What do you guys think about the new Epiphone "Appetite" Slash LP Standard?

GAS Man

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's not exactly true. He has two goldtops and at least 3 bursts, and all of his vintage guitars all have the stock PAF pickups that came in the guitar.

Before they had Gibson 59 reissue Les Pauls, Slash purchased a couple of hand built Les Paul replica's. In the 80's when luthiers were building les paul replica's, they were using original parts such as original PAF pickups. Slash couldn't afford the pickups, so he bought the guitars without the pickups, and put Seymour Duncans in.

He actually owns a 59 reissue with Sheptone pickups.

Right I dont expect him to rip out the PAFs from vintage Gibsons, but all his Signature guitars from over the years have featured the SD Alnico 2s, haven't they?

I thought I read in an interview that the LP copy he got in the 80s already had the Duncans in it as that was what the luthier thought had the most vintage PAF-like tone at the time.

• Members

Right I dont expect him to rip out the PAFs from vintage Gibsons, but all his Signature guitars from over the years have featured the SD Alnico 2s, haven't they?

I thought I read in an interview that the LP copy he got in the 80s already had the Duncans in it as that was what the luthier thought had the most vintage PAF-like tone at the time.

Slash had been using Alnico II pickups before the derrig. His first Les Paul replica AKA the "hunter burst" which he later sold to support his heroin addiction, was loaned to him by Hubbie Hufferman, it came with original PAF pickups. Hubbie loaned Slash the guitar and he took out the pickups. Slash had Seymour Duncan Alnico II's installed.

• Members
:thu:
Hey I was just saying for
me
its pricey because Im {censored}ing poor. If I had the money Id rather have a Gibson because I dont already own one. It is a cool guitar and If youre into Slash and have the dough Id say go for it.

Thats funny Slash prefers the Seymours over similar Gibson models of pickups. I gues its because they were in that original LP
copy
and they formed an impression on him. If you haven't read the Slash autobigraphy you should. Its funny as hell. He used to call Gibson before GnR was famous and ask for guitars. They politley told him to get {censored}ed.

Oh, yeah, I got that. After all my original thread was entitled "What do you think . . " Sorry if I came across not respecting that.

And actually, the "Slash" aspect had very very little to do with it for me. It just will help a little bit when that resale day comes down the road.

And I did actually buy that autobiography last year, but I bought it for my wife. She's more of a fanboy than I am, but she hasn't gotten into it. I've been thinking I need to pick it up. I hear it's got some good stories in it. ;)

• Members

IIRC Jim Foot made the call on putting SD pups in that guitar, not Derrig. Anyway, I'm sure the slash historians on this board can straighten it out.....

• Members

Slash had been using Alnico II pickups before the derrig. His first Les Paul replica AKA the "hunter burst" which he later sold to support his heroin addiction, was loaned to him by Hubbie Hufferman, it came with original PAF pickups. Hubbie loaned Slash the guitar and he took out the pickups. Slash had Seymour Duncan Alnico II's installed.

Hmmm..Well the guitar he used for Appetite, which was made by Derrig did have the Alnico IIs installed. This story confirms what Id already read Slash saying in an interview. Go to post #33. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=129350&page=3

So he had another LP copy before that which he put Alnico IIs in? Intersting I didnt know that.

• Members

Lets say you paid $99 for it plus $8 tax. That comes out to $107. You sell it on eBay for $130 and pay another $10 in fees. You made $13. Nice "investment"

I was yankin your chain dude. If you really wanted to bash the Squier example, you should have brought out the time value of money concept with present value and then you could have shown me a loss.

How's your Andy Summers doing?

• Members
If the Slash Appetite never existed, would you have really bought an Epi LP Plus and then spent $300 on pickups and capacitors and another $150 on a hardshell case? I doubt it.

The biggest problem I have with Epiphone Les Pauls, even worse than the fact that they are made in China is that I can tell from 25 feet away without looking at the headstock that it's an Epiphone. It's the same shape as a Les Paul, but they just look very fake.

On point A, you're most likely correct on that. So I guess it's the "pre-assembled" part that got me. I also really liked the look of the flamed amber top and I really did have a hankering for an Alnico II LP. His first two models, the tobacco and goldtop, didn't interest me as much as it did Iowa91 ;)

[YOUTUBE]QaT3CDD2jag&feature[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

One thing I'll have to do soon is A/B this Slash guitar against this guitar.

035.jpg

That one has the '57/57+ in it, so it's also an Alnico II Lester.
I haven't had it out for a while, but I recall it was also a brighter guitar and edgie sounding. But it won't necessarily be apples to apples because I recall that guitar had more chambering in it than an old fashioned Standard. But it will still make for an interesting comparison.

• Members

Hmmm..Well the guitar he used for Appetite, which was made by Derrig did have the Alnico IIs installed. This story confirms what Id already read Slash saying in an interview. Go to post #33.

So he had another LP copy before that which he put Alnico IIs in? Intersting I didnt know that.

No offense but I don't believe everything I read. I don't subscribe to the theory "If it's on the internet it must be true" This is from last months premier guitar magazine

Guitar gurus Hubberman and Rist both handled Hunter

• Members

Slash was using Duncans before he got the Derrig.

Also we will never know for sure what guitar Slash used on Appetite. Some say it was the Derrig others say it was the Max. I've read several interviews where he says it was the Derrig, but in the Les Paul Legacy book he claims he used the Max.

Slash did a lot of drugs back in the 80's. He was heavily into cocaine and heroin and Jack Daniels. His memory is completely shot. He always contradicts himself.

In Guitar Player magazine shortly after the release of the UYI albums he states he used a Korina V for "Knockin On Heavens Door", according to his book he used a Korina Explorer.

He barely even remembers the amp that he used on Appetite. Hell when the JCM Slash came out in 1995, he claimed that he used that amp on every GNR album.

• Members
The Epiphone doesn't look anything like this IMO

Now come on, you can't tell me that that Epi cradled by Iowa isn't somehow far more beautiful than that relic you clipped in there, can you?

But one thing consistent in your posts, you're more hung up on investment value than most folks here. I have a mind to that concept in my purchases, so I at least always look for "a deal", but I like diversity in my instruments too much to get totally hung up on collectibility or investment value.

And although I might agree that MIC is not the most desirable moniker, I get a bit uncomfortable when the loathing of it verges on an ethnic bias. I've often stated that I think Gibson includes a bit of magic pixie dust in each piece, but I find the MICs to be amongst the best imports I've seen. But even my Epi '66 Wilshire, which arrived recently from the heralded shores of Indonesia and has a lot of imperfections, including having a sloppy cut pg and two knobs in the wrong position (i.e. a tone and volume mixed up), still sounds good, feels great and will provide me with hours of playing enjoyment.

Loosen up dude, buy yourself a Squier Tele Custom II to throw in the back of your Chevy. ;)

• Members
But even my Epi '66 Wilshire, which arrived recently from the heralded shores of Indonesia and has a lot of imperfections, including having a sloppy cut pg and two knobs in the wrong position (i.e. a tone and volume mixed up), still sounds good, feels great and will provide me with hours of playing enjoyment.

Loosen up dude, buy yourself a Squier Tele Custom II to throw in the back of your Chevy.
;)

Actually that's not even an Epiphone it's a Samick. All of Fender and Gibson's guitars that are made in Indonesia are actually made by Samick under the Squier and Epiphone brands

• Members

Actually that's not even an Epiphone it's a Samick. All of Fender and Gibson's guitars that are made in Indonesia are actually made by Samick under the Squier and Epiphone brands

That wouldn't surprise me. I remember hearing or reading a number of years ago that Samick was/is the number 1 guitar manufacturing company in the world.

You'd love the headstock on the Wilshire. They actually glue it to the end of the neck so they don't have to use a big enough piece of wood to carve out the angled back headstock.

• Members

Now come on, you can't tell me that that Epi cradled by Iowa isn't somehow far more beautiful than that relic you clipped in there, can you?

The one I just posted looks a lot closer to a real burst.

This is a real 1959 Les Paul that Maverick Music is selling

http://www.maverick-music.com/scripts/vintage-guitars.asp?idproduct=1922

That finish looks very close to the finish on my aged/signed Appetite Slash.

The Epiphone doesn't look anything like that.

I don't mean to be obnoxious but it just makes no sense why somebody that owns a 59 reissue Les Paul would buy an Epiphone.

• Members
I don't mean to be obnoxious but it just makes no sense why somebody that owns a 59 reissue Les Paul would buy an Epiphone.

It's because I'm an unabashed gear whore with loose standards.

Here's the purdy ones for you

GibsonR-9001.jpg

DSC01970.jpg

Today I also just received my new (USED) Gibson Custom Shop VOS Les Paul Special Single Cut.

I haven't taken a pic of it yet, but this is it from the ebay auction. (It was played in some jam sessions at the '09 NAMM Conference, i.e. the pic)

NAMM.jpg

In person it is a very transparent finish. Kind of reminds me of the inards of a malted milk ball. It's doing a bit of acclimating right now.

But 3 CS VOS are plenty for me. (I hope)

• Members
Slash was using Duncans before he got the Derrig.

Slash did a lot of drugs back in the 80's. He was heavily into cocaine and heroin and Jack Daniels. His memory is completely shot. He always contradicts himself.

Ok my only point was that he didn't put the Duncans in himself. He got the guitar for Appetite with the Duncans already installed, at least thats what he said in some interview I read. But like you said he was really wasted most of the time back then so who knows.
But I dont really give a {censored}, I have cheap guitars that have no investment value to play and Im wasting my time playing on a message board. ;)

Archived