Okay - NGD - But Here's the rub, and it is yellow. (SG)

GAS Man

• Members

The SG special in yellow, isn't apart of the faded line. It's a special, some limited run.

They are bit more expensive than their faded counterparts.

And here's one coming in my front door

DSC01850.jpg

I dunno what to say. Great guitar, but contrary to my conjecture and Mr. Tramples' conviction above from a recent previous thread, this guitar feels no different than the SG Faded Special series. It has a rougher finish than the SG Special Series. So other than color and the nicer gigbag, it offers me nothing more than this dude, which is probably a hair sexier IMO. Another words, turns out these are nothing more than a Faded Special.

GibsonFadedBrothers.jpg

I might just end up sending it back, not sure yet.

But it bugs me that MF and Gibson just gave it a higher suggested MSRP ($1,592), tweaked the catalog price higher than the Fadeds ($999.99), then put it on sale ($899, then $799, then $699), and then put it on the SDOTD sale ($599.99), and gave it a different name of SG Special Faded Yellow, instead of just calling it an SG Faded Special Worn Yellow. Misleading buggers.

But it's the usual "sounds great, feels great" SG Faded Special with a nicer gigbag.

But now I have a conundrum.

I think I hear a Diablo calling.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd swap out the reflector knobs before i sent it back..hehehe, j/k, really, i wouldnt do something like that...i'd think about it though.

Hey, I hadn't noticed the reflector knob difference yet! :thu:

Now I see the justification for the extra $534 MSRP! :lol:

• Members

Just took one more pic.

It's hard to shoot a yallar guitar this time of night. The yellow saturates with light, so both pics have had a bit of doctoring.

DSC01851-2.jpg

But it has that sort of open grain look and feel of the Faded Specials, so it's not like a finely finished SG Special that then has a faded color added with a buffed nitro.

bottom, line (redundant) same as Faded Specials IMO.

Nothing wrong with that at the SDOTD price or even the current $699, but not quite as advertised I'd say.

• Members

I think it's very unspecial...

Unless it plays better than what you have already, send it back.

That would probably be the best decision. I was also hoping the color would be close to a TV yellow, but I think it's a hair more yellow than that.

• Members

And how do my pics compare against this MF web shot? I think the yellow looks a bit lighter here, don't you?

Not only brighter, but you don't see that "open grain" texture at all in the pic.

At least they didn't do that silly rubbing out of the finish around the knobs like on the yellow faded double-cut LPs.

• Members

Not only brighter, but you don't see that "open grain" texture at all in the pic.

At least they didn't do that silly rubbing out of the finish around the knobs like on the yellow faded double-cut LPs.

Yeah, it really does have that open grain look to it, here's a couple close-ups.

upper right horn

DSC01852.jpg

lower left bout

DSC01853.jpg

I wonder if I could get MF to eat the return shipping. It's not defective, but not what I expected based on their representation.

Again, not a bad guitar at all, just not what I was going for.

• Members

And how do my pics compare against this MF web shot?

535065.jpg

I think the yellow looks a bit lighter here, don't you?

Actually, you can see the open grain in this picture quite easily. Lighter color, yes, but the same type of paint job.

• Members

I'd rock it happily! Wish I had the cash, I would LOVE to pick one up. Nothing you want in trade, is there GAS Man? I've got something of an SG itch at the mo'...

Well, what I decided to do was ship it back and I placed an order for Sweetwater's last Diablo. Too much money to spend I know, but the Diablo will be different with the Burstbuckers, whereas this Faded Yellow is the same as my Faded Worn Brown. Got a good deal from SW, but it will still be another grand over this guy. :freak:

And yeah, RaVenCAD, I can now see the grain in the web shot if I squint real hard. But it was still a deceptive marketing ad.

Those buggers. :mad:

But not a bad guitar if you like French's. ;)

• Members

Got mine too, the jury's still out. And where is the neck binding listed on their website and in the flyer that's posted here? I would feel good about using my tax rebate to sitmulate a US business. And it does match my '05 Melody Maker (single p-90). I've dropped the action a lot to get about 5/64 3/64 E-e, and still need to take out some of the relief from the factory. It's about 3x what it should be. Stock PU's sound good for classic rock through a SCXD's voice 3 & 8, tweed and overdriven british. We shall see.

Gaz

(Long time lurker)

Archived