Do You Know Any 'Tortured' Artists?

bogey_j

• Members

I know this writer chick who's influenced by the likes of edgar allen poe, burroughs, bukowski, etc. (the real self-destructive type) and its almost as if she brags about the mental disorders she has and the amount of medication she has to take everyday. She thinks she has to be messed up to create great art. Though I do think there is a link between madness and creativity, its like having something wrong with you has become its own chic nowadays and thats lame. I mean, I'm {censored}ed up, but I dont want to be or chose to be, and I'm certainly not gonna brag about it.

• Members

Its been chic since the Romantic era, when Goethe wrote "The Sorrows of Young Werther," which idealizes the belief of being "too sensitive for this world"---and was responsible for a rash of teenage suicides in Europe. The British Romantics privileged the state of melancholy as one of inspiration and certain American Romantics, Poe being one, were definitely in touch with the darkness of the human soul.

I would argue that today, most people are "lazy Romantics"--all about individualism and feeling, but lacking the conviction of the first group to follow through on our beliefs.

• Members

I would argue that today, most people are "lazy Romantics"--all about individualism and feeling, but lacking the conviction of the first group to follow through on our beliefs.

I thought 'lazy Romantics' was playing What I Like About You at 60 bpm.

• Members

In my experience those are the people who are more concerned about appearing creative, than actually creating.

Yes and no. I don't know many 'tortured' artists, but of the artists I've known - I don't know that I'd say many, but definitely more than your average bear - the best and most creative have all been f'n weird.

• Members

Well I'm a pretty upbeat dude with what I consider to be a very positive outlook on life. I have zero creativity.

Perhaps I should smash a finger with a hammer and see if I can write a song about it.

I do agree that there does seem to be a connection between a lot of troubled people and talent. I mean how many great songwriters died from drugs or went insane from drugs or just lost it along the way? I always thought that there was some kind of outlet or coping method in their art and that sometimes it wasn't enough for them. Whether their pain was legitimate or self imposed I have no idea, but I can see where there would be that perception.

Personally I'd rather stay boring and happy than artistic and miserable.

• Members

I think it's a cop out and for people who are craving attention. I went through something similar about 25 years ago, when I was young and took myself seriously. It doesn't get you anywhere. Buck up, we are all human beings and equal. We all have pain, don't bask in it. It's easy to see for the bad but brave to see the good.

• Members

In my experience those are the people who are more concerned about appearing creative, than actually creating.

This. And I DO know some very artistic people with some very real issues but they generally don't flaunt them for everyone except as they're actually expressed through their art, otherwise they're usually trying hard to overcome them as they tend to interfere with what they love to do: the actual creation of art.

• Members

The whole tortured artist thing didn't work out too well for Syd Barrett or Peter Green, IIRC...

Apples and oranges. Peter Green was the victim of an acid dose from a "well-meaning fan".

For every artist who carries a bag full of pain and creates masterpieces, there are many who do the same while remaining untortured.

• Members

I don't know any tortured artists personally, but like someone above said, the ones who were "tortured artists" were just being themselves and creating music.

Then there's the ones who spend more time looking and acting the part and drawing attention to their status as a "tortured artist" than actually doing anything of any merit.

Those are the ones that usually don't last. People feel sorry and listen to them for a bit and then realize that it was all an act. Possibly to cover up their lack of creativity.

Archived