Oh shite: Peavey/Behringer Feud: it's ON

• Members

Mostly from long, long ago.

My high skool had a bunch of Peavey amps. Broke down all the time although they were fairly new. Not abused, as only those of us who used them had access.

Recently, my son's peavey amp crapped out after less than a year. The amp guy (authorized service center) fixed it, sent the paperwork to peavey and was told they will no longer support that model for repair even though it's still in production. Replace only.

He then showed me his "waiting to be fixed" amps. Nearly all were late model Peaveys.

EG

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I get the 5150 and Triple Rectifier rip offs. What are the V22 and V55 models based on?

I'm gonna go with the Crate Vintage Clubs or the Peavey Classic series. Or maybe even the Fender Hot Rods.

I'd have to see Schematics to be sure, but that's my guess.

• Members

The trouble with these lawsuits is that all a company has to do is change one cap, resistor or pot value and it effectively sidesteps and lawsuits. This to me sounds like a couple of major corporations in the same field whining like two year old brats.

• Members

I'm in the biz, so here are a few tidbits. Roland sued Behringer for "trade dress", their pedals looked like Boss pedals initially, but B changed the look before coming to market with them.(This was one of the few cases heard Stateside). Mackie had B on the ropes, until they blabbed about it on the company website and got called offside and lost the suit. Uli doesn't own the company, or anything, for that matter, it belongs to his mother. Until the Roland suit, B always got the trial venue heard in Germany, where settlements are in the tens of thousands of dollars, not millions, and once paid it's considered a licence to continue manufacture (that right there is cheaper than R&D). Way back Aphex brought them to court for copying the Dominator, right to the "Aphex" silkscreened on the circuit board.

I have no affiliation with any of the companies mentioned.

• Members

I'm in the biz, so here are a few tidbits. Roland sued Behringer for "trade dress", their pedals looked like Boss pedals initially, but B changed the look before coming to market with them.(This was one of the few cases heard Stateside). Mackie had B on the ropes, until they blabbed about it on the company website and got called offside and lost the suit. Uli doesn't own the company, or anything, for that matter, it belongs to his mother. Until the Roland suit, B always got the trial venue heard in Germany, where settlements are in the tens of thousands of dollars, not millions, and once paid it's considered a licence to continue manufacture (that right there is cheaper than R&D). Way back Aphex brought them to court for copying the Dominator, right to the "Aphex" silkscreened on the circuit board.

I have no affiliation with any of the companies mentioned.

Also, Uli gets most cases tried in Germany where, if you lose, then your penalty is about 1/10th of what it would be in the States AND you get to keep making the product with no fear of further legal action. The guy is one sly MFer.

• Members

frankly I don't give a {censored} who's ripping off who - I just want a great sounding AMP at a price I can afford. if that means buying Chinese I'm in.

U do realize that the Marshall tone is based off the Fender Bassman with a minor tweak right?

Archived