Daylight saving time

Bookumdano2

• Members

I switched back to standard pacific time a few days ago ... because I felt like it. I think it starts officially on the weekend.

We're now down to what .. only 12 or so weeks a year on standard time?

My question is, why do we even bother any more? Why not zap out those 12 weeks and just keep everything on Daylight time .. all the time?

I don't think the farmers with their cows here in LA .. or wacky commuters .. are gaining any benefit by 12 weeks of standard time.

So, what's the deal with this? Not why it was invented... but rather.. why don't we just drop the standard time completely. Which corporation or political group is benefiting ?

• Members

The reason not to have daylight savings time is so that people who do stuff Real Early, like get ready to go to school or work or milk cows, don't have to do so in the darkness.

As musicians, of course it's difficult to understand that concept. I broke off diplomatic relations with morning many years agp.

• Members

Unfortunately, as a "person who, while being a musician, works within the confines of the music-associated business world", and as a dad who takes his son to school each morning, I'm up at 6AM every weekday. It's been pitch black dark recently at that hour, so I'm looking forward to daylight savings to bring a little light to the start of my days.

• Members

As musicians, of course it's difficult to understand that concept. I broke off diplomatic relations with morning many years agp.

When my kids were little, I had a 20-year detour into the land of the early. So glad that part's over. Now that they're college age, they're much more in tune with reasonable hours (up all night, sleep until 1pm the next day)

• Members

I like Standard Time a whole lot. To me it's very civilized and human to have it get dark at around 7:00---7:30. These summer nights which are light until 9:30 are bull{censored}. Okay! So someone wants to play softball with their kid at 8:00pm, I get it. But I don't like it.

Aren't there conspiracy theorists who simply allege that the time changes are in place just to wrench every last gasp of work out of the American worker as possible?

• Moderators

I like dark mornings. So much so that I choose to be at my desk at 5am each morning. The various daylight savings adjustments go right by without too much notice other than a day or two of adjustment to wake time. Of course I did spend 15+ years as a night owl playing gigs. It didn't really effect me then either. Probably why I choose going early... just to bypass the effects of the sun vs. the clock. Never really thought about it...

• Members

The reason not to have daylight savings time is so that people who do stuff Real Early, like get ready to go to school or work or milk cows, don't have to do so in the darkness.

7a here on the East Coast and its still dark outside. Kids are off to school. Next week, they will have some sun. `nuff said.

• CMS Author

7a here on the East Coast and its still dark outside. Kids are off to school. Next week, they will have some sun.

And I've been cooking dinner on the grill outside in the dark for several weeks now. It just doesn't taste the same as when it's light outside.

• Members

I'd like to see the clocks set 1/2 hour in between and just split the difference.

I havent had to use an alarm clock in over 40 years. Dont even wear a watch and

pretty much know what time it is. When I sleep, I just tell my bio clock

I want to wake up earley the next day and always do. Sleeping in is harder.

After 8 hours of sleep my mind gets too active and noisy to sleep in.

• Members

Screen-shot-2010-08-27-at-8.18.12-PM.png

You just can't make everyone happy on this one. I like it to stay light, as late as possible. Being retired, It's not dark in the morning by the time I step outside. My neighbor, however, can't stand it. She likes to do her gardening first thing in the morning, and now it's still dark.

• Members

Here's a great video on the weirdness of DST. Funny and informative, with a great use of graphics!

Well that does it. I switched to standard time about a week ago ( a week early) and didn't conflict with anyone or anything. I'm just going to stay on Standard time from now on.

Archived