the Top 10 most successful (and current) Guitar Companies?

Johansolo

• Members

thought this could be an interesting discussion...

Fender, Gibson and PRS (PRS seem to be mentioned in the same breath despite having 40?years less) pretty much take up the top 3 spot (in terms of manufacturing success?)

im not wanting this discussion to be arguments about the quality of instruments or your personal preference etc More so the current companies that that are successful at outputting/producing instruments, with a name brand that is recognised beyond the guitar playing community? + making successful turnovers/company growth.

Would Ibanez be no.4? squier? ESP, Jackson etc

what do you think is the top 10?

Discuss

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Regardless of how anyone feels about quality, cheap guitars outsell expensive guitars by a huge, huge margin. This is because most people play guitar casually as a hobby and, for most people, guitars are toys.

I don't have the statistics and can't say this with any concrete certainty but I am willing to bet Ibanez outsells PRS just due to the fact that it has such a tremendous share of the beginner and intermediate market. I am also willing to bet that one of the bigger reasons Fender is the top brand is because they're counting Squier sales in with their corporate figures. You would all be shocked to find out how many guitars Squier sells. It's outrageous. Even before they developed a reputation as a solid buy, Squiers sold by the truckloads, just because they look and feel so much like Fender-brand Fenders and they are available at a fraction of the price.

Another thing that would disappoint a lot of guitar players is how many low-end units Dean and First Act sells. You won't see THOSE consumers here on these forums or at shows because those consumers are very young kids but they have spending power and cheapo guitars sell really damn well. I see Washburn attempting to move into that low-end Dean range more and more and it's just because the money is better there than it is catering to true, gigging musicians buying midrange guitars.

• Members

I heard once, maybe 4 years ago, that Epiphone was the biggest selling brand. I have no idea if that was true then or still is the case, or if that was the world or North America, or what.

I've also heard that Ibanez is the number one selling bass company (units or revenue -- don't know which).

Wasn't Kramer a top brand in its day? Look what happened to them after a while. :eek:

• Members

Wasn't Kramer a top brand in its day? Look what happened to them after a while.
:eek:

That's probably true, too. They were extremely popular in their time, despite their decline in popularity. Were they ever any good? I read an interview with Billy Sheehan that said he was approached by Kramer for an endorsement deal but the bass they sent him was absolutely so terrible he had to refuse. He went with Yamaha instead and has been happy ever since.

Oh, speaking of which, I can almost guarantee that Yamaha sells big, big numbers, too.

• Members

NO WAY PRS out sells Ibanez....and I'd be VERY surprised if they even out sell ESP and all it's brands. Hell...cort probably out sells them as well.

It also depends on how you look at it. By guitar companies do you include OEM manufactures as everything they do for other companies or just their house brands?

• Members

Oh, speaking of which, I can almost guarantee that Yamaha sells big, big numbers, too.

Yamaha is not much of a contender in modern times with electrics, but they are certainly one of the top sellers -- or THE top seller -- in acoustic guitars.

I believe I once read on their website that they are the largest musical instrument company in the world, as well as one of the oldest still in operation.

• Members

Yamaha is not much of a contender in modern times with electrics, but they are certainly one of the top sellers -- or THE top seller -- in acoustic guitars.

I believe I once read on their website that they are the largest musical instrument company in the world, as well as one of the oldest still in operation.

I assumed acoustics were inclusive. And, yes, Yamaha produces marching band instruments and pianos and keyboards and everything else you could imagine so they are absolutely the top of the food chain. If you play rock and roll music on an electric guitar and nothing else, you think Fender and Gibson are the biggest and they certainly are for that niche but they are almost specialty companies relative to Yamaha.

• Members

You gotta throw in Samick and Cort, as they seemingly make pretty much every Korean guitar for the other brands.

yeah for sure...it's probably like this

1)fender and it's brands

2)Gibson and it's brands

3)Cort

4)Samick

5)Ibanez

6/7)ESP or Yamaha

8)then MAYBE PRS

Again though how do you count? Cort probably makes Korean PRS, Ibanez, and ESP if not more....

• Members

PRS probably wouldn't rank tHat high in terms of total turnover, but I'd imagine that their US range performs fairly creditably WITHIN ITS PRICE BAND, and that both the US and Korean ranges are highly profitable.

If PRS weren't doing significant business, I doubt that Gibson would've bothered to take them to court over the Singlecut series.

• Members
Regardless of how anyone feels about quality, cheap guitars outsell expensive guitars by a huge, huge margin. This is because most people play guitar casually as a hobby and, for most people, guitars are toys.

I would also suspect that a large portion of the guitar buying demographic is in the 15-25 age range. That's typically when most folks take it up, or are putting bands together. At that age your income is fairly limited, which puts a severe damper on any kid's dream of getting that '57 Reissue Goldtop Les Paul - or even an American Standard Strat. Disposable cash is in far smaller supply, which puts most high school and college kids squarely in the low- to mid-priced gear market, which is what makes that lower price point so lucrative, and so high-selling.

• Members

Are we looking at success in terms of number of instruments sold, or success in terms of profit margins? I keep reading about how Gibson the corporation is always running at a loss, might die any day. I haven't looked up the SEC numbers, and some of these outfits are private. Or foreign.

• Members

with a name brand that is recognised beyond the guitar playing community?

If that's your criteria I'm not even sure you'd get a list of 10. Some non players might recognize the name Les Paul and some might know that Gibson makes it. Some might know the name stratocaster, but IME most non players don't.

If you said 'yamaha' to a non player they'd probably think motorcycles.

• Members

Yep, in terms of number of guitars sold, Samick is (or at least used to be) number one, with Cort and Yamaha being up there too.

Samick and Cort (Cortech?) manufacture lots of instruments because they are contract manufacturers. Yamaha is not part of that lot.

Yamaha used to design and make the high-performance Celica engines for Toyota for a few years back in the mid-80s, but that's a different division. ;)

Archived