Mojo Needed..Fellow HCer is hurting.

Kevman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey there forumites.

Just thought I'd drop in and say hi.

Dustball had more chemo Wednesday. The days after are usually pretty bad but Thursday was not so bad, today was an ok day as well.

Dustin finally got sick of his hair (what remained of it) and asked me to buzz it off. It was getting matted and tangled because he could not brush it. If he tried it just pulled right out so...now he has a buzz cut. Rather a handsome kid so it looks fine. I buzzed mine too, so he would not be alone in his lack of hair.

I got him out into the music room today. We actually had a little jam session, it ruled. I showed him a Bowie song and then we jammed a little AC/DC. Good times. We caught about 1/2 of the movie where the stoners are trying to get to a KISS concert. That had us both laughing pretty hard.

His head hurts and his stomach is giving him problems but, considering the evil concoction of chemicals they are pumping into him he is doing ok.

I learned that he has lost more weight than the docs want though. They are bringing in a nutricionist to help him gain some back.

Before he got sick: 225#

Wednesday: 176#

Yeah..I know...

He continues to kick ass. Every morning when he wakes up it means that he has beat this thing's ass for another day.

He has a new fish tank set-up..we have been watching the fish develope territories. Very theraputic for me anyway.

I visit this board many times during the day. I still read every post pretty frequently.

Some time this weekend I am going to try and Have Dustball play some on a track that I will post for us all to wail over. I may even get him to cut a lead but I'm not going to push it.

Peace out everyone.

• Members

My family and I send our prayer's. My nephew had cancer of the prosrate and made it.Treated at Robert Wood Johnson, New Brunswick NJ, an excellent hospital for cancer treatment. . Sloan Kettering in NY, is also excellent.Make sure you use one of them if you can there the best. Really suck's to go through something like this.I'll keep you and your's in my prayer's. Peace To You Rob.

• Members

Originally posted by Kevman

Hey there forumites.

Just thought I'd drop in and say hi.

Dustball had more chemo Wednesday. The days after are usually pretty bad but Thursday was not so bad, today was an ok day as well.

Dustin finally got sick of his hair (what remained of it) and asked me to buzz it off. It was getting matted and tangled because he could not brush it. If he tried it just pulled right out so...now he has a buzz cut. Rather a handsome kid so it looks fine. I buzzed mine too, so he would not be alone in his lack of hair.

I got him out into the music room today. We actually had a little jam session, it ruled. I showed him a Bowie song and then we jammed a little AC/DC. Good times. We caught about 1/2 of the movie where the stoners are trying to get to a KISS concert. That had us both laughing pretty hard.

His head hurts and his stomach is giving him problems but, considering the evil concoction of chemicals they are pumping into him he is doing ok.

I learned that he has lost more weight than the docs want though. They are bringing in a nutricionist to help him gain some back.

Before he got sick: 225#

Wednesday: 176#

Yeah..I know...

He continues to kick ass. Every morning when he wakes up it means that he has beat this thing's ass for another day.

He has a new fish tank set-up..we have been watching the fish develope territories. Very theraputic for me anyway.

I visit this board many times during the day. I still read every post pretty frequently.

Some time this weekend I am going to try and Have Dustball play some on a track that I will post for us all to wail over. I may even get him to cut a lead but I'm not going to push it.

Peace out everyone.

That's a strong kid, with a strong dad and family. Much mojo and prayers sent from Washington state.

• Members

Hello everybody,

Dustin has not been up for playing this week. I will get him to join in the HCEG jam soon though.

Tuesday was more f-ing chemo. It was the last spinal injection of this round. They also took another bone marrow fluid sample and another sliver of marrow for biopsy so we can tell along with his bloodwork where he stands. We will find out Tuesday when he is scheduled for yet another cat scan to moniter the size of the cancerous nodes.

Wednesday was unfortunately another son of a bitch for Dustball. They had told us before that he had to get his braces removed to lessen the chances of an infection in his mouth as he does not have the immune system to fight such a thing. His orthondontist appointment was for Wed. The oncologists called us and told us that his platelet count was too low to have the dental procedure done and that he needed a transfusion before going to the orthodontist. So he got up first thing and went in for a transfusion. Headache was pounding from the chemo the day before. Went directly from the hospital to the ortho to have the braces removed. Sat for another couple of hours head pounding and back aching (spinal + marrow all in his back).

Thursday was a home day. Too tired and head hurting to bad to move around much. Today his appetite returned (gooood) and his head was hurting less. Now his back is hurting all over. I know he sits and waits for me to get home and give him his nightly back rubs..this is when we catch up.

I am going to be signing him up for the make a wish foundation. He thinks he may ask them to hook him up with a meeting and lesson from Derek Trucks. I think that'd be sweet but whatever he requests would be cool by me. He deserves anything he asks for.

When I went into his room tonight he was holding a sweet brand new Jimi Hendrix book and a killer The BRICKS ATX sticker. These came from Raines from Germany and the ever hip daddy fresh JJ pistols. Dustin sends his thanks..BIG time. I can't stress how nice it is to see him smile (sans braces!) He really is quite the handsome kid if I do say so myself.

I went to a support group tonight for parents of kids with cancer.wow. It's hard to explain. Not glad to be there by any stretch but, everyone in the room knows what I feel. My best friends as cool as they are and as concerned and helpfull as they can be don't understand..These folks do. Making new friends.

I know I tend to ramble but this thread is one of the few places I feel comfortable talking about Dustball's fight. His attitude is good. He hurts but is remaining cool. His school has started sending teachers that will tutor him throughout the year this year. Cool.

His highschool friends are doing a fund raising drive for him. Very cool. It will bring him closer to the SG he wants so badly.

Last Sunday I was handed an envelope and card from his brother's soccer team with $260 in it they had collected at their seaon opening fair. They also dedicated the first win of the season to Dustin. Kick ass.

Ok. I think I'm done now.

Thank you. All of you for continuing to stop by and send your strenght prayers and mojo. I know it's helping. Dustin will get around to posting. I'm not rushing it. The internet has just as many scary things on it as good positive things. He is focused on getting well.

Corny as it sounds I love you guys. Rock on.

• Members

I appreciate you sharing this with us Kevman and I'm glad to hear you've found some friends who can relate to what you're going through. I can't pretend that I understand, but an overwhelming sense of love for your son shines through in your posts and I know that has to help Dustball. Stay positive and keep going! We're all pulling Dustball!

:wave:

• Members

Hey Kev and Dustball,
I don't post on HC a lot, but I read this thread everyday. I have 3 sons, so maybe I can relate to what you're dealing with a little bit. But probably not... you're feeling much more than I can possibly imagine. All I know is that it must be tough... very, very tough.

You're doing a good thing by sharing your thoughts and your day-to-day happenings here. That's gotta be therapeutic for you. There are a whole lot of people following your progress, probably many more than you would expect... and we're all sending that good mojo you asked for.

Hang in there -- I'm thinking about you two. And yeah, I think we all love you right back.

Bert

• Members

Kevman-I can only guess what you and your family are going through now, best I can tell you is medicine is moving along real fast, with regard to hematologic cancers. They know a whole lot more now than they used to and can do a lot more. I had a bone marrow transplant in 2002 for a related problem and am doing lots of gigs now. He'll be OK, brother, but as you've found, it won't be easy. He has youth on his side. He's added to my daily prayers!

Archived