What do you guys think about the new Epiphone "Appetite" Slash LP Standard?

GAS Man

• Members

735019.jpg

735015.jpg

735014.jpg

735018.jpg

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Slash-Appetite-Les-Paul-Standard-Electric-Guitar?sku=H05511

I think it looks nice, would rather it have a more natural mahogany looking (less red tint) back, love the look of the top, but think it's a bit of a rip that it's only a veneer on the carved top (but probably a financial imperative at this price point), and I like that its got the Duncan Slash Alnico II Pros. With USA pickups and a case, that being worth at least $300 by themselves, and with the discounts MF is offering right now of 15% off on Epiphones, I think that if a deal could be swung at $849 these might be tempting. But I'm not sure if it's a worthwhile endeavor for someone that already has a Gibby LP or two in the stable.

Thoughts?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

^^ another words, maybe more gimmick versus real guitar value (?). I could see that.

I wonder how much weight relieved chambering they use on the Epi.

The Gibson standard production model of this guy is also somewhat tempting, but one reviewer here is bitchin about it being too light. I would understand that. Even though I often like the tone of a chambered LP, I would think they should spec it close to Slash's original, and although that may have actually been an LP copy, I somehow doubt it would have been light. Maybe I'm wrong, but I somehow doubt anyone was making a light LP back then.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-LPSS-LIST#FeaturedReview

79842.jpg

At $11,500, I think this VOS version would be a bit ridiculous unless you're rollin the the dough.

75-body-l.jpg

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SlashADSig/

Too much time and $ going into dinging up that one. But I'd bet the tone is there on that one.

• Members

Well, I do like the finish and the figuring, but I'm going to have to vote that it's over priced. I doubt it has any better QC than any other Epi from the same factory and I'm guessing if someone is gassing for an Epi LP, those funds would be MUCH better spent hunting down a great playing guitar without a silly logo on the headstock.

:lol:

Having said that, I do really like that finish.

• Members

Goodlookin but pricey

Well if you break it down, it's listed street is $450 more than a comparable Epi LP

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plus-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=518341

A set of Duncan Slash Alnico's would cost $190 (+ I'd probably lose another $70 or so having a tech install upgrades)

But even if you do it yourself that drops the difference to $260

Then an Epiphone LP case would cost you $79, dropping the price diff to $181, and for that remaining price diff you get some value stability from its collector's interest (the older Epi Slash versions have some stiff pricing on them on ebay) and you get the upgraded Sprague Orange Drop tone capacitors. Then with the 15% off deal running, these price differences are also minimized a bit too.

But I agree, it's debatable whether its worth the price of admission at all.

• Members

nice looking guitar but that headstock logo kills it for me. Maybe if I was 15 years old I could see myself playing something like that. It's also overpriced for an epi. I could get an actual gibson LP for that price, and even cheaper. And without the juvenile logo that looks like something you'd find scribbled on the inside of a 7th grader's notebook.

• Members

No way would I pay $1000 for a Chinese Epiphone, no matter who's name was on it. Even if I liked tiger-stripe finishes, I wouldn't pay $850 either, when you can get Epi Customs on clearance at GC for

And this is from someone who recently paid $1100 for a Japanese Epiphone.

• Members

The Slash Epi Goldtops eventually were closed out (and for a very long time at Best Buy and GC) for 599.00.

A great deal.. whatdya get besides the guitar:

USA Seymour Duncan Alinco II Pros (same as what was on the Gibson Sig models, exactly the same pickups)

Hard Shell Case with Slash sig logo and much nicer than a reg epi case but not as nice as a real Gibson

Slash Autograph

COA

Pick

Studded Leather Strap

+ some other knick knacks.

Now I bought an Epi Antique White Custom on closeout from MF for 399.00 Added Classic 57s (bought on ebay from the late lamented Boz Banks for 125.00 for the pair and paid for installation) bought a Gibson Case and it came out to about what the Slash Epi Goldtop cost.

Morale...Epis should be bought on closeout.

The appetite epi will be at closeout pricing too I bet. Would you pay 599.00 for it?

• Members

At that price theres absolutely no reason for it not to be regular flame or quilt maple top, not a veneer. ESP Ltd, BC Rich, and others have done actual non veneer flame and quilt maple tops on their instruments at much lower price point. I like epiphone, but sometimes they boggle my mind on stuff like this.

• Members

Ah the Appetite For Dollars campaign rolls on, making sure to reach fanboys at every price point, no matter that it isn't anything remotely like the Kris Derrig guitar it was "supposedly" modeled after.

Great thing about Slash fans, Gibson knows that no matter how much gimmicky crap they put out someone will pony up the cash for it.

Without the retarded headstock decal this would be a pretty cool guitar.

• Members

Okay, you guys helped cool my GAS jets a bit. And it was an honest quest for opinions. I do think the guitar has some goods in it, (including the long neck tenon which I forgot to mention - thanks "EJStrat2Tone") and the last plain top version seems to be holding its value on ebay (and then some if they actually get near what some are asking :rolleyes:) but some worthwhile negatives stated here. I have enough guitars anyway. But if I do change my mind, I've got a $849 quote in the pocket. ;)

And the silly logo {censored} doesn't really bother me. If you're a collector, you look for stupid {censored} like that which will help you unload it down the road for a fair return. But OTOH, it was the features, and not the Slash collectible aspects, that interested me.

• Members

Ah the Appetite For Dollars campaign rolls on, making sure to reach fanboys at every price point, no matter that it isn't anything remotely like the Kris Derrig guitar it was "supposedly" modeled after.

Great thing about Slash fans, Gibson knows that no matter how much gimmicky crap they put out someone will pony up the cash for it.

Without the retarded headstock decal this would be a pretty cool guitar.

That's some funny {censored} in that thumbnail. :thu: Fairly "right on" too I'm afraid, albeit with a stretch or two.

• Members

Spec wise it's much nicer than a Epi LP Standard.

Slash LP..

Mahogany body

Carved hard maple top with AAA flamed maple veneer

Polyurethane finish

Glues Deep-set mahogany neck with Rounded '60s D Slash neck profile with long neck tenon

24-3/4" scale length

Bound rosewood fretboard

22 nickel frets

Trapezoid inlays

Seymour Duncan Slash Signature Alnico-II Pro humbuckers

2 volume controls, 2 tones, 3-way toggle switch

Bridge and neck tone controls with special Sprague Orange Drop capacitors selected by Slash for vintage tone

LockTone Tune-O-Matic bridge/stopbar tailpiece and straplocks

Kluson-style tuners

Single-ply cream binding on top

Includes custom hardshell case, hand-signed certificate in binder, and 12 Slash picks

Specs are probably closer to the Epi Tribute.

Tribute LP..

Mahogany body

Carved hard maple top

Mahogany neck

Neck options: 1960s SlimTaper (D profile) or Asymmetrical (combination D-profile bass side and C-profile treble side

Vintage "Deep-Set" glued-in neck joint

Adjustable truss rod

24.75" scale

Rosewood fingerboard with mother-of-pearl trapezoid inlays

Gibson USA '57 Classic neck humbucker (4-wire)

Gibson USA '57 Classic Plus bridge humbucker (4-wire)

Switchcraft 3-way pickup selector, Neck Pickup Volume, Bridge Pickup Volume, Neck Pickup Tone (push/pull - series/parallel), Bridge Pickup Tone (push/pull - series/parallel)

Mallory 150 capacitors

Fingerboard 1-ply binding (cream)

14" fingerboard radius

22 medium-jumbo frets

LockTone Tune-O-Matic bridge/stopbar tailpiece for more sustain and easier string changing

1-11/16" nut width

Nickel machine heads Grover locking tuners

Straplocks

Epiphone lifetime warranty

Includes hardshell case

Epi 1959..

Body Material Mahogany

Top Material Carved Hard Maple Cap with AAA Flame Maple Veneer

Neck Material Mahogany

Neck Shape 1950's Rounded "D" profile

Neck Joint "Deep-Set" Glued-In

Truss Rod Adjustable

Scale Length 24.75"

Fingerboard Rosewood with pearloid "Trapezoid" inlays

Neck Pickup Gibson USA Burstbucker 2

Bridge Pickup Gibson USA Burstbucker 3

Controls Bridge Volume, Neck Volume, Bridge Tone w/Mallory-150 capacitors, Neck Tone w/Mallory-150 capacitors, Switchcraft 3-way toggle

Binding Body and Fingerboard

Fingerboard Radius 14"

Frets 22; medium-jumbo

Bridge LockTone tune-o-matic/stopbar

Nut Width 1-11/16"

Hardware Nickel

Machine Heads Vintage Style, 14:1 ratio with "tulip" buttons

Colors Faded Cherryburst (FC), Faded Iced Tea (FT)

Includes Hard Case, Certificate of Authenticity

Warranty Epiphone Limited Lifetime

More Epiphone news items.

• Members

My opinion? Let's face it, it's just a regular epi with a different veneer. Seen way nicer ones. Oh yeah, it has some seymour duncans, sure that will make you sound like Slash, yeah right.

And this 'long neck tennon' thing is just a huge pile of BS: if there's more wood on the neck, there's less on the body :rolleyes:

Archived