* Frets: 21 Medium Jumbo

* Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm)

* Width at Nut: 1.650" (42 mm)

* Hardware: Chrome

* Machine Heads: Die-cast

* Bridge: Vintage 6-saddle

* Pickguard: 3-Ply (White/Black/White)

* Pickups: Duncan Design TE-103B Stack, Duncan-Design HB102 w/ Alnico 5 magnets

* Controls: 1 Volume, 1 Tone (reverse control plate)

* Unique Features: Reverse control plate, black chrome knurled knobs

554650.jpg

• Members

I like the u-shaped necks. I like relics but the LTD doesnt look authentic to my eyes. Which one has the smallest fret wire? That would probably determine it for me.

BTW, i love humbuckers in tele neck positions. Sooo much better than the thin, traditional single coil.

• Members

If they were in the store so I could play them both, I'd go with whichever felt better to my hands.

If I were ordering online, I'd probably go for the LTD.

In reality, there's next to zero chance I'd get either... in this price range, I'd either get a used MIM or a new or used Classic Vibe.

• Members

Neither. Get a classic vibe tele.

i voted for the Squier but i would also go with the classic vibe before the vintage modified ..I recently played both when helping a friends son pick out a guitar..I was impressed with the vintage modified and blown away by the classic vibe..I believe the Vintage modified is around $275 versus $350 for the classic vibe...

• Members

Of your two choices, the Squire. I don't like relic'd guitars.

For the people who suggested a Classic Vibe instead, that's the best advice. Of course, it seems you're set on the neck humbucker. In that case, the Squire you chose should work out nicely.

• Members

Neither of those two. First of all, I can't stand distressed or paint rubbed off or whatever you want to call it.

Second, I don't like squiers because the necks are way too narrow for me.

Third, I can get a better guitar for less than $350.00. Here are a couple of examples.

http://www.rondomusic.com/gravityntasvtn.html

http://www.rondomusic.com/gravitynthumas.html These two are $160.00

http://www.fretcity.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=413&category_id=50 This is $220.00

• Members

I don't know how the LTD plays, but that finish is so butt ugly. Looks like they dropped it in a concrete mixer with some hyenas in heat. Too much. I've got a CV 50's strat I like very much, for what that's worth...

• Members

If everybody here is telling you to get something (Classic Vibe Tele for instance) - RUN AWAY from it as fast as you can. I did the follow along thing for a while here and ended up with a bunch of cheap junk that I eventually sold off - I still can't believe the Bugera love that went on for a while lol, those things are junk. I've played the Classic Vibe series guitars, they are OK but not the next best thing to sliced bread as the sheeple on HCEG forum would have you believe. That LTD (and I'm no ESP/LTD fan) looks pretty sick though but I'd have to try one out first.

• Members

Well, it's hard to choose..

Half the specs of each seem unlisted...

fretboard radius for both

neck profile on the Squire

body wood on the LTD (not so much the type, but is it a laminate/ply?)

I like the Bill Kirchen style reverse controls on the Suire and I like that it takes a vintage bridge, which allows for a wider variety of replacements (if necessary). I don't like the idea of a thin neck on the LTD, but they don't list any profile for the Squire. While I don't might Relic finishes, I really like many, the one on the LD does not really look natural, which always sticks out like a sore thumb. So I'm torn. Features lean me toward the Squire, with a caveat about neck shape, but I expect the LTD is probably a better player with more consistent construction, but I really haven't attention to either brand (or new guitars in general) for a long time.

Ultimately, I find buying either new just flushing $150 of the $350 right down the toilet because that's how much you'll lose on resale. And while some people don't care about that. if you can get a $350 guitar (new or used) that'll play at least as well the guitars listed and still hold its value, that's just the wise move. I'm not saying there is one (none come to mind), and if not this argument is moot, but I would look. That $150 goes a long way if you decide to trade up or over to another guitar.

• Members

If everybody here is telling you to get something (Classic Vibe Tele for instance) - RUN AWAY from it as fast as you can. I did the follow along thing for a while here and ended up with a bunch of cheap junk that I eventually sold off - I still can't believe the Bugera love that went on for a while lol, those things are junk. I've played the Classic Vibe series guitars, they are OK but not the next best thing to sliced bread as the sheeple on HCEG forum would have you believe. That LTD (and I'm no ESP/LTD fan) looks pretty sick though but I'd have to try one out first.

I can agree with some of this... there are a lot of fanboys on this forum, and the opinions you can get may not be completely reliable. In the case of the CV guitars (Teles especially), I think they really are excellent values in the price range. I tested them directly against Fender MIM, and I preferred the sound of the Squiers.

Back to the OP, another reason I'd pick the Squier out of your choices is that I prefer medium-jumbo to jumbo frets.

• Members

WHAT!!?!?! the classic vibes are the best things invented since the light bulb!

Archived