Are American Standards REALLY worth it?

twotimingpete

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have both a MIM vintage player, a US strat plus, and a US american standard. I've owned regular production MIM models in the past. Anyway, I prefer the feel of the US models. The fretwork seems better on my US models. The stock MIM pickups are also not as good as the US models, but many MIM models can be found with better custom shop pickups (like my classic player). Anyway, they have all been good guitars, but the US models just feel better to me....and I think it is mostly fretwork related. One thing to consider, is MIM bodies are like 5-7 pieces of wood in most cases, with some having fewer than that. The US models tend to be 2-3. This doesn't matter much to me, but all the MIM strats I have owned have been at least 5 pieces (you can see it after a few years when the finish sinks a little bit). I never noticed a sound/stability issue, but this might bother some people.

My only other comment is that MIM strats, regardless of year, sell like a commodity on the used market. US models do too, but seem to appreciate a bit over time. 80's models are now worth a good price, and I figure this will continue. Might happen for MIM models, but it hasn't yet.

• Members

mho,

na not really, a strat is very easy to get right... there not a lot that can go way south once you get a good neck and fret job.... im very pragmatic when it comes to guitars..

so i think a good player can take any decent strat copy or mim or what ever.. i just dont see the value added.. we are at a golden age when it comes to good inexpensive gig-gable ps... guitars its not like the bad old days when you had to spend big coin to get good guitars... case and point... my number one is a 25 dollar jay turser strat copy... i spent 20 bucks on pups and now that thing can do open jams or what ever at any bar turn to...

well ya asked...

:facepalm:

• Members

My take is this... for a guitar that is pretty damn consistently great for the prices they go for used (~$650) I think they are pretty awesome.

Having said that, compared to really nice pickups, the stock pickups on American Standards are their weak point. I'd say that literally every set of aftermarket pickups I've owned in the last 5 years are superior including the GFS Premium Alnico II and V sets.

I'm not a fan of the 2 point trem visually speaking, but I do feel they work very slightly better than the vintage type trem.

All else equal, I prefer vintage type tuners.

I like the more vintage/surfy colors which usually aren't offered in the Standards.

Other than those points, I'd say a used American Standard strat is pure win.

Stock for stock, I'd take a 60s Classic Player over an American Standard. But roughly the same price, a used American Standard with a set of aftermarket pickups is a pretty killer choice.

Having said all of that, I'm a strat guy, I have three partscasters that I absolutely LOVE and an old JV Series Japanese Squier and there's just about zero chance I'll buy an American Standard anytime in the near or distant future.

:lol:

• Members

I do want the fender on the headstock. it actually matters to me. file that under "just because".

Then you've answered your own question.

Plenty of other guitars out there that are good, or perhaps even a rival, for an Am Std at that price point. But, you're right: that "Fender" on the headstock has decades of legacy that others just don't. It matters to me, too.

In terms of what you get.......I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the HSC. That is a *good* HSC that comes with the Am Stds. It's suitable for air travel. On it's own that case would be $150-200.

Factor that out, and now you're comparing the Am Std to the Am Spec or Hwy 1. The differences here are the pups, components, and neck finish. The bridge on the Am Std is much better, IMO. The necks on the Am Std have that beautiful glossy finish on the fretboard and a smooth satin finish on the back. Very nice.

And, yes, the necks on an MIM are great. But when you play an Am Std....it is better.

There is indeed something about buying a guitar new. But if you're open to used, hunt around for a AV57RI. Oooohh............ man, those are sweet. So are the AV62RIs, but the neck is a little too thin for me. I really like my MIM Strat (but I spent about $150 on various work done by my luthier), but if I were to go for another Strat it would be the AV57RI.

I just spent about 2 hrs the other day at GC wondering if an Am Std Tele is that much better than my Hwy1. Well, in some ways it is. But then I played the AV52RI. OMG. Worth every dime!

• Members

So what years before 2008 did the strat start being less than average??

My Am Standard Strat is a 2004, and i love everything about it! Ok- so i changed the pickguard but that was more for looks, but i LOVE the neck, fretboard, toanz, i got the big block steel saddles on my 2point bridge. Something supposed to be not too great about them? They use that bridge on the American Deluxe don't they? Can't be that bad? I got mine brand spankin new on blowout for

• Members

i have an 08 mia standard. it destroyed the other guitars i tried out that day. i actually went in to buy an sg , and grabbed the one i have just for fun, and walked out with it. (i was going to get a strat eventually anyways, this just sped up the process).

if you get an MIM or MIK, and wanted an MIA all along, you'll always feel like you're missing out on something and will end up hating the "other" guitar eventually (even though the mim or mik could be better in reality).

so get it, "just because". I did.

• Members

I prefer early 90s Tacocasters myself - better necks IMO (truss rod access), vintage frets, prefer the 6 point trem, and I don't like micro tilt or S1 switching. But yeah, American Standards are definitely nice, reasonably fairly priced guitars.

• Members

I have an American Series strat from 2000. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought it because it's truly a mediocre guitar. I was planning from the start to install a set of Fat 50's that I had in my parts bin, so I didn't pay much attention to the tone and instead concentrated on the feel and playability.

I've had four sets of pickups and three string gauges in the hopes of finding a bit of top end shimmer that every strat should have. But, sadly, it's just not there.

The good news is that I only paid $599 for it, so no big loss. My guess is that most players would be perfectly happy with this guitar, but I am spoiled beyond all hope so I went in search of a really good strat in 2005 and landed on this one:

whitestrat.jpg

Custom Shop Time Machine NOS '56 Strat. It's a good one.

• Members
I have an American Series strat from 2000. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought it because it's truly a
mediocre guitar
. I was planning from the start to install a set of Fat 50's that I had in my parts bin, so I didn't pay much attention to the tone and instead concentrated on the feel and playability.

I've had four sets of pickups and three string gauges in the hopes of finding a bit of top end shimmer that every strat should have. But, sadly, it's just not there.

The good news is that I only paid $599 for it, so no big loss. My guess is that most players would be perfectly happy with this guitar, but I am spoiled beyond all hope so I went in search of a really good strat in 2005 and landed on this one:

whitestrat.jpg

Custom Shop Time Machine NOS '56 Strat. It's a good one.

Sounds like you got a dud w/ your Ame. Series, not all of them are "mediocre" like that...

• Members

I have owned a bunch of MIM's and kept telling myself they were just as good as an American Strat. I finally broke down and bought a USA Standard and found I was playing it all the time and the MIMs weren't getting touched. I think the Classic 50's, 60's and '70's MIMs are close but the feel of an American-made Strat is just different. The neck is smoother and the sound more balanced. I think they are worth the extra $.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Check out the Classic Vibe stuff. EVERY BIT as good as the USA product, especially as LAZY as Fender has been with their recent MIM and USA product. The test? Hand a Classic Vibe product to a blind guitarist and have HIM tell you where it was made.

• Members

I have an American Standard Tele and I looked at a lot of MIM's before I chose the American and all I have to say is the necks on the MIA's are much nicer. Much more comfortable and faster. The pickups are hotter and the controls seem smoother.

There was nothing wrong with the MIM's that I tried, but the MIA's just felt a lot better. Double the money better? That's something that everyone has to decide for themselves, but for me... Definitely.

• Members

Yes and this is just IMO:

MIA>Highway1>MIM. Although the H1 has the edge over the MIA in some ways, haven't tried the Classic Vibe (no lefties).

Is it worth the extra money? Yes for the tone and playability (and you're buying into a feelgood factor too). Should probably soundcheck these blindfolded.

• Members

I have a 2001 MIM Standard Strat, a 2007 MIA Standard Tele, and a 2010 AVRI Hot Rod '52 tele.

The MIA tele is definitely in a different quality league to the MIM Strat, nicer wood, nicer stock pickups, nicer finish, nicer neck profile and fretwork, just better quality in every respect.

However, Fender prices have been getting insane recently. I paid

Archived