I have this much Tinnitus

scolfax

• Members

My tinnitus isn't that bad, but I can't hear worth a {censored}. I qualify for hearing aids. I just can't wear earplugs and I'm going to keep jamming through a minimum of 1-2 100 + watts heads at a time as loudly and often as I can.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just bought a pair of these this morning,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015WNZ9K/ref=oss_T13_product

21TFZVbU9WL._SS400_.jpg

If figure for $12 they are worth a shot.

Also have a pair of these for when I'm recording,

530716.jpg

Too bad i already have tinnitus though, but I'll try to keep it where it is, it sucks bad, get some ear plugs, seriously.

• Members

Yeah I've got it. It definitely is from way to many metal concerts as a kid. Having the stereo cranked ALL the time and then taking up drums and jamming. It's too the point now where one or two more concerts will probably push me over the edge to real annoying tinnitus.

It's strange cause at night if I pay attention I can hear it. And it's always there. But I am very good at mentally blocking it out or ignoring it..whatever you want to call it. So 98% of the time I just don't pay attention to it.

I don't regret what I did but it's earplugs all the way these days. I keep my amp pretty low at home so I don't usually have a problem there.

• Members

I run a fan at night to drown out the noise. Too many years of band practice with the left side of my head next to a JC-120 and Peavey Renown.

holy {censored} i did the same thing this whole summer.

After five months of "fan treatment", hehehe i can fall asleep in a silent room.

ive been to hell and back with it this May. I had a real bad sinus/ear infection. Doctor gave me ear drops and the worsened the whole thing.

I couldnt sleep for months.

Its way better now, but definitely worse than it used to be. I am learning how to live with it.

Anysuggestions on curing it?

Anyone tried?

i am 29 and at one point this year i thought i just might stop playing because of this. I cant stand loud noises. Luckily i do solo gigs so i manage.

Dont know about drums anymore.The funniest thing is I wear pro custom made earplugs since i was 20.

a.

• Members

Enough to be bothersome, but I just drink to escape it. :freak:

:lol:

Actually very minor. Considerin my passions--loud music, electric guitars, loud cars/bikes and shooting, it's a wonder I can hear at all (my hearing is probably above average). I didn't wear hearing protection much up through college although I was careful about where I stood when noises were going on. I have been very strict about it since then. This includes earplugs when listening to a loud band in a small venue. People can look if they want, I'd rather keep my hearing/sanity thanks. It's not uncommon to see people doing this today.

There are many things that can cause ringing, not just exposure loud noises. Read up on the subject. Make sure you use ear wax removal drops from time to time for starters. You might be surprised how much this reduces it.

• Members

I'm in my early 40s. I can hear ringing, but I usually notice it only when it's quiet. It doesn't bother my sleep, and I can tune it out as white noise, but I always know it's there. It came from being in front of really loud amps, mainly. I also cranked the headphones when I was a teenager, big style. Nowadays I never listen to my earphones at higher than moderate volume, and I always put in earplugs when I'm around amps. I don't want to lose what I still have.

• Members

EARPLUGS, USE THEM

In my right ear there is a fairly loud ringing to goes on for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You get used to it, but alcohol seems to make it ring even louder. It really only takes one or two events to bring on tinnitus. The amount of damage down can be measured, I'm told, but there is no known cure.

• Members

A bit but not due to playing loud electric guitar since I've only been at that for a few years.

More likely due to playing music loud and going to some very loud concerts but some industrial

occasionally it's a noticable high pitch ringing in my left ear but mostly I don't notice it. I have now started to wear ear protection to concerts...that AC/DC concert would have been painful without it :D

• Members

I've used the blue Etymotic ear plugs as I have narrow ear canal.

I have the custom molded Etymotic's - they're great. If you have narrow or ear canals with sharp angles the non-custom plugs might not work for you. The foam ones should work for everyone, but sometimes they block out too much.

One important thing about Tinnitus is that it's a symptom. Yes, ringing caused by loud noises can be permanent. But there are other things that could be causing it that are not permanent. Certain drugs you might be taking every day have Tinnitus listed as a side effect, like drugs for hypertension, or even aspirin. Untreated hypertension could cause it. TMJ - jaw or neck problems could cause it. Wax buildup even!

Edit: You can even have Tinnitus without any hearing loss. My hearing test came back with no loss and very sensitive hearing despite the ringing.

• Members

Age 52. Mine has been 24/7 for the past year or so. Started out pretty bad but has moderated over time as I have gotten better at ignoring/dealing. Melatonin supplements and white noise machine for sleep, Etymotic earplugs for jamming. According to an online test I have about an 18db loss in the 8K-12K range and basically nothing above that.

Those of you having it intermittently should consider it as a warning shot across the bow.

• Members

age 44...every day when I shut the truck off I can't really hear anything clearly for about an hour...if I have the headphones up when I practice I get the same thing...forget about cranking an amp anymore...I bring cotton balls to concerts...

• Members

I've got a high pitched ringing or hissing sound pretty much all he time, although thankfully, it doesn't keep me up at night - but it is a living nightmare. It's like being in a room with a tea kettle whistling 24 hours a day. I've had it for about 6 years and can trace it back to one specific event. I went to a very loud concert by a Pink Floyd tribute band - I left with my ears ringing and it's never stopped since that night. I didn't have any problems with my hearing before that. So I hope that people realize that you can damage your hearing permanently with one exposure to loud music. Believe me, it's not worth it.

• Members

I need to go in for testing again. I was already told I need hearing aids (I'm 43). I have real problems hearing voices in a noisy room (ie. air conditioning, computer fans, etc). I think it's gotten worse in the last few years because the band practices in a single car garage. I don't remember it being this bad before and it obviously isn't going to get any better.

• Members

I'm 58 and somehow I've escaped any damage, despite attending more loud concerts than I can remember (including three or four Ramones concerts) and playing drums for several years. There were many times I couldn't hear at all for a few hours after coming home from rehearsal. For whatever reason, I don't seem to have suffered any permanent damage and I never hear any ringing or whistling.

Archived