Crossroads: Arsenal of cheapies vs couple of higher-ends?

brandass

• Members

I'm a dabbler by nature, and enjoy modding, so it's not surprising that I've accumulated a bevy of cheapies. Wide variety of looks, feels, tones, and flaws (or "character"), and I like that. Topped out space and wife's patience; policy is now one-in, one-out - without fail.

Along comes an axe that's a cut above in both quality and price. Tempted mightily. Would need to thin the herd severely to pay for it, though. Resale values are mostly lousy, hurts to let fun axes go for so little. Big hit to variety, too. But that new axe would be so sweet...

Please advise.

• Members

As long as it's not a trophy, I say go for it. My wife actually makes me acount for every red cent with the sale of gear (I have been known to fudge on that though). So the secret is to find the fluff or the superfluous without compromising the core (essential to you gear). My collection is now extremely ecclectic and on many days my cheapest (Fender Squier Series) is my favorite though I love my new Gibson, my Hamers and Washburns as well.

• Members

Me personally? After having experience with owning several low end, several mid range, and several, high end...I would most definitely stick with a couple high ends over several low ends any day of the week. The low end guitars I have right now are very very good...but they would for sure be the first to go if I had to sell. The high ends I have are like nothing else. Pure sex machines.

• Members

Me personally? After having experience with owning several low end, several mid range, and several, high end...I would most definitely stick with a couple high ends over several low ends any day of the week. The low end guitars I have right now are very very good...but they would for sure be the first to go if I had to sell. The high ends I have are like nothing else. Pure sex machines.

My thoughts exactly. :thu:

I can see owning one low-end guitar for raindates, beach playing, to use as an oar in an emergency, whatever.

One mid-priced guitar if desired or just forget the low-end model and get one mid-priced guitar instead. (Of course, pricing in low-mid-high is all personal)

The really nice stuff however is where you might start off uncomfortable in playing if you feel they are too nice, but after you get used to it, they are no different then playing any other priced guitar.

• Members

define "high" and "lo" end

I feel I have both. I would never spend more than 2 grand on a guitar, and I have only 1 that I paid that much for.

Going down in price I have a Peavey Wolfie, then an LTD Mike Wilton that I hot-rodded with better pups then finally an LTD GL-200 or whatever that cheap Lynch tiger is.

I'm happy with my guitars.

• Members

for me, 500-1000 is the perfect price for a guitar. its a quality instrument and i still feel like i can take it out of the house. i would rather have 4-5 at that price than one or two much more expensive guitars. variety is more important than absolute beauty. anything over a certain price point you are paying for looks, brand name and reputation. yes they sound great but if you were given 5k i would rather have a single coil guitar, a humbucker, a emg, a p90, semi hollow, hollow body, etc.

• Members

For a number of years all I had was budget guitars. Like you, I enjoy modding them and turning a cheapie into a good player that sounds good. Recently though I was able to pick up a couple Gibsons (LP & 335). Since then, my GAS for cheapies has really waned. I still have and enjoy a lot of my cheapies, and they still get a lot of play, but it is way harder to justify adding more of them.

So I'm not sure that helps you answer your question. I'd say go for the better one.

• Members

I'm mostly for quality over quantity. I have a stable of really nice examples of the types of guitars I like to play the most. I find, especially now that I have a home and a family, that my free time is better spent playing than modding, repairing, maintaining, refurbing and setting up a ton of guitars.

I've also found, in building my modest collection, that you don't have to spend big bucks to get high quality. You do have to be patient, a little flexible and keep your eyes peeled. Having those repair skills will come in handy too. My guitars are all MIA or MIJ and include boutique, vintage, and production line instruments. None of the ones I currently own cost me over $1000, most much less. I think part of the key is to not succumb to GAS and settle for something cheap because you can afford it now. Instead, I keep somewhat of a wishlist, and when the right guitar comes along for the right deal, I grab it. You have to realize that unless you're a full time studio guitarist/session player, you really don't need an arsenal of different sounds. And if you do want a lot of different sounds, you're way better off practicing in order to acheive different styles and feels. Different body woods and pick-ups will only get you so far.

You might find too, that the missus will be more understanding of your collection when it is smaller and of high quality. I sold off a semi-vintage guitar I had fallen out of love with, made a huge profit, and funded a nice little vacation for the family.

Anyway, that's just what I've found works for me. YMMV.

• Members

I'm mostly for quality over quantity. I have a stable of really nice examples of the types of guitars I like to play the most. I find, especially now that I have a home and a family, that my free time is better spent playing than modding, repairing, maintaining, refurbing and setting up a ton of guitars.

I've also found, in building my modest collection, that you don't have to spend big bucks to get high quality.
You do have to be patient, a little flexible and keep your eyes peeled. Having those repair skills will come in handy too. My guitars are all MIA or MIJ and include boutique, vintage, and production line instruments. None of the ones I currently own cost me over $1000, most much less. I think part of the key is to not succumb to GAS and settle for something cheap because you can afford it now. Instead, I keep somewhat of a wishlist, and when the right guitar comes along for the right deal, I grab it. You have to realize that unless you're a full time studio guitarist/session player, you really don't need an arsenal of different sounds. And if you do want a lot of different sounds, you're way better off practicing in order to acheive different styles and feels. Different body woods and pick-ups will only get you so far.

Shuddupp already. Not to be rude, but I kind of like people thinking that quality is an absolute function of price. I mean did you ever stop to consider why some guitars are such steals on the used market?

• Members

Shuddupp already. Not to be rude, but I kind of like people thinking that quality is an absolute function of price. I mean did you ever stop to consider why some guitars are such steals on the used market?

Eh, you can get lucky. I got a 60th Anniversary USA Strat off a guy on Craigslist for $600, and that thing is a ringer. I saw auctions on eBay for them at over $1000 (with bids), so I know it was well worth the money. I actually bought it so I could flip it and make a couple hundred bucks, but the guy selling it genuinely wanted to give it to someone who would play it. So, I bought it and kept it. Good karma, I guess. Anyway, price doesn't always equal quality on the used market. Often times it does, but there are those great exceptions.

• Members

for me, 500-1000 is the perfect price for a guitar. its a quality instrument and i still feel like i can take it out of the house. i would rather have 4-5 at that price than one or two much more expensive guitars. variety is more important than absolute beauty. anything over a certain price point you are paying for looks, brand name and reputation. yes they sound great but if you were given 5k i would rather have a single coil guitar, a humbucker, a emg, a p90, semi hollow, hollow body, etc.

Yup. Too expensive, too "nice," and it doesn't get into the gig rotation. So why keep it? I sold my LPC on this premise. The stuff I gig is nice but not so nice I'd freak out if something happened to it. At least not too much. :)

• Members

I'm a dabbler by nature, and enjoy modding, so it's not surprising that I've accumulated a bevy of cheapies. Wide variety of looks, feels, tones, and flaws (or "character"), and I like that.
Topped out space
and wife's patience; policy is now one-in, one-out - without fail.

Along comes an axe that's a cut above in both quality and price. Tempted mightily. Would need to thin the herd severely to pay for it, though. Resale values are mostly lousy, hurts to let fun axes go for so little. Big hit to variety, too. But that new axe would be so sweet...

Please advise.

Cool post.

I cut a deal with the wife...no guitars or related stuff cluttering up her living room & she pretty much leaves me alone with my madness.

Here's what I did to help with the storage issue.

stuff6.jpg

On all 4 walls.

shop3.jpg

As far as paying for the new higher priced ax...I use lay away & pay it off out of my pocket...no paper trail for the wife to see:lol:...I'm on my third lay away deal this year.

Archived