Crossroads: Arsenal of cheapies vs couple of higher-ends?

brandass

• Members

If you want a high dollar axe then get one but be aware that it won't necessarily play much or even any better than some of the great lower to middle price point offerings available. The resale will likely be higher so if you want to unload it down the road to replace it with some cheaper guitars or mod platforms you will be golden.

• Members

Shuddupp already. Not to be rude, but I kind of like people thinking that quality is an absolute function of price. I mean did you ever stop to consider why some guitars are such steals on the used market?

Like I'm giving away some big trade secret? It's mostly luck and perserverance, man. And like kayd said, maybe a little karma. You're not going to find those deals in the Musician's Friend catologue.

• Members

I'm not a compulsive buyer. It usually takes me months, if not years to plan for a guitar purchase.

I first decide what specs I want, then define the maximum budget I'm willing to spend and finally buy the best guitar I can afford.

With an disposable income that has increased along the years, this has taken me from owning a couple of quality mid-priced guitars to a small collection of high-end guitars (6 guitars is already a collection, IMHO). I wouldn't have it any other way.

• Members

IMO, weed out the cheapies and build a collection of quality pieces.

That's pretty much my feeling as well. Certainly the cheapies are valuable if you're a tinkerer or you want a guitar that won't devastate you if it's broken or stolen but it's a lot more satisfying in the long run if you can work your way up to some genuinely gorgeous guitars.

It's also a reward/encouragement for yourself, that you've progressed far enough in your playing that you have earned the right to play a nicer quality instrument.

• Members

Guitars are a means to an end. However they should also inspire regardless of cost. I know some very good guitar players that make $200 guitars sound beautiful. I, however, am not one of those guitarists.

I put music before gear, however I rather have well made guitars from companies I admire than unoriginal junk made by exploited labor. The great thing is that one does not have to pay a premium for quality. The only "strat" I will ever own, for instance, is a swamp ash G&L Legacy that cost me $575.

• Members

If I'm not using or bonding with a guitar, it goes by way of sale or trade.
I do regret selling a guitar that I wasn't using.......1964 Gibson SG Special. I bought it for around $250.00 way back when. I had a temporary lapse of sanity.:facepalm:
Regret helped me find my '62 SG Jr.
Anyway, I'm not opposed to using 2 or 3 guitars in a deal for one to get what I want.
That's a nice way to thin the herd.
Hopefully less is more.

• Members

After playing PRS guitars, Fender strats, Hamer's and Gibson's I can truly say that non of the High-End guitars have improved my talent!!

Dammit!

Unfortunately they won't do that. Given the price of some of those Gibson Historics, though you would almost expect them to:lol:

• Members
I'm a dabbler by nature, and enjoy modding, so it's not surprising that I've accumulated a bevy of cheapies. Wide variety of looks, feels, tones, and flaws (or "character"), and I like that. Topped out space and wife's patience; policy is now one-in, one-out - without fail.

Along comes an axe that's a cut above in both quality and price. Tempted mightily. Would need to thin the herd severely to pay for it, though. Resale values are mostly lousy, hurts to let fun axes go for so little. Big hit to variety, too. But that new axe would be so sweet...

Please advise.

Over a long period of time, you can eventually get to have a small "upper tier" and a big passel of cheapies. It will cost you some cheapies along the way. That's where I'm at.

guitarcollage10larger.jpg

Archived