I have this much Tinnitus

scolfax

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Back when I worked at the hearing aid place, I talked to a guy there who did a lot of testing of peoples hearing and he mentioned that one of the people he met with the most hearing loss was an elderly man who was a former artillery gunner in World War II AND a polka band drummer. He said that guy was so deaf that hearing aids really didn't help him much. The sharp reports of the guns and the short attacks of the drums and cymbals just nuked his eardrums.

He actually said that though electric instruments has caused early onset hearing problems it's the drummers who are by far off the worst because the sudden attacks of the drums and cymbals are harder on the eardrums.

He urged any drummers to ALWAYS wear earplugs because those things will sneak up on you and make you deaf.

• Members

I've got a high pitched ringing or hissing sound pretty much all he time, although thankfully, it doesn't keep me up at night - but it is a living nightmare. It's like being in a room with a tea kettle whistling 24 hours a day. I've had it for about 6 years and can trace it back to one specific event. I went to a very loud concert by a Pink Floyd tribute band - I left with my ears ringing and it's never stopped since that night. I didn't have any problems with my hearing before that. So I hope that people realize that you can damage your hearing permanently with one exposure to loud music. Believe me, it's not worth it.

Was that tribute band called "Clearlight" by any chance? They were really good but in my opinion they were stupidly loud - saw them in St. Paul Minnesota in the late 1980s and I had earplugs that night luckily.

• Members

I always take earplugs with me to gigs nowdays but find them difficult to use and play at the same time. Sometimes I can't hear my guitar enough when playing solos which is a nuisance. Then again I'm trying to salvage my hearing so I suppose it's the best option.

I had this problem when I used foam plugs. They block over 30db which is too much, and my tone and playing suffered for it. I spent $200 on these custom plugs have buttons that alter the amount of blocking - I use 15db of blocking during rehearsals and performances which is just right.

• Members

I had this problem when I used foam plugs. They block over 30db which is too much, and my tone and playing suffered for it. I spent $200 on these
have buttons that alter the amount of blocking - I use 15db of blocking during rehearsals and performances which is just right.

Do you by chance know where you can get just the buttons? I have a molded set from the VA but can not get buttons from them, (long story).

• Members
Do you by chance know where you can get just the buttons? I have a molded set from the VA but can not get buttons from them, (long story).

Yes, right here. Keep in mind they're $40 each. I thought it was by the pair but then they only sent me one and I had to order the other one separately. :facepalm:

• Members

I have a tiny bit of ringing in my ears often, gets more present at times, usually after jamming or whatever. Some of it's due to: playing-no ear protection, drag-piped Harley-no ear protection, Guns-no ear protection, Jackhammer-no ear protection, chop saw-no ear protection. I'm 29, so.........for all you 'younguns'- wear ear protection :thu:

• Members

well sometimes, i think hendrix killed himself because of all the tinnitus he musta had, hehehehe

I he musta had it from blasting those marshals and humping them like crazy. I mean that {censored} had to be loud!

Paul gilbert is deaf in one ear.So i have heard.

Thats why wears that funny headset...thats the word right?

hehehhe

• Members
Yeah but Jimi was black, remember. That dude had no hearing damage what so ever!!

:)

One of my good buddies is black and we play just about every weekend. No hearing protection, ever, and we really blast it. He says he has no problems what so ever with his ears, at all. Mine on the other hand ring loudly even though I do wear 24db ear plugs.
:mad:

I guess maybe there is something to this melanin idea..

naaah. . . that would be nice, but naaah. . .

• Members

As a music student, Im offered disposable ear plugs anytime i ask for them, which I happily take! Some people still dont wear them though, and cranked 100watt solid state amps and cheap harsh cymbals dont exactly play nice with ears...

Im glad I use them though, makes MGs sound that much nicer...

• Members
Yeah but Jimi was black, remember. That dude had no hearing damage what so ever!!

:)

One of my good buddies is black and we play just about every weekend. No hearing protection, ever, and we really blast it. He says he has no problems what so ever with his ears, at all. Mine on the other hand ring loudly even though I do wear 24db ear plugs.
:mad:

I guess maybe there is something to this melanin idea..

Wait, so if I get a tan in my ear will my tinnitus go away? :idea:

• Members
Wait, so if I get a tan in my ear will my tinnitus go away?
:idea:

Unfortunately I believe the literature speaks to the protective nature of melanin, and not to any restorative effects.

There are a number of companies selling "Tinnitus relief" pills on the internet, and I believe some of them contain melanin. Most of these look like snake oil in my opinion.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I just recently developed tinnitus, at least I THINK it is tinnitus?

I hear roaring/static in my left ear whenever I hear medium level noise.. for example, if my friends starts talking loud, then I will hear the roaring/static that drives me crazy! These days I cannot even laugh too much/loud or raise my voice because of it! arghh!

I do not hear any noises when it is quiet though, which seems to be the opposite of all tinnitus?

• Members

I'm one of the 15 with major ringing. It doesn't keep me awake @ night though. I actually love sleeping (aside from just being a lazy bones @ heart) the noise seems to stop when I'm asleep. Of course it probably doesn't, but I'm asleep and I don't notice it and thats pretty much my "recovery zone" for the noise that never quits.

My wife (vocalist/guitarist) just had some throat surgery and her voice coach is having her keep pretty quiet. With her low voice and my crappy ears, 28 yrs of marital bliss will soon be 29. No problem!!

Hearing protection: You need it!!

Auditioning for a 2nd band next Sunday

• Members

My T started just over a year ago - it was November 9th 2008. The first week was maddening, and the first month was torture.

Now it's much improved but of course not gone. I've been wearing musician's earplugs at every rehearsal, and I even bring them to movies.

• Members

I think I got mine from squealing PA systems and loud drummers. Some of it could be self-inflicted too - when I play solos sometimes I'll put some skin into the picking and make the guitar 'squeal' with those ultra high-pitched harmonic overtones.

• Members

Constant, loud, both ears, noticeable loss of hearing & distortion of very loud music.

Occupational Hazard, too much motorbikes, music, shooting range and working in loud Datacenters, too.

Took me some time to accept that I would have to live and die with it.

Now, in my mid 40's, I treat it as a veritable stress meter. If it gets too loud, I'm too stressed.

Edit: and change my vote to the top one. won't keep me awake at night, but still never stops ... And I've been crazy even before I got mine.

• Members

Now, in my mid 40's, I treat it as a veritable stress meter. If it gets too loud, I'm too stressed.

Same here. On a related note one ear doc I saw said that the one thing that might actually help is quitting coffee. Of course I haven't.

Archived