Players who we all think are unable to suck

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Maybe I'm thinking about this differently than others, but I view the idea of "unable to suck" as the ability to step into any situation and sound great. Unless Gilmour has some tricks up his sleeve we've never seen, I'm guessing he would probably suck if dropped into a jazz trio (not to diminish his skills or contributions in any way, I LOVE Gilmour).

A guy like Guthrie Govan is a guy who in my view, could not suck in any guitar situation. I don't mean to imply that he's the best guitar player to ever walk the earth, but he is a guy who has truly MASTERED the instrument and essentially has no limitations. But alot of times the best contributions to music come from guys who may not be "masters" in that sense but have a unique gift within a certain sound (like Gilmour).

• Members

Michael Sche...

uh wait... what?

;)

Seriously though somebody beat me to it...Billy Gibbons. I remember Stevie Ray Vaughan commenting once that Billy G always hit his notes perfectly with timing, timbre, everything. And as I thought about it over the years, that made a lot of sense. :thu:

• Members

For rock, I'd say Joe Satriani...the tasteful but slower players ala Gilmour and Knopfler are good too, but obviously it's less technically demanding....Satch just never misses a lick, no matter how complex or involved it is, including all the funky tricks with the whammy bar

• Members

Everyone has an off night no matter who they are, and players like Jimi and Beck would be more prone as they were/are the kind of players who walk the tight rope and stretch the boundries to the limit. Imagine trying to nail a song like "Where Were You" spot on every night.

Precisely!

• Members
Michael Sche...

uh wait... what?

;)

Seriously though somebody beat me to it...Billy Gibbons. I remember Stevie Ray Vaughan commenting once that Billy G always hit his notes perfectly with timing, timbre, everything. And as I thought about it over the years, that made a lot of sense.
:thu:

So what's your deal with Mad Mikey?

• Members

It took until post #29 for someone to mention Knopfler... :cry:

HCEG has failed me once again. :facepalm:

I'm thoroughly convinced that Gilmour and Knopfler could get jobs working on their knees outside of cheap strip clubs and STILL no one would have the right to say that they suck.

But I am a fanboy... :lol:

• Members

As far as my contributions... I've never seen anyone mention that they thought that Adam Levy or Jim Campilongo sucked.

Maybe not the first call for metal/brootalz or whatever, but they are pretty amazing at what they do.

Also I'd throw out James Wilsey (of Chris Isaak fame) and Robbie Blunt (who played with Robert Plant circa 1982-1983) are VERY cool and I can't recall anyone saying an unkind work about their playing.

Archived