What do you guys think about the new Epiphone "Appetite" Slash LP Standard?

GAS Man

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Id rather get a gibson les paul studio

That's very much a different guitar though. The LP Studio is more chambered with a harder hitting bridge pickup. The Slash Epi Standard is built a bit more to the original standards of heft and has more vintage voiced pickups but with a lot of clarity. I already had my compliment of LP Studios, but would most likely recommend a Studio over one of these if someone didn't already have a Gibson. I have a bit of an affection for chambered Gibson LPs anyway. They just don't have quite as much sustain, but sound a bit more bluesy and vowel-like.

• Members
GAS Man

you should have bought this

http://davesguitar.com/gibson-usa/slash-appetite-for-destruction-les-paul---now-in-stock!-10197.asp#00603C

w440_18467_00603.jpg

Dave probably would have given you a good deal on it.

I definitely thought about it, but I wanted to minimize the "investment" even though I knew the quality would be sacrificed to some degree. As I said above, I was attracted to this guitar, but OTOH, I already have about twice as much in gear as I spent for my first house, so you've got to draw a line somewhere. It's like filling you dance card. Some might have to be the ladies with less than pedigree breeding.

Hell, this was the year I had a "No New Guitars In 2010 Resolution" and I ended up buying like 13 or so. :facepalm:

The other thing was, I'm truly not that much of a Slash fanboy to go near 3-large into this direction. 8-fiddy was my limit for this excursion.

• Members
I definitely thought about it, but I wanted to minimize the "investment" even though I knew the quality would be sacrificed to some degree. As I said above, I was attracted to this guitar, but OTOH, I already have about twice as much in gear as I spent for my first house, so you've got to draw a line somewhere. It's like filling you dance card. Some might have to be the ladies with less than pedigree breeding.

Hell, this was the year I had a "No New Guitars In 2010 Resolution" and I ended up buying like 13 or so.
:facepalm:

The other thing was, I'm truly not that much of a Slash fanboy to go near 3-large into this direction. 8-fiddy was my limit for this excursion.

Thats your problem, you are buying for investment purposes. I don't.

I like some of the tops on the Gibson USA Slash appetite guitars but they don't look anything like an old 50's Les Paul or even Slash's Derrig Les Paul replica.

• Members
OMG!!!!

Central Vac? !:poke:
:cool:

Funny post. Yeah, it is.

Came with the house. The house used to belong to my dad but he made me an offer I couldn't refuse back in 2001.

He used to refer to using that central vac as "wrestling the anaconda". ;)
:lol:

Suction is good, getting the dust directly out of the house is good, but that anaconda can whip your ass and take you down if you don't watch the tail. Another words, dragging that heavy hose around is a bit challenging compared to your basic upright. I've also accidentally sucked things up with them never being seen again. I think they get trapped somewhere in the belly of beast.

But hey, thanks for noticing. :thu:

• Members
Disregard what I said on page 3, I didn't realize this turned into an HNGD! thread.

woo hoo!

Hey, it's all cool. Part of me is still scatching my head with it too.

I'll have a better idea about it after I get it set up properly. Action lowered, better strings, p'ups dialed in, etc.

I think the definite pluses I've noted so far are A) great sustain - like an old fashioned nonchambered LP Std is known for, & B) the tone pots really do tame the Alnico II p'ups on this guitar without creating muddy overtones. The special capacitors really seem to do their job.

But I also do love the look. Dern thing is heavy though. I was getting used to a bit more chambering which is cool when you're over 50 and the joints bitch at you more often. But interestingly enough, I just received yesterday a new/used Gibson LP Junior Special Singlecut 1960 VOS, and it's heavy like this Epi. I would have guessed light on the Special, but what do I know. :idk: Point being, I can't jump to any conclusion that the MIC uses concrete mahogany because the heft is similar to the Gibson CS model I just received.

More reading here on the model if anyone other than my OCD GAS obsessed self want to learn a bit more about the specs on these guitars.

There's thee tabs of Gibson promo here if anyone is interested.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Epiphone/Slash-Appetite-Les-Paul-Standard/Features.aspx

Archived