or something .I've gotta check my old Kenny Rogers "Making It in the Music Business" book to see if there's a chapter on this type of thing.

I'm fascinated with how even "negative publicity" can often work in a celebrity's favor. It seems there are very few sins that the public will not forgive... I can only think of a handful of celebrities who may never be forgiven by the public: O.J. Simpson, Phil Spector, Ike Turner, Gary Glitter, Robert Blake.... But most negative publicity seems to draw more allure and mystique to the celeb in question... I have a hunch that if Phil Spector were to release something like "The Prison Tapes", I'll bet lots of ears worldwide would be thrilled to find out what he's come up with (I confess I, for one, would be). Maybe it would have that kind of dark, populist cred/cachet that Johnny Cash's FOLSOM PRISON album did.

Right now, I'm idly wondering what will be the upshot of Randy Quaid's recent meltdown: will he be secretly lauded as a kind of nonconformist rebel hero? (Just in time to be cast in a similar role in a fictional movie feature?).

• Moderators

Right now, I'm idly wondering what will be the upshot of Randy Quaid's recent meltdown: will he be secretly lauded as a kind of nonconformist rebel hero? (Just in time to be cast in a similar role in a fictional movie feature?).

Of course. He's been off my radar. And now... He's back in. The why will most likely fade, but that next role where he plays a lovable nut case sidekick channeling Midnight Cowboy's Rizzo will get him an Oscar. An his future missteps will only be an outgrowth of his insane genius.

Hollywood!

Archived