Players who we all think are unable to suck

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Everyone has an off night no matter who they are, and players like Jimi and Beck would be more prone as they were/are the kind of players who walk the tight rope and stretch the boundries to the limit. Imagine trying to nail a song like "Where Were You" spot on every night.

• Members

I didn't mean incapable of playing bum notes......just simply players who occupy a different place

Based on that criteria, I'd have to add Jerry Garcia to the list. Did he have bad nights? Sure, but a bad night from Jerry was still on another plane of existence from a lot of guitarists. But that's just my opinion.

Also:

Jorma Kakounen

Freddie King

Albert King

Tony Rice (acoustic, one of the best flatpickers ever)

• Members

Having seen Les Paul at one of his last shows, very weak and his fretting hand so crippled that he only had use of 2 fingers, and still rocking the house and playing other guitarists under the table, I would say that he spent his entire life "unable to suck".

• Members

Stanley Jordan. I caught him on a bad night. He was sick and hadn't eaten all day so he had to stop the set after 3 songs and go backstage to eat some soup and take some cold meds. He sounded great for the first three songs, but after his break, it was like he had been infused with mutant guitar abilities. It was scary how well he played. If he was "sucking" on his first three songs then I'd venture to say that he simply can't play badly.

• Members

Obviously a YMMV endeavor, but IMHO:

Peter Green

Duane Allman

Angus Young

Pete Townshend

Jimi Hendrix

Adrian Belew

Curtis Mayfield

Mick Ronson

Loads just on the cusp but not quite there, typically because they got sloppy and/or dull at various times over long careers, or they did great things in one context but not across the board (eg, Jack White slays in White Stripes material/outings, not so much outside of that band).

Archived