Pacifica 112V truly outstanding for the price.

Jkater

• Members

You've heard it before and this won't stir much passion. But I got this for my newest guitar student and I am so impressed with this guitar. It is a 112V but with a limited run finish, the neck being finished like the body (nice sleek feel). The big surprise is that it arrived with an almost perfect set-up from the factory. Neck relief and intonation are spot on. Action was medium and when I lowered it, there was no fret buzz whatsoever. Everything is so adequate and well done: fretwork, nut, all top notch. And the AlNiCo pups are really very good. This is no beginner's guitar. At 259 euros, it is a great value.

IMG_9697.jpg

IMG_9699.jpg

IMG_9698.jpg

IMG_9700.jpg

• Members

I see Pacificas come into the shop from time to time. I've yet to see one that had glaring setup issues. All have been playable right from the start. And the fret work, oh jeez the outstanding fret work. Why can't high buck American Standards from that Big American Company be set up so well?

• Members

I always wondered why Yamahas weren't more popular. I don't often see their electric guitars around me, but I see their basses all the time (and they're really great).

That's an interesting one. And there has been good threads about this topic. They don't seem to care about their MIJ top models being big sellers. Their market is the entry level/intermediate stuff like the 112. Flogger was telling us a story when he was working in a music store back in the days and they had those really high end Pacificas. Customers would be in awe of them and agreed that those top end Pacificas were better than the similarly priced Fender offerings... but would still walk out of the store with the Fender strats!

• Members

That's an interesting one. And there has been good threads about this topic. They don't seem to care about their MIJ top models being big sellers. Their market is the entry level/intermediate stuff like the 112. Flogger was telling us a story when he was working in a music store back in the days and they had those really high end Pacificas. Customers would be in awe of them and agreed that those top end Pacificas were better than the similarly priced Fender offerings... but would still walk out of the store with the Fender strats!

Just goes to show the power of marketing right? People pretty much knowingly choose a name over better quality. Bet if you asked those people if the were suckers for branding they'd say "no way!...I see through that {censored}."....lol.

• Members

I picked up a used 112m a couple of months ago for next to nothing and I can't believe how good a player the guitar is. I love it's maple neck. Let them stay unpopular, then that makes the price lower for us who will buy them.

• Members

You've heard it before and this won't stir much passion. But I got this for my newest guitar student and I am so impressed with this guitar. It is a 112V but with a limited run finish, the neck being finished like the body (nice sleek feel). The big surprise is that it arrived with an almost perfect set-up from the factory. Neck relief and intonation are spot on. Action was medium and when I lowered it, there was no fret buzz whatsoever. Everything is so adequate and well done: fretwork, nut, all top notch. And the AlNiCo pups are really very good. This is no beginner's guitar. At 259 euros, it is a great value.

IMG_9697.jpg
IMG_9699.jpg
IMG_9698.jpg
IMG_9700.jpg

I've always been tempted to get one myself. I always see videos of them being used in those starlicks videos that I am fairly sure came out of the 80's based on the guitar players in them.

I've always wondered though why Yamaha have such a small catalog. Their high end stuff only include the SGB (which i would kill for) and soem signature models. I don't get why they don't add some more great guitars to their roster. They don't make any mid range stuff it's like you can pay $275 for a low end (but quality) guitar or $2,000-$3,000 for super high end.

• Members

I'd love to try a Pacifica!. Never seen one in a shop though. All of the players here in Cali must be hoarding em! :mad:

Another sleeper is the Peavey predator. They're real guitars and they're very well put together. Unfortunately, all of the ones I've seen have a fairly narrow neck and thats a deal killer for me.

You can frequently find em relatively cheap but since they cost less than a Fender, most of em seem to have been treated pretty rough. My music teacher owns several and is addicted to buying every nice one he can find but hes then again, he also owns almost a hundred pedals. To each his own I guess.

• Members

The answer is simple enough, the Yamaha name as it relates to guitars most often has little cachet...Godin guitars suffer from a somewhat similar fate.

Think about all the homo-pirates and their underpowered overweight Hardly Abelsons.

• Members

I've always been tempted to get one myself. I always see videos of them being used in those starlicks videos that I am fairly sure came out of the 80's based on the guitar players in them.

I've always wondered though why Yamaha have such a small catalog. Their high end stuff only include the SGB (which i would kill for) and soem signature models. I don't get why they don't add some more great guitars to their roster. They don't make any mid range stuff it's like you can pay $275 for a low end (but quality) guitar or $2,000-$3,000 for super high end.

And the top end made-in-Japan stuff is being discontinued constantly. Pacifica 904, AES1500, AEX1500, RGX-FG, all gone. There are rumours that the SA2200 is taking that route as well but it appears available at the moment.

• Members

Yamaha's acoustics go WAY beyond anything they offer as electrics. Regular model acoustics go to $12,000 (LL-86), custom shop stuff, sky is the limit. And their nylon concert guitars are also among the very best there is. Their market for the highest models and made to order instruments is not the USA / Europe. We just don't know about it.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmLXuJePD5EpEJvEo4uz1

• Members

I totally agree J!

We have two Pac 112's in the shop now. I believe they are $95 each. They totally smoke playing and sound wise.

I do NOT know why more players are attracted to them.

Oh btw, if anyone wants one of these, let me know.

Gary

Archived