Fender Amps! Help Me Choose

FFStratophile

• Members

I've been out amp hunting this past month, and came to the conclusion that I really like the Fender clean sound. So considering my budget, I narrowed it down to Blues Junior, Hot Rod Deluxe, Deluxe Reverb and Princeton 65 RI. Now I'm really having a hard time deciding this. Currently the Junior is at the bottom of the list, but still on it cause it's the cheapest and it's small, and I'm looking for a bedroom amp. So, what do you think?

• Members

I've been out amp hunting this past month, and came to the conclusion that I really like the Fender clean sound. So considering my budget, I narrowed it down to Blues Junior, Hot Rod Deluxe, Deluxe Reverb and Princeton 65 RI. Now I'm really having a hard time deciding this. Currently the Junior is at the bottom of the list, but still on it cause it's the cheapest and it's small, and I'm looking for a bedroom amp. So, what do you think?

Everybody makes a good point about suitability for bedroom use. I'm guessing you may use the amp for other purposes too. If not then Super Champ XD would be my choice.

In looking at the others I have a couple observations.

1. I recommend buying used. These amps are all readily available used so might as well save the money.

2. In the used market, for whatever reason, a Princeton Reverb Reissue and a Deluxe Reverb Reissue are about the same price. That makes the DRRI a no brainer.

3. In the used market a Hot rod Deluxe is almost the same price (within $50) as a Blues Jr. Again, no brainer for the HRD.

All that said there are different Fender clean sounds. If you're talking Blackface then it's the Deluxe Reverb and the Princeton Reverb. This is the traditional Fender clean sound. The Hot Rod Series (Blues Jr. and Hot Rod Deluxe) are based on different designs and are a "less clean" clean. In general they share a moderately scooped mid range and accentuated highs and lows. With the exception of the Tweed Fenders (not the tweed versions of the HRD and BJr) this is kind of the Fender sound.

All that said I would buy a used Hot Rod Deluxe and look for one for $350-$375. With master volume and 2 Gain stages they are versatile and can sound very good at bedroom levels. The Bleckfaces need to breathe a little to sound their best.

• Members

Well, I'll go the other way and recommend the Princeton Reverb. I in fact spent a fair amount of time A/B-ing the PRRI against the DRRI and to my ears the Princeton won. YMMV, of course, but I think the PRRI is a better sounding amp, and it's far more suited to your needs. And lighter.

• Members

Didn't see the bedroom part. Channel 1 on the Super Champ XD is pretty nice fender tones. You could use it at 3.5-4 for bedroom level practice.
I use an EQ pedal infront of mine. The onboard eq setting have a pretty narrow range.
Reverb is ok, it does the job but nothing like the reverb on the DRRI.

• Members

Well, I'll go the other way and recommend the Princeton Reverb. I in fact spent a fair amount of time A/B-ing the PRRI against the DRRI and to my ears the Princeton won. YMMV, of course, but I think the PRRI is a better sounding amp, and it's far more suited to your needs. And lighter.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I like the PRRI. I just think in the grand scheme of the universe that it's about 60% of the features and ought to be 60-70% of the price. Used DRRI's are $650-ish. I'd pay $450-ish for a PRRI. there was a time when Best Buy was blowing out excess inventory of new ones for $599.

• Members

Another vote for the Deluxe reverb.

As far as the super champ, I'd say a Vibro-Champ XD would fit the bill better for home. Ch #1 on the super champ is just the #4 voice on the Vibro champ, and the vibrochamp is 5 watts vs 15w for the superchamp. I have a Vibrochamp XD, and it works.

• Members

deluxe reverb is a nice choice because it gives you the nice cleans, it doesn't have to be quite *so* loud, and in the opinion of many, you get better distortion with a nice dirt box of your choice through the fender clean than something like a hot rod deluxe's dirty channel.

though as someone who just recently picked up a HRDIII, I can tell you it has excellent cleans, excellent spring reverb, and usable dirt, but, again, for th ebest dirt I'd usually just use pedals.

if you can afford it the deluxe reverb is hard to beat, if you want to save some money the HRD is still outsanding. blues jr is okay but I tried one and thought it was a bit boxy sounding compared to the others.

• Members

1. Deluxe Reverb

2. Hotrod Deluxe

3. Princeton 65 RI

132. Blues Junior

• Members

Small, relatively inexpensive, Fender cleans, really well built and capable of sounding good at bedroom volume... have you considered a Super Champ XD?

This. Change the tube and upgrade the speaker, and you have what you are looking for. I've played a LOT of amps, and consider a Deluxe Re-verb too now and then. But since I really don't need to gig with it, I just keep going back to the wonderful Super Champ XD (upgraded as stated above.)

• Members

Another vote for the Deluxe reverb.

As far as the super champ, I'd say a Vibro-Champ XD would fit the bill better for home. Ch #1 on the super champ is just the #4 voice on the Vibro champ, and the vibrochamp is 5 watts vs 15w for the superchamp. I have a Vibrochamp XD, and it works.

I can't agree here - Super Champ is not too loud for bedroom/studio and the other options make it more. (unless you really need to save the cash - which you don't.) Clean headroom is insufficient for a real Gig in the Super Champ, but there is a good direct out and it is loud enough to play around with friends/ practice for most situations. Yeah... I'm a fan of SCXD, so you can take it all with a grain of salt. :)

• Members

+1. It's my go to amp for Fender clean type stuff, but it can get nasty and loud too. Can't beat it for recording. Very easy to move around too.

• Members

I think most here have pretty much covered it. The DRRI is my favorite out of the list, but totally unsuited for bedroom volume, as is the PRRI.

I think tube amps in general make lousy bedroom volume amps. You can't turn up a tube amp to it;s sweet spot at bedroom level, not even the lowly 3-5 watt Champ/Vibro-Champ.

You need a master volume. And the one big advantage that solid0state and modeling amps have is they sound the exact same whether on 1 or 8 on the master volume. The suggested Super Champ XD is a good compromise. Digital and SS front end with a tube power amp if you ever have the opportunity or need to turn it up.

Out of your list, or if you don;'t want SS/digital, the only suitable option is the Blues Jr. It isn't the best sounding amp on your list (IMHO, they other three sound better when used right), but it's the only one that can be turned down to bedroom level without sounding too anemic. Just know a Blues Jr. is more tweed-like (more mids, less highs), with more mids, it doesn't have that shimmering, spanky signature "Fender Tone" that the DRRI and PRRI have.

• Members

Of the amps listed in the OP, the DRRI would be my first choice with a replacement speaker. If you like sparkling, crystal clean cleans, then many Fender amps will give them. They do sound a bit more complex at higher volume levels but I've played about 8 Twins that sound great at low levels... there is just absolute zero power tube or speaker breakup going on. Several players make the Princeton sound like a million bucks but for what I like, I much prefer the more power and more control of the Deluxe.

The Super Champ XD would make a great bedroom-only amp for many players. And again, a speaker upgrade goes a long way. I personally would take the Super Champ far over the Vibro Champ. I've come to believe that I just don't care much for the cleans from amps with single power tubes.

:idk:

Having said that, I could get along with any amp mentioned in the OP... as long as I could swap out the speaker. But I am a clean player.

• Members
No matter what you get, read this ...

www.singlecoil.com/docs/magic-six.pdf

Great starting place for getting a good tone out of a Fender amp. Start with it and tweak.

Interesting info. I've never seen this before - but every Fender amp I've ever owned has followed a different rule of 6: As in, set your Bass, Treble, and Mids to 6. That's always worked for me for some reason.

Archived