Gibson 60s Tribute SG - Unhappy NGD & Gibson Fail

curseoftruth

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Send it back and upgrade to the SG Classic.

My SG Classic from 2007 had a small cosmetic gouge in the fretboard that QA let slip through, but otherwise it was a flawless guitar. I drooled over those tribute SG's with the natural finish, too. But the classy-looking Classic is hard to beat. The faded finished guitars are hit or miss at best.

I used to own a Classic, yes it was nice, but I didn't bond with it for some reason. When you play in a band, there are certain guitars amps that work better than others and certainly better than just bedroom playing. I didn't expect to join a band around that time and the amp and guitars I had were great bedroom players, not so much in a band situation for what we played. I sold it and bought my Orange 4x12 which I still own and use weekly so was a good deal to sell. This is the 3 or 4th (I've had a bunch, don't remember) SG I've tried. From 2000 to 2008 I went through guitar like a newborn goes through diapers. I bought, sold, traded almost weekly it seemed. I'm about to box it up and its going to UPS, I'll snap some pix before I do. Don't think I can capture the sand like things under the satin coat in a picture, they are not very visible but boy can you feel them all over the body.

I have to say I was really defeated last night when this came in, I had high hopes.

• Members

Why would I want a guitar with he worst feeling necks ever made and some of the most lifeless pickups next to EMGs available?

Same reasons for why I bought one? Oh, wait, I upgraded the pickups... :p

I don't think it's an accurate comparison with the two models... early CE had maple tops on alder bodies, then maple tops on mahogany (closer to a LP).

• Members

Why would I want a guitar with he worst feeling necks ever made and some of the most lifeless pickups next to EMGs available?

I actually have a CE22 I bought somewhere around the middle 90s that sounds fan{censored}ingtastic. I has the original dragon pickups in it. But whatever makes up that guitar, its tone has more soul than most of the guitars in my collection. Unfortunately though, it's not one of my top faves to play because of the wide-thin neck it came with, so I'm on the same page with you there. But over the years I've become a bit more comfortable with that design.

• Members

How thew {censored} did PRS even get in this thread. I hate PRS guitars, I don't give a rats ass if you, your mom or anybody else likes them or not. Necks don't work for me at all and most I've played sound pretty dead. Yes they look nice, build quality is great and some of you might like them. If I want a wide flat neck with lifeless pickups, I'll buy a cheap Ibanez, which of course I wouldn't do.

• Members

Yeah, I guess SQL uses that construct, but man, that makes no sense. If something is not less than, and not greater than, it must be equal to.

Think of it as "" means less than OR greater than (which is the same as saying not equal to).

• Members

Three points:

Anybody who gets a bad guitar from any company is unlucky and should send it back.

Try before you buy.

Gibson make great guitars.

Gibson make some great guitars for sure but when your paying top dollar, quality control should not be an issue.

You never hear of someone getting a bad PRS... Even if you don't like them at least they have quality control.

Archived