I have this much Tinnitus

scolfax

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Over the last 25 years or so I really started looking out for my hearing. Between concerts, gunfire, and work environments its gotten to be second nature. According to my last work place hear evaluation, I have no appreciable hearing loss. Not bad for 48+ years old.

• Members
I just bought a pair of these this morning,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015WNZ9K/ref=oss_T13_product

21TFZVbU9WL._SS400_.jpg
If figure for $12 they are worth a shot.

Those are really good ear plugs. My wife gave me a set a year ago. They are the only ones I don't mind wearing. They let enough of the highs and fidelity to come through that I'll leave them in. Otherwise I HATE wearing earplugs.

• Members

Just curious at how many/how much Tinnitus we all have.

Sadly, I voted for #1. But some days (like today) are worse than others.

Growing up in a woodworking shop (with a father that was too old school to make me wear hearing protection) was the main culprit. Since I was 12 yrs old I worked in the shop full time during the summers. By the time I was 20 damage was done, and even though I started wearing plugs I can sense yearly the degredation of my hearing. (I am 39 now)

I doubt listening to a jacked up walkman for years (for you kids, thats a cassette tape playing machine you could carry to and from school ;) ) going to shows and playing guitar loudly helped, but I know its not the main cause.

It does get discouraging to know it will never get better... but then again, there are much worse things to suffer from.

AJC

• Members

Fair enough, sorry bebenavole, it just seems very strange that black people can't get hearing damage..

It's probably not "can't", but could be "don't get it as often". Easy enough to prove/disprove - only need to find one patient.

• Members

i voted no ringing at all..i dont have tinnitus..at least i think. Just every now and then when its quiet I notice a high pitch ringing in my ear...but then after a minute tops its gone...and it only seems to happen on odd occasions weeks or months can go by were it doesnt happen.

I have ear plugs (elacin ER20's) but dont push them in enough sometimes and some rehearsals i have not put them in at all..i need to stop doing that. Its something I really dont wanna get - ever if I can avoid it! I worked almost 14yrs in a noisy factory wearing ear plugs and hope they offered enough protection.

• Members

another interesting scary fact is that most guitar hero's seem to have it!

EVH
Gilbert
Eric Johnson
Jeff Beck
Townsend
Batten...from playing with Beck!

I've heard others mention it but suprisingly Brian May of Queen has never mentioned it in any interview that ive heard despite 3 AC30s dimed being his normal stage volume!!! Eric Clapton hasn't mentioned it also to my knowledge but many do say they've got it...and we know how they got it - lots of live shows with dimed amps!

Tinnitus is my worst nightmare - I hope I escape it!!!! I cant imagine it being any fun and dont think it a "rock n roll" thing to have or boast about. As musicians our ears should be protected as they are precious to us!

• Members

i have a constant low-volume ringing in my ears all the time. it's only noticable when i'm focusing on it. like right now; this post has me focused on it, and it's bugging the crap out of me. later, when i'm not thinking about it, it won't even be noticable.

• Members

i have a constant low-volume ringing in my ears all the time. it's only noticable when i'm focusing on it. like right now; this post has me focused on it, and it's bugging the crap out of me. later, when i'm not thinking about it, it won't even be noticable.

Same here! If I think about it enough, it bugs the hell out of me as well:)

• Members

Eric Clapton hasn't mentioned it also to my knowledge...

There are articles here and there that suggest Clapton is going deaf:

http://www.thedeafblog.co.uk/2008/09/eric_clapton_is_the_latest_cel.html

And don't forget Pete Townshend:

"I have unwittingly helped to invent and refine a type of music that makes its principal proponents deaf."

http://www.4hearingloss.com/archives/2006/01/pete_townshend.html

Offhand I think I'd rather go deaf than have the ringing. I guess I'd like to hear from someone who's actually deaf before I got to decide something like that. My ear doctor told me that one guy had the nerve cut from the ear to the brain to stop the tinnitus and the ringing came back 6 months later!

• Members

I know that white noise is a good distraction from it, but seeing as how tinnitus is caused by an overstimulation of your ears, wouldnt constantly being exposed to sound make it worse?:confused:

I think Ive got mine from constantly listening to loud music, at work, at home, in the car, in bed at night... sigh

• Moderators
:wave:
Too much rock n roll+loud machines=a constant ringing in the ears.

Advise for you young kids out there. USE EAR PLUGS!!!!!!!!!!

Nah, bollocks, would I swap all those years of being blown away by Marshall stacks, Motorhead rigs at Bingley Hall, standing in front of the stack at Monsters of Rock, with beer down the front of me leathers n denims and gettin tossed off by a buxon lass, for wearing ear plugs, ironing me clothes and applaudin with Suzy Creamcheese at a recital of the Boring Cunts Collective?

WOULD I {censored}!!:wave:

• Members

Had some even as a kid. Got into guitar and that built up pretty quick (stopped standing right next to the drums). Was able to get away from the loud stuff for a long while, but recently, have jammed with a couple of "jet engine roar" bands (Only once each), and had the mids blown out on some unfortunate stage monitor feedback in a church. Solved much of the problem for me by getting smaller and smaller amps and making sure the area by me is relatively quiet (not to mention always keeping a set or 2 of ear plugs in my gear bag).

Constant now (silence can be a noisy place). Usually sleep with some kind of noise on (sometimes the tv, but that makes for strange dreams).

Archived