Do you go through phases of preference re guitars?

Faber

• Members

I have a few different guitars - strats, tele, semis. I find that for a few months I'll vastly perfer one type, say strats, then they fall out of favour to be replaced by some other type, the 335 for instance. This go through cycles and over time i come back to all of them.

Do you go through the same cycle of preferences or do you just pick up any guitar at any time?

• Members

I seem to change what I want out of an Acoustic guitar on a bi-yearly basis but for electric guitar I've always liked the tone of a great strat or a great semi-hollow bodied guitar. But I will say that I'm constantly reaching for that perfect strat tone mixed with perfect playability. So I'm sure I'll be getting a few more strats in the next couple of years.

• Members

Very much so. i tend to play the same guitar for a while and then switch to another. These days i play my Pacifica 904 a lot. The SA2200 (semi) is sort of my #1 so it gets played often, regardless. I regularly have LP phases but I usually don't play the LP much. Acoustics are always there because that's what I play the most.

• Members

I have a few different guitars - strats, tele, semis. I find that for a few months I'll vastly perfer one type, say strats, then they fall out of favour to be replaced by some other type, the 335 for instance. This go through cycles and over time i come back to all of them.

Do you go through the same cycle of preferences or do you just pick up any guitar at any time?

my guitars each do certain things well, so they are all insome sort of rotation.

• Members

I rotate guitars. I buy and sell so much, I usually put my most recent purchase at the front as I try to decide if I am going to keep it. I think my biggest change in the last year has been Strats. I learned on a Strat, but thought the middle PUP was getting in the way. 2 to 3 years later I discover Strats are playable. I have 4 Strats right now. I still have a couple LP's, in fact I recieved a Gibby LP Special this last week. I used to be heavily weighted to LP's. I also got an offset recently - a Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster that I truly love - it has surprising versatility. Oh yeh - got my first Carvin a couple weeks ago - a bolt neck Strat type.

• Members

I went for years, like 25+ years, playing nothing but my les paul custom through a jcm800 - that was my only guitar and only amp, and I owned no pedals. Prior to that I had a tele, and I eventually went back to a tele after the les paul phase (don't know if 25 years is a phase), and then strats (and pretty much fender amps as well). Now I pretty much play strats, although I do grab my tele now and again. I play the les paul very rarely, but do take it for a spin now and again - still a great guitar.

• Members

I started out loving the Fender Strat, then I went to a Gibson Les Paul for the longest time. In 1988 I played my first Telecaster. A MIJ Blue Floral model, I had thought Telecasters were nothing but a country guitar. How wrong was I... I am still crazy about all my guitars but I am definitely a Fender guy with 4 Strats and 5 Teles... :)

• Members

I seem to gravitate towards guitars that I don't own. :)

But yes, I usually go between LP and something with a floyd with an occasional tele streak in there. I've owned a strat the longest, but I play it the least by far and rarely go beyond the occasional evening of making sure that it still makes noise.

• Members

I play my guitars in phases - i.e. for the past two months i have hardly touched any other guitar than my new strats.

But that novelty will eventually wear off, and then i'll go back to playing Les Pauls for a while and after that a period of shredder guitars and so on and so forth...

It could be described as a sort of serial monogamy.

• Members

I played strats for years and occasionally would use a 335 (especially in the days before noise canceling strat pickups).

A few of years ago a fellow musician gave me a Les Paul and I played that almost exclusively until I built my tele about a year and a half ago. The tele was on it's way to becoming #1 when I went back to the strats at the beginning of this summer when my band started to get lots of outdoor gigs.

The strats seem to do it better outside in the open air and I am once again reminded of why I like them so much.

When I am at home I usually play an ES137 through a SF Princeton Reverb driving a Jensen P10R.

• Members

I'm on a strong Superstrat kick right now.

Totally with you on this one. I've been on a total Van Halen kick lately and you NEED a superstrat to play those tunes.

I've been all over...Les Paul, Tele, Explorer, single coil strats, Paul Reed Smiths, Jacksons, Ibanez, Jaguars, BC Rich, White Falcons. And I'm sure I'll be all over and over again.

Archived