Okay - NGD - But Here's the rub, and it is yellow. (SG)

GAS Man

• Members

Got mine too, the jury's still out. And where is the neck binding listed on their website and in the flyer that's posted here? I would feel good about using my tax rebate to sitmulate a US business. And it does match my '05 Melody Maker (single p-90). I've dropped the action a lot to get about 5/64 3/64 E-e, and still need to take out some of the relief from the factory. It's about 3x what it should be. Stock PU's sound good for classic rock through a SCXD's voice 3 & 8, tweed and overdriven british. We shall see.

Gaz

(Long time lurker)

Thank you!! You're right!!!!!!!!!! They advertised neck binding and I hadn't noticed that discrepancy yet. So that just won me an easy ticket to have them pay for return shipping and saves me $37. Thanks a lot.

As far as your keeping yours, hey, I really love my SG Faded, and right now this yellow version is cheaper on the SDOTD pricing of $599.99 than the worn reds or worn browns (although Sweetwater might give you that price).

But I really do like the sounds of these guitars, so I'd be keeping it if I didn't already have the brown.

Mine actually came set up fairly decently which is usual for factory Gibsons. There's some light pick scratches just on the pickguard film, so someone had been playing it a bit already. Maybe they'd also tweaked it a bit.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thing is, it definitely ISNT an ugly guitar.

Almost doesnt even qualify for yellow.

Personally, I like my guitars to have a little unique vibe to them, so that they arent the EXACT same guitars that you see day after day after day.

BUT>>>> I dont know about this guitar being the same, nicer, whatever, i can only go by your evaluation of it.

If you think it is just the same, it could be, OR it could be even worse than that because they usually dont use select pieces of wood in a solid painted body, or at least they would be less likely too.

It probably makes absolutely no difference, but I just wanted to point out that possibility, while you are trying to decide to keep it or not.

I like the looks of it though.

• Members

Thing is, it definitely ISNT an ugly guitar.

Almost doesnt even qualify for yellow.

Personally, I like my guitars to have a little unique vibe to them, so that they arent the EXACT same guitars that you see day after day after day.

BUT>>>> I dont know about this guitar being the same, nicer, whatever, i can only go by your evaluation of it.

If you think it is just the same, it could be, OR it could be even worse than that because they usually dont use select pieces of wood in a solid painted body, or at least they would be less likely too.

It probably makes absolutely no difference, but I just wanted to point out that possibility, while you are trying to decide to keep it or not.

I like the looks of it though.

Thanks for the feedback.

Back there on post 24, I mentioned I've decided to send 'er back.

I had Sweetwater send me this one as an upgrade replacement. I was really intrigued by a BB1/BB2 SG.

001880363-front-l.jpg

• Members

Just finished my setup and it's good. Neck Relief at .008" (was .020"+), action down to 4/64"-3/64" E-e at 12th fret, and intonation set with room to spare on both sides of all saddles. Little or no buzz or rattles. Had to raise the stopbar quite a bit for the strings to clear the rear of the bridge though.

As I said before, the worn yellow is a pretty good companion for my TV Yellow Melody Maker. It is a shade or two lighter in color and the hue is a couple of steps toward vintage white from TV Yellow.

I'm beginning to see why the faded line gets the praise it does around here. I like matte finishes like Fender's Hwy 1 series (I have a strat and tele) and as long as the neck is relatively smooth, I can live with the open grain spots on the body. I was, however, expecting a little more filler/sanding/buffing and neck binding for the $100 street price difference. However, considering the SDOTD price and the sweet setup, it may be a keeper.

• Members

Thanks for the feedback.

Back there on post 24, I mentioned I've decided to send 'er back.

I had Sweetwater send me this one as an upgrade replacement. I was really intrigued by a BB1/BB2 SG.

001880363-front-l.jpg

:love:now thats much better, as soon as you get her besure to post a ngd thread and pic. you know why:thu:

• Members

:love:now thats much better, as soon as you get her besure to post a ngd thread and pic. you know why:thu:

Will do!

I know my wife will actually diss it because she says I have too many red guitars. I don't think so. Red's one of my faves.

But with the extra carvings and the lively BB pups, it should be interesting.

I've got a Rick 360-12 on order to show up in Nov and someday I want an acoustic dreadnaught, but other than that, I need to go 12-step; and this time, I don't mean 12 per year. ;)

• Members

I Remember everyone bashingf this carved top when it first got posted.

I liked it from the start.

Now everyone else all of a sudden likes it?

You guys do know that Malafecio invented this guitar dont you?

Maybe they're just being nice so I don't cry. :cry::cry:

:lol:

Who's "Malafecio"?

• Members

Maybe they're just being nice so I don't cry.
:cry:
:cry:

:lol:

Who's "Malafecio"?

Some Yeayhoo troll that only comes over to this forum to post troll posts.

one of his threads was stating how Gibson Stole his idea about the carved top SG.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

And, seriously....

I LOVE that carved top S.G. It has beautiful lines and just looks mean and fast!!!!

• Members

On the record it says it's a special. I'm not sure why exactly, I do know there is a limited number of them. The one I have came with a one peice body.

2e09efb8ac530d887215efd2f983b24c.jpg

1c4ec02b097b07e6c5ed1029d8796d65.jpg

Added pup covers.

And here's one of the tele for good measure.

92ec1d68fc8d61931dec519b89d20f4c.jpg

• Members

I'm sorry, but all of these discussions about "bait and switch" and misrepresentation are starting to piss me off, big time.

Quit buying guitars sight unseen and visit a local dealer. Otherwise this stuff is going to continue to happen, and I, for one, have no empathy for you, whatsoever.

Anyone who thinks that they are getting an "upgraded" guitar because the list price is higher definitely fell off of the turnip truck.

Archived