Joe Satriani - A Personal Story

heem6

• Members

Met Joe at the airport on the way home from last years NAMM show as I posted here and he was just as nice as could be. Posed for 2 pics with me after I forgot to save the first one!! I told him about the 2 times I saw him live and he relayed stories regarding those shows and seemed genuinely appreciative to converse with an actual fan...Super guy...

• Members
I could be completely wrong too. But one thing is for sure; neither Satch or Gilbert needs to give lessons on the side to make ends meet; they do it because they like sharing with other people.

Just to add to this, Petrucci always does a free clinic every time hes in town :thu:

• Members

I love Satch, love him more with this story. Timmons is a lot like that too. He actually answers e-mails!

Andy was great when I interviewed him a bunch of years ago. I wasn't all that familiar with his stuff at the time but he was fantastic and then put on a great clinic at the store.

• Members

nobody can play the wah pedal like Kirk Hammett. Not even Satch. He sounds like a sweatheart of a guy, but there's no way he could match Kirk in a throwdown.

Well, considering that Satch taught Hammett, I would think it would be interesting to see them duel it out.

The thing is, Hammett may know how to slam the hell out of his wah pedal, but Satriani actually uses it to add to the song.

Even Hammett himself has said that he has abused the wah pedal, using it anywhere he could fit it instead of using it in a more musical way.

Also, Hammett hasn't really improved as a player since the mid 90's. Sure, he can shred, and he's a hell of a player. But much like Zakk Wylde (who I am also a fan of), he's found his style and that is pretty much it. He doesn't take a lot of risks playing-wise IMO.

• Members

Joe's the man. I've never seen or heard anything that would make me believe otherwise. He truly appreciates his fans and rewards them by being so approachable.

How many other guys offer a chance to go backstage and check out their gear and actually meet and chat with them when you buy their "premier ticket packages". Is it pricey? Yes. Is it cool that he does it? Very much yes.

I like Satch and Paul Gilbert because they are real people, not inflated egos, who happen to be rock stars. This is from Paul's site for his European VIP package, I bolded the parts that impress me:

Who can beat that?

I'd say it's true. I had Paul as a teacher many years ago and he was a really fun teacher and player. He totally loved hanging out and showing licks and songs and talking gear. A very nice dude. He's a regular guy.

Cool story about Satch..Thanks for sharing.

• Members

Strange how super-shredders are split between the most obnoxious {censored}ing pricks you'd ever have the misfortune to meet, and some of the nicest guys in the world.

Hmm good observation... maybe they are more down to earth because they put a lot of work and effort into their art, unlike some rockstars who get famous bashing out powerchords (not that theres anything wrong with that)?

• Members

A while ago (when HC search still worked) there was a thread about he playing a junk-guitar of a friends son-->HE COULD NOT PLAY IT as it was so poor set up and so much junk.Apart you humanity mentioning of above this gave me the biggest respect for him-->he is one of the 5 most gifted guitar players-->still he cannot overcome this guitar-->still he tries to-->LEARNED ME THAT GUITAR QUALITY AND SETUP matters

Other then this agree to most above except the Hammet quote(saw both of them life NOT SURE Hammet is that good)

Roland

• Members

I'm sure he is a nice guy. If you make your money catering to a very small percentage of the total population, guitar player's, you better be able to let them talk to you, etc. Your income is based on the total brand, albums, concerts, guitar's, accessories. Joe Satriani and Steve Vai have this package down.

• Members

A while ago (when HC search still worked) there was a thread about he playing a junk-guitar of a friends son-->HE COULD NOT PLAY IT as it was so poor set up and so much junk.Apart you humanity mentioning of above this gave me the biggest respect for him-->he is one of the 5 most gifted guitar players-->still he cannot overcome this guitar-->still he tries to-->LEARNED ME THAT GUITAR QUALITY AND SETUP matters

I recall that video...only I remember that Satch played the ass off of that guitar and did continue to talk about the particular guitar's shortcomings BUT still made the $100 guitar sound like a million.

• Members

Ha I remember this vid being posted ages ago...yeah its cool to see it again, and he makes it sound superb - showing its the man playing it that counts the most! The parts he couldn't do were the trem parts thats all cos there was no whammy arm on that guitar...and probs best there wasnt cos it most likely would have gone so far out of tune and ruined it.

Going back to the OP - lovely story, Joe has always come across as a real class act in all the interviews i've ever seen of him...you cant help to not like that in a person with such HUGE talent. He's down to earth and that will always get the respect of the common man - no airs n graces here.

It makes me look across the room at my JS1000BP and smile this story does! :D

• Members

Very nice of Joe and this is what I expect of a great guy like Joe - Her and Paul Gilbert both strike as this type of guy - a person, a teacher and a guitar player in that order.

this is why when someone comes to my office I never answer the phone - its rude and my answering machine works. when someone comes to talk with you and takes the time to see you in a clinic, at your desk, to your house - give them the time they deserve.

I was just remembering how cool Joe was when he hosted a clinic here at Guitar Center a couple years ago. In this day and age of celebrities and rock stars who ignore or disrespect their fans, Joe proved himself to be a true gentleman and good guy.

His clinic was just ending and he had answered the "last question." His handlers were literally pulling him off the stage. But there was a little girl, maybe 6 or so, standing behind me who had had her hand raised, but he hadn't seen her from where he was at the front.

Somebody called out, "Hey, one more question here" or something and held the little girl up. Like I said, Joe's "handlers" were physically hurrying him off stage, but he stopped everything on a dime and gave that little girl his whole attention. He didn't rush her at all, you could tell he just wanted to make her feel special.

Meanwhile, his handlers were checking their watches and looking obviously pissed but Joe paid them less than no attention. The only thing that mattered was that one 6-year old fan who wanted to know how he got started playing the guitar.

It just occurred to me that his simple, selfless act of kindness was one of the nicest things I've ever seen a rock star do, and I wanted to let people know what a class act he was that night.

• Members

Joe's the man. I've never seen or heard anything that would make me believe otherwise. He truly appreciates his fans and rewards them by being so approachable.

How many other guys offer a chance to go backstage and check out their gear and actually meet and chat with them when you buy their "premier ticket packages". Is it pricey? Yes. Is it cool that he does it? Very much yes.

I like Satch and Paul Gilbert because they are real people, not inflated egos, who happen to be rock stars. This is from Paul's site for his European VIP package, I bolded the parts that impress me:

Who can beat that?

Ya really, jamming with Paul for an hour and a half would be quite awesome.

It really is awesome if a guy like Joe can keep his head after all of the fame and people kissing his ass. I know he had to work to get to where he is today, that probably helped him in that regard.

Archived