Players who we all think are unable to suck

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

After careful deliberation and looking at my avatar for six months I have to mention George Harrison.

From what I have read about him in the studio he spent a lot of time getting his parts 'just right' for the the songs. He did not allow his guitar playing to suck and I think we all have to agree that what he recorded has certainly stood the test of time.

When I see some of the early Beatles live stuff on YouTube I have to say that his playing is outstanding - even under the conditions they were performing in.

A friend of mine saw him in Toronto in the early 70s. The L.A. Express were the opening act with Robben Ford on guitar. When Hari's set came up, the Express were joined by Billy Preston and became his backup band.

George's voice was not so good that night and Billy had to hit some of the high notes for him but, according to my friend, he made up for it by turning it into a night of outstanding guitar playing by him and Robben Ford.

George_Harrison_Robben_74_PS.sized.jpg

• Members

Not really a great guitar player, but Tom Petty never has an off performance, magic every time.

I love Tom Petty and there are people who will "dis" him because he does not have uncanny chops. Mike Campbell smokes him chops-wise.

I think he is a great player because he knows who he is and stays within himself, a "less is more" player and one of the great rhythm players of all time

• Members

Brian May-

-was mentioned earlier in the thread - never seen as much as a single fluff or bum note ever. Nails it everytime, like the record, perfect tone perfect execution, terrible waistcoats. ;)

Ive been to 3 G3's back in the 90's - 00's seen Vai make a balls of a few songs, satch almost flawless ;) Brian may - flawless, effortless, megaperm!

• Members

After careful deliberation and looking at my avatar for six months I have to mention George Harrison.

From what I have read about him in the studio he spent a lot of time getting his parts 'just right' for the the songs. He did not allow his guitar playing to suck and I think we all have to agree that what he recorded has certainly stood the test of time.

When I see some of the early Beatles live stuff on YouTube I have to say that his playing is outstanding - even under the conditions they were performing in.

A friend of mine saw him in Toronto in the early 70s. The L.A. Express were the opening act with Robben Ford on guitar. When Hari's set came up, the Express were joined by Billy Preston and became his backup band.

George's voice was not so good that night and Billy had to hit some of the high notes for him but, according to my friend, he made up for it by turning it into a night of outstanding guitar playing by him and Robben Ford.

George_Harrison_Robben_74_PS.sized.jpg

I like to say that as my playing has evolved over the years, I've come to admire George Harrison's elegant playing more and more.

• Members

mike ness. i've seen social d probably 20 times in my life and his solo gig a handful of times and he has consistently delivered an incredibly kickass show; even the tour where he had a broken arm from a skateboarding accident and had ron emory from TSOL filling in on guitar for him.

Mike_Ness___Social_Distortion_by_dirkbeh

coolest. mother{censored}er. ever.

• Members
I love Tom Petty and there are people who will "dis" him because he does not have uncanny chops. Mike Campbell smokes him chops-wise.

I think he is a great player because he knows who he is and stays within himself, a "less is more" player and one of the great rhythm players of all time

Yeah Tom Petty doesn't have virtuoso chops, but I've never met anyone who diss him for that, it's usually that they don't like his nasally voice :lol: but I like it. Plus his songs are as you said, inside his limits and genius in its simplicity.

• Members

Has anyone said Zappa yet? No? Then Zappa too
:)

That's one that came to mind. Not really my all time favorite, but dammit you can't ignore the musicianship and range he could cover.

Of course everyone mentioned on this list is like one of my favorite players so in all actuality I'm pretty easily impressed. :lol:

Archived