Joe Satriani - A Personal Story

heem6

• Members

I was just remembering how cool Joe was when he hosted a clinic here at Guitar Center a couple years ago. In this day and age of celebrities and rock stars who ignore or disrespect their fans, Joe proved himself to be a true gentleman and good guy.

His clinic was just ending and he had answered the "last question." His handlers were literally pulling him off the stage. But there was a little girl, maybe 6 or so, standing behind me who had had her hand raised, but he hadn't seen her from where he was at the front.

Somebody called out, "Hey, one more question here" or something and held the little girl up. Like I said, Joe's "handlers" were physically hurrying him off stage, but he stopped everything on a dime and gave that little girl his whole attention. He didn't rush her at all, you could tell he just wanted to make her feel special.

Meanwhile, his handlers were checking their watches and looking obviously pissed but Joe paid them less than no attention. The only thing that mattered was that one 6-year old fan who wanted to know how he got started playing the guitar.

It just occurred to me that his simple, selfless act of kindness was one of the nicest things I've ever seen a rock star do, and I wanted to let people know what a class act he was that night.

• Members

While I may not be totally blown away by a lot of Satch's music, the man is a HUGE talent and a great guy.

That's one reason I have so much respect for the late Dimebag Darrel, too. Apparently he was once doing a clinic, just like Satch above, and there was this kid there. The dad said something about trying to scratch up some money to get the kid a guitar but the guy had just lost his job. Dime told the store owner to not let the guy and his kid leave when the clinic was done. When the whole shindig was over, Dime bought the kid a guitar and amp.

• Members

Very cool. I always got that vibe from him.

Also I was watching one of the G3's at a friends, Vai and I think Yngwie? or Petrucci? IDK.

Anyway, we both agreed he had the best solos. IMO, he kinda owned them. I was suprised, as I look at Vai as one of the most gifted players ever.

:thu:

• Members

I had a friend that used to set up the backstage area and fill requests for the bands at a large club that hosted touring acts called Parker's in North Seattle. He told me that Joe was indeed one of the few artists that was actually nice to him. He said that Joe asked for two tubs of warm water which he used to soak his arms in before we went out to perform.

Max

• Members

Joe's the man. I've never seen or heard anything that would make me believe otherwise. He truly appreciates his fans and rewards them by being so approachable.

How many other guys offer a chance to go backstage and check out their gear and actually meet and chat with them when you buy their "premier ticket packages". Is it pricey? Yes. Is it cool that he does it? Very much yes.

I like Satch and Paul Gilbert because they are real people, not inflated egos, who happen to be rock stars. This is from Paul's site for his European VIP package, I bolded the parts that impress me:

I love to teach.

I think the best teaching and the best music happens when musicians play together and listen to each other.

At these VIP lessons, I can listen to YOU.

A VIP Lesson Inlcudes:

* A 90-minute guitar lesson with me.

* VIP access to watch my band and me soundcheck.

* An exclusive booklet with my newest phrases and techniques.

* A Paul Gilbert Tour t-shirt.

* A set of custom Paul Gilbert guitar picks.

* A VIP Tour Laminate Pass.

* A new "Fuzz Universe" CD.

* Time to take photos and sign autographs.

* A ticket to the show.

* Every VIP Lesson is limited to 6 students. This small class size allows me to give personal attention to each student. I listen to each student so I can give advice, techniques, and exercises based on your current level and style. I'll also explain my newest guitar ideas, and of course we will play our guitars together and jam!

Who can beat that?

• Members

Joe's the man. I've never seen or heard anything that would make me believe otherwise. He truly appreciates his fans and rewards them by being so approachable.

How many other guys offer a chance to go backstage and check out their gear and actually meet and chat with them when you buy their "premier ticket packages". Is it pricey? Yes. Is it cool that he does it? Very much yes.

I like Satch and Paul Gilbert because they are real people, not inflated egos, who happen to be rock stars. This is from Paul's site for his European VIP package, I bolded the parts that impress me:

Who can beat that?

I saw this on his site too not long ago, if he ever tours around these parts id be soooo up for that!

I think he charges $300 USD for that, which isnt that much considering all the {censored} you get for it, i heard that Usher charged $800 AUD just to meet him on his last tour over here :eek:

• Members

While I may not be totally blown away by a lot of Satch's music, the man is a HUGE talent and a great guy.

That's one reason I have so much respect for the late Dimebag Darrel, too. Apparently he was once doing a clinic, just like Satch above, and there was this kid there. The dad said something about trying to scratch up some money to get the kid a guitar but the guy had just lost his job. Dime told the store owner to not let the guy and his kid leave when the clinic was done. When the whole shindig was over, Dime bought the kid a guitar and amp.

:cry:

Nice to hear these stories (doesn't surprise me AT ALL about Dime, as he was well-known for spending lots of quality time with his fans. RIP).

And for $300, I would jump on that VIP thing with Paul in a heartbeat. Granted, I play like {censored}, but a 90-minute lesson????? Sign me up. Now.

• Members

Dime was amazing. I have a friend who just accidentally ran into him in Dallas. He invited her and her boyfriend back to his house to hang out and drink. House rules were drink what you want, no drugs. She said he was the nicest, most down to earth guy in the world.

• Members

Great story - I haven't listened to much of his stuff over the last 10 years or so, but I really like his new album a lot. I did a clinic with Steve Vai last June and I was really impressed with how down to earth he was. He went way over the scheduled time, answered everyone's questions, and took a lot of time with each person during the 'meet and greet/autograph' portion.

• Members

I could be completely wrong too. But one thing is for sure; neither Satch or Gilbert needs to give lessons on the side to make ends meet; they do it because they like sharing with other people.

This story doesn't surprise me in the least.

Of course I don't know how many people out there would walk away from a little 6 year old girl. :lol: I mean I could see Yngwee waiting to answer her question too and he's one of the more notoriously 'not so nice' person out there.

• Members

Very cool. I always got that vibe from him.

Also I was watching one of the G3's at a friends, Vai and I think Yngwie? or Petrucci? IDK.

Anyway, we both agreed he had the best solos. IMO, he kinda owned them. I was suprised, as I look at Vai as one of the most gifted players ever.

:thu:

vai actually IS one of the most gifted players ever. On a technical level he's on another {censored}ing planet all by himself. But, satriani is a lot more musical than vai and his solos tend to be more melodic and easier to listen to.

• Members

I could be completely wrong too. But one thing is for sure; neither Satch or Gilbert needs to give lessons on the side to make ends meet; they do it because they like sharing with other people.

I would think it has a little something to do with their endorsement deal(s) with equipment manufacturers. I like Satches music a lot, nice to hear that he seems to be a real nice guy to boot.

• Members

vai actually IS one of the most gifted players ever. On a technical level he's on another {censored}ing planet all by himself. But, satriani is a lot more musical than vai and his solos tend to be more melodic and easier to listen to.

Agreed! And I put Gilbert in that otherwordly catagory as well.

Archived