Are American Standards REALLY worth it?

twotimingpete

• Members

I'm interested in analyzing this because I've found myself entertaining the idea of spending a bit on a guitar, and I realized that I may be in new Ammy Standy territory if I got a reasonable discount.

Talking about Strats at the moment, but I suppose all the same stuff applies for teles.

Here are the factors as I see them:

1) Actual, real life build quality and components. I just don't think there's a MAJOR difference between this and the new regular standards, certainly not a "double the price" worth of difference. This isn't an insult at all; the newest generation of Standards are extremely, almost mind blowingly good. I actually imagine that a significant piece of the price difference is going to the beautiful HSC that comes with it. More on that in a sec.

2) Legacy. This is what I'm actually thinking about, to be honest. This is the -- Hey, I have a genuine strat, this is the quintessential thing, if I have it for decades to come it'll still be recognizeable as the corner stone, basic USA strat and it'll always have value. It's not an obscure model that won't make sense in 15 years. An American Standard is an American Standard. This is a real factor in my decision making process and I believe very valid.

3) really cool hardshell case and case candy. :) This makes it more fun somehow.

4) "Just because". This is a real factor too, believe it or not. :)

Anyone have anything to contribute to the discussion? This is primarily a discussion about how the new American Standard strats compare to the various Fender models of strats below them in price -- Such as but not limited to MIM standards, highway ones, american specials.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You raise some good points:

Thoughts:

Last year my doctor friend Matt wanted to get into guitar and since he's a surgeon he could afford anything but since he was a rank beginner at guitar he wanted me along so I could see if what he was trying out would be good or not.

I knew when I was a beginner that the very act of pressing down on the frets was an act in pain and futility so we decided to try EVERY damn strat across three different stores and it we figured the best of the best for "ease of play" would be what he took home. We drew the line at American Standard since there was no point in a beginner bringing home a custom shop guitar. He does have a wife and daughters after all.

I think it was between 47 and 52 strats all told, it was numbing by the end of the day. The top three were as follows: Black American Standard with maple neck, red special issue S-1 switching guitar with a black painted headstock cap and rosewood board, a white MIM (!) with maple neck that handily beat every MIM across all 3 stores. It just had that special

something that some strats have.

He decided to take home the black american standard with maple neck. Why? Tonally it was very close but what clinched it was the ease of play and low action on the black AM Std and the nice case was part of it too. He COULD have gotten the MIM or the red one but he wanted to have something he was "excited about" and that would let him dig into the huge world of the guitar without feeling bad about his purchase and if it was a total boondoggle he could sell the guitar and case and not be out too much money. I think that's where the "resale value" thing comes into play because you basically will make more money down the road than if you sold an MIM or a "special run" guitar that may not have much value in 10 years.

Weirdly, within a year I was looking at strats and ended up buying an MIM that had a better than usual for MIM neck and it kind of rang like a marimba when you tapped it - for me if a guitar says "buy me" I don't argue but it's also why I only buy guitars once every half decade or so.

• Members

On average I think the MIAs are a notch up. The necks and fret work feel a bit better to me than the MIMs. Add the value of a nice case and a used MIA isn't much more than a new MIM. The stock pups are also much more useable on the MIAs IMO.

• Members

Through extensive guitar playing this weekend, my two favorites were a used MIM Strat that had the old "low mass" bridge and a JB Jr in the bridge (side note: holy crap, that's the greatest Strat bridge I've heard to date, except for the string dropout on bends, it's amazing) and a Squier Standard, which had a wonderful chunky neck and gorgeous finish and decent stock pickups. Granted I went home with a Music Man Sterling, but those two impressed me. I think the CV Squier is a great value (too thin of a neck though) as well.

Really though, price is what you pay, value is what it's worth to you. If you have the money for an American Standard and it has the features you want, more power to you. If you're one who believes you should only buy American, there you go (don't think about the hardware/pickups though). I'd be happy with a MIM and some aftermarket upgrades personally.

• Members

The new American Standards just seem VERY consistently great to me. The Mexican Standards can be fantastic as well, but you might have to search a bit. I've owned tons of Strats, and have played many more, and the two best I've ever played are my two current ones, an AVRI '62 Hot Rod and a Classic Series 50's Strat. If you've got time to try out a ton, do it, but if you're buying one sight unseen and you can swing the extra dough, go American Standard as its a safer bet.

• Members

The new American Standards just seem VERY consistently great to me. The Mexican Standards can be fantastic as well, but you might have to search a bit. I've owned tons of Strats, and have played many more, and the two best I've ever played are my two current ones, an
AVRI '62 Hot Rod
and a Classic Series 50's Strat. If you've got time to try out a ton, do it, but if you're buying one sight unseen and you can swing the extra dough, go American Standard as its a safer bet.

Those are excellent. Sometimes you can grab a nice used hotrod 62 for just over what the MIAs go for new. I'd keep those in the running too.

Whatever you get, it's all about the neck for me. That's where I won't compromise at all. It's why I went with the MIA, it just felt better and worth the extra cost.

• Members

I'd say so. And i love many stratlike guitars that give them a good run for the money.

For me, a student got a usa standard. I was amazed at the craftsmanship/materials guitar tone in general. I had to have one.

Bot a USA dlx strat and love it more all the time! Worth EVERY penny!

I think yes:thu:

• Members

After 15 years of searching I ended up getting a Jeff Beck strat. Mine is the current model with a soft C neck. I have owned it for six years and have ended up playing it more than my 93 PRS.

That being said I feel the current 2011 edition AMs are the bomb and am seriously considering a one after child #4 is born.

• Members

Over the past 40 years I've come to the conclusion that MONEY and monetary worth have very little to do with it. An Epiphone Les Paul is "as good" as a Gibson Les Paul, a MIM Strat is "as good" as an American standard, an SX guitar is "as good" as anything else......provided they do what YOU want them to do and give you joy. :) That said, if you REALLY want a freakin' American Standard Strat- just buy the damn thing, because NOTHING else is going to SATISFY you like having that guitar. Often, people find MORE satisfaction in cheap guitars AFTER they have owned and maybe even discarded their "dream guitar" because they have been to the mountain top and are enlightened. ;) But really, if you want a Gibson Les Paul, buy one. If you want an American Strat, buy one - and stop trying to justify it in monetary terms. The heart wants what it wants, and if you can actually get it- then do. You will never be sorry.

• Members

Over the past 40 years I've come to the conclusion that MONEY and monetary worth have very little to do with it. An Epiphone Les Paul is "as good" as a Gibson Les Paul, a MIM Strat is "as good" as an American standard, an SX guitar is "as good" as anything else......provided they do what YOU want them to do and give you joy.
:)
That said, if you REALLY want a freakin' American Standard Strat- just buy the damn thing, because NOTHING else is going to SATISFY you like having that guitar. Often, people find MORE satisfaction in cheap guitars AFTER they have owned and maybe even discarded their "dream guitar" because they have been to the mountain top and are enlightened.
;)
But really, if you want a Gibson Les Paul, buy one. If you want an American Strat, buy one - and stop trying to justify it in monetary terms. The heart wants what it wants, and if you can actually get it- then do. You will never be sorry.

Amen to that. there's that dream guitar that will make you go WOW and no other guitar will. You should buy that one, if you can afford it.

I know that when I get my White competition stripe Mustang with matching headstock, I will be happy, even knowing that I paid a couple hundred extra just for a paint job.

• Members

I find the American Standards are more consistent than the MiM's. Not that you can't find a stunning guitar at the MiM price point but it's a LOT easier to find a great American Standard these days, especially since Fender upped their QC in 2008. A lot of the time with the MiM's, you have to budget for electronics and part upgrades which close the price gap. Besides, the resale value on an Am Std is much better than with the MiM.

With all due respect to BryanMichael and others, I find there is a certain amount of "you get what you pay for." Try playing a USA Hamer against the import line, or an American PRS against an SE, and you'll really see, feel and hear a difference. Not that there aren't great instruments for cheap (Godin, for one) but even more expensive instruments can be amazing values.

• Members

The only Strat I've ever owned was an American Series, and my favorite Tele of all time (I've owned four) was also an American Series. I have yet to play a Standard that could hold a candle to either one of them. Wood, pickups, hardware, cases, all immaterial. It's the neck, dammit, and USA Fenders have unbeatable necks.

• Members

Here are two Teles. The first is an 08 American Standard. The second is and 06 Fender Special Edition Koa (Korean made). I payed $420 used out the door at GC for the Koa which is about 1/2 the price I payed for the Am Std new. I'm a big fan of the Korean made fenders and of Korean guitars in general and becoming more and more so all the time. Is the Koa a better Tele than the Am Std? Nope. Is it worse? No again. With some minor differences they compare about the same. Here are my thoughts on it.

1. Parts is parts. The Am Std will have better resale value because of the perception many have that "Fender America" automatically means better quality. However, at the end of the day if the guitar has a good neck and you screw good parts onto it then it's going to be a good guitar. The Fender pick ups are great. The Seymour Duncans on the Korean model are just as great. The American hardware and tuners are good stuff. The Gotoh hardware is just as good etc.

2. As far as status goes the only people who are going to know the difference are other musicians and even many of them won't. I recently took my Korean Koa model into GC to buy a set of knobs and three different employees were saying what a cool "Custom Shop" Tele it was until I told them it was made in Korea.

3. I guess It all depends on how much you are willing to pay for name and status and how long you are going to keep the guitar. After many years of buying guitars I now have 13 many of which I payed some heavy dollars for only to find that many of my cheaper guitars please me just as much as the expensive ones.

IMG_1120.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

• Members

I've had a MIM and two MIJs. I currently have an MIA Standard. The MIA has been the best of all of them. It is what it is.

All the components just seem better and the rolled edges on the fretboard don't hurt either, LOL! I've tried to remain objective about this; but, the MIA is just simply better with the examples I have owned.

• Members

I had a 2008 am. std. for a try out period and I liked much about it. Very good sound, nice feel. I didn't bond with the neck but that's personal. For sure, the price was not exhorbitant considering the excellent case, etc. so to the question the answer is yes. The exemplar I got had serious cosmetic flaws and I sent it back. I decided to broaden my search to other brands and found a strat style that I'm happy about for roughly the same price.

• Members

You get what you pay for with most guits IMO...granted some are overpriced, but if you go for the higher end models like a American Standard Strat there is a difference, not to say that a nice MIM or American Special is not nice but the top of the line is the top of the line. If your willing to spend the money go for the Standard.

• Members

Ok, here's my massively generalising opinion...!

Lots of guys say that their MIM is 'just as good as an American' or that their Suhr is 'miles better than a Fender' - I'm not saying they're wrong... It's just that American Standard Strats are the yardstick by which all other guitars are judged....

[runs for cover!]

Archived