What do you guys think about the new Epiphone "Appetite" Slash LP Standard?

GAS Man

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Again, begs the question: if one is to drop $1000 on an Epi LP, why not save $200 or so and get a nice, used Gibby LP Studio?

I'm not talking $1k though, I'm talking $849. Including a case and already upgraded pickups and capacitors brings it closer to regular Epiphone pricing. I already have 10 Gibson Les Pauls of various configurations, so I'm not considering going for "the One" on this deal. Just something unique and fun to add to the stable. I may back off, I may not.

So far, all negative comments except one (and a couple nods to the finish). That's cool with me, but I'd guess there'd be more psycho GAS'rs than me looking at this model. I must admit that I'm surprised Gibson/Epiphone is trying to get people excited by saying that they are limited to 3,000. :rolleyes:

dcooper, where are you when I need you!

:D

• 1 month later...
  • Members
ROFLMAO. $850 for an Epiphone.

Funny, you'd resurrect my thread just to slam it,

But that's okay, I actually like you. You're a totally unabashed snobby corksniffer but you add much needed balance. So thanks.

I did go ahead and buy this guitar despite overwhelming negative opinion. Guess I don't bow to peer pressure.

Now some of you may not now that much about the "GAS Man" but I do have more than my fair share of guitars,

And I did go ahead and get this bad boy.

$849 delivered. The case included is as good as any case Gibson has used, I've got silly little memorabilia to go with, like an autographed cert from Slash and his pic and his picks.

But as I was saying above - WHY? Because I wanted a Les Paul with Alnico II Pro pickups and this was as much as I wanted to spend. You see, I already have 10 other Les Pauls (9 Gibsons and 1 Epi Elistist Std) and I liked the idea of getting a guitar in this finish with those pickups, long neck tenon, and Sprague Orange drop capacitors. The tone I find to be a bit brighter than most LPs I own, with a bit of edginess to the tone. I find the Sprague Orange drop capacitors really do "do their thing" because you can roll if off and the tone is still excellent, no resulting mud at all, just warmer. On the down side, it did arrive with the toggle switch snapped off, despite a great case and double boxed with packing between the boxes. A close inspection shows the switch rod is pot metal chromed. So indeed, some of the cheap Chinese aspect is readily apparent. On the other hand, I'm liking this guitar and warranty is going to get me a new switch, so it's all good.

If you subtract the values of all the extras, I got this for the same price of any other Epi Les Paul. Plus, she's a beauty. The hologram effects you get from the flame top veneer are actually astounding. It's also a fairly heavily built Les Paul so the sustain is much like those of the ancient fables of Les Paul Standard lore.

10081514719-body-l.jpg10081514719-front-l.jpg10081514719-detail1-l.jpg10081514719-detail2-l.jpg10081514719-detail3-l.jpg
Yeah, the headstock logo is a bit cheesy, but really I hardly even notice it.
10081514719-detail4-l.jpg10081514719-detail5-l.jpg
I loved the way the grain of the mahogany was so consistent/uniform on the back of this guy. No grain swirls to hold back the tone here. 10081514719-detail6-l.jpg
10081514719-detail7-l.jpg10081514719-case-l.jpg

That's the one I purchased out of a pick of about 28 of them.

One of these days, guitarmandp, I know you'll be trying to buy it off me for 2-large.

But no, I bought this one to be played. Poly finish can sit in any stand all day long in sun or shade without me having to take its temp.

• Members

One more thing for those that care, both the Epi Goldtop and Appetite guitars are: long-neck tenon

This is what i was looking for, is it a solid 2 piece body or does it have weight relief?

it would be well worth the closeout price if it actually is a long tenon neck and 2 piece body.

Also on those other epi's that are spec'd "deep set joint" doesnt not equal long tenon right?

• Members

Congrats do you get an Elitist or an Elite? Either way both are good guitars.

This is what i was looking for, is it a solid 2 piece body or does it have weight relief?

it would be well worth the closeout price if it actually is a long tenon neck and 2 piece body.

My Epi is the earlier Elite. Very nice guitar for the price. I do also have a Custom Shop '59 VOS, and of course that's my best tone beast, but the Epi Elite is closer IMO to the standard of a Gibson Standard than a lot of Gibson LPs these days. It's built "weight correct".

I haven't weighed my AFD Slash Epi yet, but it's got quite a bit of heft to it. It truly does have a lot of sustain to it. The night I checked it out, I hit a note that literally wouldn't stop. It got this infinite resonating sustain going that I let go until my wife threatened me with abandonment. And that was just with a Fender Super Champ XD at modest volumes. So not much chambering on these guys.

And yeah, even though I do feel like I got a good price, with Gibson/Epiphone cranking out 4,000 of these suckers, there is a good chance there might be some good blowouts down the road on these.

• Members

cool looking but made in China, so you're gonna have crap wood and crap electronics. Cool if your a collector though

I really don't think any of the Gibson or Epiphone ones are going to ever increase in value.

If you are a true collector, the one to get is the aged signed one but at $11,500 I just don't see it ever going up in value.

MAP on The VOS ones were like $6,500, and I see them staying in that $4,500 to $5,000 price range.

• Members
Lone Neck Tenon makes zero difference in the sound. I have historics with short neck tenon and long neck tenon's

Well, it goes to 11.

Really, I enjoy your comments, but you're obsessing on the collectors' value. Epi's are made for and marketed for "player's" not collectors.

But I agree with you on the other thread you started on the "Collectible Epiphone Limited Edition 50th Anniversary 1960 Les Pauls" that it is BS.

I don't think anyone should buy an Epi with the thought of it being "collectible" and appreciating. OTOH, as I mentioned above, I did do just a bit of looking on ebay and saw that earlier versions of the Epi Slash were holding their value. But I really don't care if this one depreciates or not. It's sitting by my bed right now and will get covered in dust until I get bored with it. That's its immediate destiny. ;)

Next you're probably going to say my Squier '51s aren't going to appreciate either.

;)

And you know the one I paid $99 for did. :lol:

• Members
well i like em, and if they were $850 over here i'd snap one up. But our dollar is virtually the same at the moment and i've seen them for $1899 here.

I used a "15% off on Epiphones Deal" that Musicians Friend was offering and had another company price match that so I wouldn't have to pay their 8.5% in taxes. Without working some sort of deal, they still be $999.00 over here.

The one thing I have noticed that seems different about this guitar is that it does seem brighter than most Les Pauls. I think that's the pickups (hotter Alnico IIs), but OTOH, it could also be partly from the stock strings, which feel a bit cheap and wispy, or combination of factors including build. I think in a way, that's a good deal because it maintains more definition with overdrive or distortion. But the cool thing (as I mentioned above) is how good it sounds after rolling off the tone a bit. I believe I really can hear the Sprague Orange Drop capacitors doing their thing. :thu: It warms up without mudding up.

• Members

Question: Whats different about the Slash Sig Alnico IIs and the regular stock version?

Yeah I wouldnt pay that much for an Epi. I like Slash but thats overpriced for upgraded pickups and a hardcase. I actually prefer nice heavy duty soft cases. I could get a nice used Gibby Studio for that price.

• Members

I already have several Gibby LPs including three different types of Studios ('83 Custom Shop, BFG & Robot), a Supreme, a '59 RI VOS, a '57 RI VOS Black Beauty w Bigsby, a Classic Custom P-90, a Vintage Mahogany, Classic Custom Silverburst w 57/57+, and a '50s Tribute. I wanted this Epiphone to add to the herd not as my one and only, but as something different.

Question: Whats different about the Slash Sig Alnico IIs and the regular stock version?

Yeah I wouldnt pay that much for an Epi. I like Slash but that's overpriced for upgraded pickups and a hardcase. I actually prefer nice heavy duty soft cases. I could get a nice used Gibby Studio for that price.

From the Seymour Duncan site:

Application
Warm, moderate output humbucker. Recommended for jazz, blues, and classic rock.

Description
Like the standard APH-1 Alnico II Pro, this pickup uses an Alnico 2 magnet. However, the Slash model is wound with just enough boosted output to push a stock Les Paul toward the sweet sustain and rude crunch that characterizes Slash's sound as heard on hundreds of tracks. In addition, it comes with some of the same appointments found on the Seymour Duncan pickups in Slash's '86 recording axe, including single-conductor cable, long-legged bottom plate, and wooden spacer. For the true fan, or the player who wants to capture Slash's recorded tone, this pickup is a critical part of the tone chain. This is same pickup found in the newest Gibson

• Members
:thu:
Hey I was just saying for me its pricey because Im {censored}ing poor. If I had the money Id rather have a Gibson because I dont already own one. It is a cool guitar and If youre into Slash and have the dough Id say go for it.

Thats funny Slash prefers the Seymours over similar Gibson models of pickups. I gues its because they were in that original LP copy and they formed an impression on him. If you haven't read the Slash autobigraphy you should. Its funny as hell. He used to call Gibson before GnR was famous and ask for guitars. They politley told him to get {censored}ed.

• Members

So compare that with this Epi LP Plus top for $549

If the Slash Appetite never existed, would you have really bought an Epi LP Plus and then spent $300 on pickups and capacitors and another $150 on a hardshell case? I doubt it.

The biggest problem I have with Epiphone Les Pauls, even worse than the fact that they are made in China is that I can tell from 25 feet away without looking at the headstock that it's an Epiphone. It's the same shape as a Les Paul, but they just look very fake.

• Members

Thats funny Slash prefers the Seymours over similar Gibson models of pickups. I gues its because they were in that original LP
copy
and they formed an impression on him. If you haven't read the Slash autobigraphy you should. Its funny as hell. He used to call Gibson before GnR was famous and ask for guitars. They politley told him to get {censored}ed.

That's not exactly true. He has two goldtops and at least 3 bursts, and all of his vintage guitars all have the stock PAF pickups that came in the guitar.

Before they had Gibson 59 reissue Les Pauls, Slash purchased a couple of hand built Les Paul replica's. In the 80's when luthiers were building les paul replica's, they were using original parts such as original PAF pickups. Slash couldn't afford the pickups, so he bought the guitars without the pickups, and put Seymour Duncans in.

He actually owns a 59 reissue with Sheptone pickups.

Archived