Okay - NGD - But Here's the rub, and it is yellow. (SG)

GAS Man

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm sorry, but all of these discussions about "bait and switch" and misrepresentation are starting to piss me off, big time.

Quit buying guitars sight unseen and visit a local dealer. Otherwise this stuff is going to continue to happen, and I, for one, have no empathy for you, whatsoever.

Anyone who thinks that they are getting an "upgraded" guitar because the list price is higher definitely fell off of the turnip truck.

I'm sorry, but your comments about quit buying sight unseen are starting to piss me off, big time.

You don't have a clue what is available in my area. :rolleyes:

If I could get the same selections and competitive pricing nearby, it'd be a "no duh". But the thought of spending one of my weekend days and driving a couple hundred miles going to the toy stores to oogle guitars no longer works for me. And for the most part, I've gotten incredible deals on-line which are rarely matched at the brick and mortars.

I've never seen you be quite so {censored}ing insulting before. Get over yourself "doc". You're condescending attitude just gets piled higher and deeper.

• Members

I'm sorry, but all of these discussions about "bait and switch" and misrepresentation are starting to piss me off, big time.

Quit buying guitars sight unseen and visit a local dealer. Otherwise this stuff is going to continue to happen, and I, for one, have no empathy for you, whatsoever.

Anyone who thinks that they are getting an "upgraded" guitar because the list price is higher definitely fell off of the turnip truck.

Lemme guess...pain meds? :lol:

• Members

Gentlemen, getting back on topic:

1. This is a MF exclusive, not available at a Mom & Pop.

2. It was advertised as having neck binding.

3. Judicious use of "Worn" instead of "Faded" in describing the finish.

These are legitimate issues. Assigning some premium to the very nice TKL gigbag and snagging a "special" color for the SDOTD price is still something. Now, scoring a nice used one in brown for

Peace.

• Members

These weren't exclusive to MF, I bought this one locally, and I'm located in ottawa, they had two in the shop. They were priced at almost a grand also. I went over them with a fine tooth comb, and each were a one piece body. They are a limited run, part of the "special" line. They aren't fadeds, on the books anyhow.

• Members

i bought one and it plays great and love looking at the color. saw that MF mini catalog and the price was 799 and i had some bad thoughts running through my mind. then MF website lowered to 699 and as my hand was getting the credit card out, Mr. Vinhoff let us know that it would be a SDOTD last Sunday. so i waited and at 599 excellent deal. it is really the same as the faded but i really wanted this color. upgrade gig bag (they lied about the binding but it's no biggie) and based on the faded list of 1060 it was approx 45% off. so i don't really think anyone got "taken" on this price. and of course if anyone did feel "taken" then send it back. you can always say it's defective because there's no neck binding as advertised and get return shipping free. hey OT but just want to say the SG Classic exclusive at MF w/p90's is also an awesome guitar.

• Members

These weren't exclusive to MF, I bought this one locally, and I'm located in ottawa, they had two in the shop. They were priced at almost a grand also. I went over them with a fine tooth comb, and each were a one piece body. They are a limited run, part of the "special" line. They aren't fadeds, on the books anyhow.

I stand corrected on the "exclusive". And mine is a two piece body.

• Members

Have you warmed up to it?

Oh yeah. Aside from a Kalamazoo I had some 40 years ago, my herd was missing a SG. I like the more rearward location of the "waist" compared to a LP. It really opens up the neck (17th fret and higher) for a big guy (3x) that plays a lot while sitting without a strap. Teles and Strats are comfortable, but the SG is roomy.

The 490R/T combo works for me. A little bright, but roll off a touch of the highs (tone at 6 to 8) and I'm good. The Alnico II magnet seems a little smoother than the Alnico 5 DiMarzio Classic PAF set installed in my Epi LP Custom. Outstanding sustain.

I like the color. It's a more pale than TV Yellow. A few years in my not non-smoking playing area and it'll look more like an old yellowed vintage white. Great neck, requires less relief than any other guitar I have, and the 50's profile fits well.

Buying new v. used applies my economic stimulus tax rebate in the manner intended, it's essentially a "free" guitar. What's not to like?

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Going through my guitars to thin the herd and decided to give the SG Faded/Worn Yellow a spin to evaluate. WOW after 2 years still lovin' this SG. Yeah basically same specs as the faded and same pickups but it still feels and sounds great to me and I really dig the yellow.

I still see this guitar at Best Buy Northridge for 999. Just hanging there way up high. Guess it'll eventually go to clearance.

Picked up a Les Paul Special (really beat up) at GC Used a while back and it also has same pups and is just one fantastic guitar.

• Members

Going through my guitars to thin the herd and decided to give the SG Faded/Worn Yellow a spin to evaluate. WOW after 2 years still lovin' this SG. Yeah basically same specs as the faded and same pickups but it still feels and sounds great to me and I really dig the yellow.

I still see this guitar at Best Buy Northridge for 999. Just hanging there way up high. Guess it'll eventually go to clearance.

Picked up a Les Paul Special (really beat up) at GC Used a while back and it also has same pups and is just one fantastic guitar.

:wave:

Good to hear you're still loving that guitar. I was a happy camper with mine, but I just already had the SG Specials in faded brown and a blue mist with an ebony board, so I just didn't need the third 490/490 SG so I found a new home for mine. But I do indeed like those pickups myself. I feel like I'm a bit of an odd man out here on HCEG because I prefer that combo over the harder rocking 490/498. I originally ordered that "worn yellow" because it looked more like a like TV Yellow on the MF webshots, but the color was stronger yellow than I expected. I did just recently finally get a guitar that is TV Yellow, a Custom LP Special, so I finally got the color I was going for. Although even that one is a more intense yellow than I was hoping for, but at least this time I know it's "correct".

Good to hear from you and glad you're still enjoying the guitar.

Nice looking combo here don't you think?

DSC01863.jpg

Archived