Gibson 60s Tribute SG - Unhappy NGD & Gibson Fail

curseoftruth

• Members

First let me say that I have a Faded Flying V and a Les Paul Faded (LPVM) that I LOVE to death. My two favorite guitars in fact. So when the Tribute 60s SGs were announced, I ordered a natural one as soon as I could. Just came in today - and right off the bat it was fail. I'm not sure pictures can capture everything, I'll take some in a bit, but here are the problems:

1. Gig bag to small, took me 3-4 minutes to get that thing out of there, was wedged in. And the quality of the gig bag is {censored}, really cheap. I've had other Gibson's with gig bags and they quality was good.

2. The finish. OK, its faded, I get it. But it has dirt particles all over the front that were coated over with the satin clean coat! Not a few, dozens of them, so the finish feels really rough like it has pieces of sand on it that won't wipe off.

3. The multi piece body is matched well but there is some other huge finish flaw that I can't describe along the top part of the guitar (if you are holding it like your playing it). It looks like it ran and dried white, so there is a big white streak along the front face of the body!

4. There is a DENT in the back of the guitar.

Unbelievable that this thing made through any kind of QA process. I have been a staunch supporter of Gibson and have blown off the other QA threads, but here it is boys and girls first hand, just a terrible finish out on this guitar, horrible in fact. And again, I love the faded series guitars. Over stated line - but EPIC FAIL.

I does play and sound well, but I can't see laying out my hard earned money for this thing as it is. I'll post pix later when I calm down, I am PISSED.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Honestly, I was always nay-saying this series when the hype was building. It's a guitar that Gibson made from the leftover scraps of their other guitar manufacturing. And they toss on a minimal finish, call it "faded" or whatever, and sell it for FAR more than it's worth.

$400? OK. But $700-800? Come on.

• Members

I just called where I bought it from and they are letting me return it and they have a black in stock, so I'm going to try that. I love the idea of the natural but I think that I'm going to stay away from it now.

I bought a B-stock Epi Sheraton last fall that came in 100% PERFECT. I'm still just not getting how a new Gibson gets out like that, but a B-stock that is supposed to have a blem is 100% perfect. Unreal...

• Members

That's a bummer for sure. The fact that it made it through Gibson's QC and got through the retailer's inspection is pretty pathetic.

Frankly I'd be more concerned over buying from a retailer that would ship a guitar like that to me than getting a lemon from Gibson. If I were to take a wild guess...MF?

• Members

Honestly, I was always nay-saying this series when the hype was building. It's a guitar that Gibson made from the leftover scraps of their other guitar manufacturing. And they toss on a minimal finish, call it "faded" or whatever, and sell it for FAR more than it's worth.

$400? OK. But $700-800? Come on.

told you so. Yoou should have listened to me

:rolleyes:

CurseOf, that is a bummer. At least they are making it right. No QC process is going to catch everything, not at Gibson, Fender, Porsche or BMW. Sucks when you're on the downside of it.

• Members

Frankly I'd be more concerned over buying from a retailer that would ship a guitar like that to me than getting a lemon from Gibson. If I were to take a wild guess...MF?

Ugh. Don't make me too nervous about the cabinet I just bought from them...

Anyway that really sucks dude. I was really excited about these new 60's Tributes too.

• Members

If this series is anything like the 50's LPs from last year, I'm not surprised. They seemed to come in two flavors, epic guitars at a great price that comes from reasonable compromises (multipiece bodies, satin finish, no binding), or polished turds....well actually satin finished turds. At least you can send it back, but still that kind of thing ruins the "new guitar day" fun for sure.

• Members

I've bought tons of stuff from MF through the years, going back to the catalog days - and I've never had a problem so I don't really blame the seller. In fact in their model, they get stuff in and just ship it from the manufacturer in the original, unopened box. I don't have an issue with that really. They handled the return professionally and were easy to work with. It gets shipped back tomorrow, already have the return label in my email. I'm trying an ebony one, so we'll see what that turns out like. If it too has issues, I'm done with the 60s series SGs and will just wait until something else comes along that I want.

• Members

Sorry to hear that, but not surprised. I had 2 Gibson 50's Tribute Goldtop LPs and 1 50's Tribute Worn Honeyburst LP and all had to go back. One had dings all over the body (fresh from the Gibson box!), one had horrible woodworking gouges on the body running parallel to the neck, and another had really bad staining that looked like a pot of stain had splashed on the back of the guitar. I'd be wary of ordering another in this series. Gibson doesn't seem to think that guitars at this price point merit any QC.

• Members

Well, from first hand experience, I definitely know what you're talking about with the decline and fall of the Gibson gig bag. They used to have great ones and then they went to absolute total {censored} gig bags on their most inexpensive models, and then to basic crap gig bags for all of their gig bags. I have a zoot coming in the mail tomorrow that's a gig bag deal as well. I can't wait to see which level of crap bag that might include, and unfortunately, the $40 MF sale on the very nice TKL SG hardcases is now over and they are now back to around $104. :(

But at least yours did have some decent grain matching. The one and only that I've seen pictures of so far should definitely not have ended up as a natural finish. That's the part I don't understand. When they are producing some natural, some red, some black and some white, why the hell would they send some of the worst mismatches out the door as naturals instead of solid colors?

• Members

No QC process is going to catch everything, not at Gibson, Fender, Porsche or BMW. Sucks when you're on the downside of it.

True...but to imply that all QC departments are the same, and it all balances out between companies??? Well that's clearly not true either. GM can't make a car as good as Honda. Gibson can't make a guitar as good as ESP. With some companies you are most definitely on the "downside of it" more often than with other companies building essentially the exact same thing.

• Members

Send it back!

Yes...send it back. You expect 'x' from Gibson. You didn't get that from Gibson. Contact them and tell them that you are returning it, the reasons for returning it and what you expect in the guitar that replaces it (if you are planning to get one in exchange).

• Members

Send it back and upgrade to the SG Classic.

My SG Classic from 2007 had a small cosmetic gouge in the fretboard that QA let slip through, but otherwise it was a flawless guitar. I drooled over those tribute SG's with the natural finish, too. But the classy-looking Classic is hard to beat. The faded finished guitars are hit or miss at best.

Archived