I just got home from surgery. have to sit around for a few weeks now.

twotimingpete

• Members

Bored to DEATH!

re. the surgery, back when I was a teenager I got pretty fat and then lost it all. I've kept it off, but I've always had some loose skin around my gut. I just had a surgery done to correct it and it was a total success. Took a long time to get the money put together for it, but six pack here I come. been waiting for this for years.

the downside is I'm stuck sitting/laying around with all of these drains hooked up to me. Pretty boring. I can get up and walk around but I'm pretty sore and tight so I can't really do much.

• Members

cool! its important to have adequate nutrition for proper wound healing (vitamin B, C, iron, and protein, and plenty of fluids)

what kind of bandage do you have? montgomery straps?...Pics would be great!

ooh, a bandage buff! I'm trying to get the right nutrition, I was told in particular to eat a high amount of protein so that's what I've been focussing on.

I'm not sure what kind of bandages they are, and I don't want to turn around and look at the box. I'm still learning the best way to redo the dressings but I have my mom here helping out. The situation is we're keeping the cuts (particularly where the drains come out) covered up with the bandages and then a compression garment is squeezed around me on top of that, keeping pressure on my torso at all time.

it's kinda itchy under there and pretty uncomfortable, but I knew the recovery would kind of suck beforehand. in the end it'll be more than worth it. the stitches so far have looked pretty clean and healthy, no signs of infection. I feel strong and alert, just sore and inflexible in the midsection. sneezing is the worst. accidently let myself sneeze earlier and the jab of pain in the center of my gut from the muscle contraction was pretty brutal.

re. pictures, I'm kinda shy to put gross pictures of myself out there, but I'll think about it.

I've gotten pretty itchy under the vest today, and I'm thinking that might be attributable to some of the skin becoming less numb than it was before.

• Members

Don't rush it and let nature do it's healing with clean bandages. Glad to hear you were able to swing the restorative surgery. Kind of a large scale tummy tuck?

I have been under the weather myself for over a month. Flu symptoms and sinus infection. I just went through 2 Zpacs back to back and can;t seem to kick it. If I sit for 10 minurtes, my arms and legs get so weak I can hardly get up off the sofa. I get chronic sinus infections right in time with the pollen every spring and fall but this is way worse. My ass is literally dragging. All I want to do is sleep but I don't get rested. Sucks.

• Members

montgomery straps are just ties made from bandage, you just untie them and change the dressing underneath. Great for multiple changes, the straps dont need to be change unless soiled.

what kind of drain? jackson pratt or hemovac? Hemovac has a clamp on it attached to a round container. when removing the drain take a deep breath and as you exhale pull out the drain, then apply pressure for a few minutes.

protein and vitamin C, C helps collagen formation which adds tensile strength to the wound (keeping it closed)

itchy is normal...sounds stupid but you can try contralateral scratching (scratch the opposite side that itches)..it can help. Also you can splint the wound by holding a pillow firmly over it while coughing or sneezing.

to asses use REEDA look for Redness, Edema (swelling), Ecchymosis (bruising), Drainage, Approximation (is the wound closed)...all of these are normal to a degree. also Look for purosanguineous exudate (pus and blood) which can mean infection.

Archived