I have this much Tinnitus

scolfax

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Huh? But I am 58 and you have to throw in some industrial hearing loss.. some loss due to extended Harley rides with no ear protection... and of course loud music..

Fortunately, all the music I listen to, if I can make out the first few notes, my brain fills in the rest (at least as I remember it.. which is good enough for me :)

• Members

Mine started about a year ago. It was constant for months but now it comes and goes. Last week it was almost gone (needed earplugs or finger in the ear to hear it) but this week it's back and I can hear it in both ears all the time.

• Members

Constant ring in left ear plus distortion of loud music or loud background noise.

Due totally to firing rifles unprotected while in the Army Cadets at age 16.

Measureable dip in midfrequency response in left ear - right ear normal.

Used to it now I am 60-ish but sometimes its just plain annoying, like on trains or planes.

Hearing protection was not for soldiers in those days.

Its here now.

Use it.

• Members

Too many years spent sitting in front of over-zealous percussionists in orchestras & big bands (I'm also a trumpet player). Add in listening to loud heavy metal music & regular gigging

=

constant ringing in my right ear (the side facing the drummers :mad: ) and slight ringing in my left.

Mine isn't bad enough that it really bothers me (yet) and I only really notice it if it's really quiet or when I concentrate on it. Otherwise, it's background noise.

• Members

I used to be in a band that prided itself on being stupid loud. I started wearing earplugs for the last few years in that band for rehearsals and gigs and I'm convinced it saved much of my hearing. We had a friend of the band who would being a decibel meter and we used to like to peg that thing at the top

of its range - stupid. We were young and dumb.

I at one time worked for a company that produced hearing aids and they had an anechoic chamber, a room designed to be uber quiet. You could hear your internal processes of your body in that room. They tested my hearing then and I was okay but I wonder what it is like now?

I take care not to play out too often anymore and I also make sure when I do that the volume is not excruciatingly high.

No tinnitus that I know of but in quiet environments I might get a tiny bit, not enough to prevent sleep. In my mid forties now.

• Members

haven't got it at all. I'm only 21 though. I've never used ear plugs though and I'm pretty sure my left ear is not as good as my right. It's been like that ever since I put my head inside a bass drum. I was stupid as a teenager. I'm still stupid now, but not THAT stupid.

• Members

Tiny bit of ringing, nothing too terrible but it's made me take better care of my ears.

A worse (for me) sign of my hearing loss is that my left ear seem to shut off if exposed to loud noises - much the same sensation as when I have a clog in it after showering. Also, multiple sounds, like several people talking at the same time, have a tendency to turn to mush. I can't pick out a single voice like i used to

• Members

developed tinnitus is a terrible thing. you hear that sound at night, it effing bothers you, and you start wondering, if it's some kind of outside noise, and you try to find the source; but it still is ringing, however deep you bury your head under the pillows; and it's terrible. it drives people mad. a buddy of mine keeps TV on all night cause it distarcts him from hearing "the buzz"

• Members

developed tinnitus is a terrible thing. you hear that sound at night, it effing bothers you, and you start wondering, if it's some kind of outside noise, and you try to find the source; but it still is ringing, however deep you bury your head under the pillows; and it's terrible. it drives people mad. a buddy of mine keeps TV on all night cause it distarcts him from hearing "the buzz"

I do that when it's bad, through a set of headphones.

It can really help.

:thu:

• Members

in 30 years, the nursing homes are gonna be filled with deaf guitar players. Tinninitus sucks man ... too many years of playing loud has ruined my hearing. My only advice for the younger guys is wear good ear plugs whenever your playing loud enough when you can't hear yourself talk.

Archived