DCinDC's cheap git club - The Haven

dcindc

• Members

OK, I'd like thread to become the place to hang out to talk about new cheap guitars.

Why this thread? Because I'm sick of comparisons to MIMs, etc. And maybe it will cut down on thread posts about these guitars on a daily basis.

I'd like a place where owners of cheapies feel comfortable posting about them, without the corksniffers/brand whores (you know who you are) cluttering up the thread and basically dragging it down.

"Haven" is in the title for search purposes, but it's a subtle msg too.

Edit: updated, again

Brands: Arbor, Antoniotsai (eBay), anything from Rondo; (SX, Douglas, Agile),Canvas, Baja, Brownsville, Cort, Daisy Rock, First Act, Fullerton, Galveston, Hofner, House of Hodson, Ibanez cheapies, Indiana, Johnson, Kramer (the later ones from MusicYo.com), New York Pro, Peavey, Rogue, Route 101, Samick, Stadium, Turser, Washburn cheapies, Xaviere,

Not so much Epi, Squier, Eastwood, Reverend or vintage cheapies like Teiscos etc...

Vintage cheapies cuz they really deserver their own thread. :poke:

Squier-no, because they have the Army.

And before you try and bust me, that is not a list of my guitars. Some of those brands I don't own. :)

Post your pics, talk about your mods, talk about your deals!

Edit: Please post the brand and model when you post a pic!

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here's my cheapie - Washburn WI14.

Now you didn't call out Washburns on your OP, and they do make some expensive ones, but the lowest like of Washburn electrics is excellent, and ... cheap.

This was $150 new from some Ebay retailer, and you never see them selling for more.

100_1736.jpg

Beautifully comfortable maple neck bolted onto a basswood body. The thing's light even though the body is rather large.

I've painted it and hosted a number of pickups in it. Pictured are the stock humbuckers, but it's also had Dream 180's and Dream 90's.

It's empty right now waiting for it's next incarnation.

• Members

Well, as of this moment, I have uh.... an 83 Japanese Squier, 3 89 Korean Squiers, 1 94 Korean Squier, an 08 Chinese Squier, an 83 Japanese Ibanez, an 85 Japanese Ibanez, a 02 Korean Ibanez, a 08 Indonesian Ibanez, a 06 Korean Parker, a Korean Epiphone and a Korean Samick and even though I don't even have $200 in a single one of those guitars, none of those qualify me as part of your club.

But I do have a Chinese Tradition strat copy that I only have $25 in including new strings.

Am I in? Am I in? :wave:

• Members

What can you tell me about the antoniotsai guitars? I haven't heard of those before.

I can tell you I strongly dislike mine, although the inlays are pretty. The body is full of signs of poor craftsmanship - seems like there was no grain filler because the finish has sunk in a couple points. You can see lines from poor sanding in the inside of the horns. It came to me supposedly new with some dings in it. Now I got this guitar many years ago, and I didn't know then what I know now or I would have demanded a refund. Ah well. Oh yeah, all the hardware and electronics were awful garbage as well. I replaced the pickups with Fender CS '69s, the pots with CTS, the tuners with locking Planet Waves, and the bridge with a Wilkinson and it still sucks.

• Members

Nice SX KY1! :poke:

Yeah, that's the ticket. I don't have any vids of me playing, but look I found one from someone else.

[YOUTUBE]WUUGbK4wTDs[/YOUTUBE]

Check it out, he's got the chord melody thing that Larry Conklin was showing us down, but he's forgetting to leave long untimely pauses between changes. And his "hot licks" unlike Larry's instructions of 2 or maybe 3 notes, seem to always be at least 4. :mad: But other than that, he's caught on and is getting good tone out of one of these SX KY1s.

:thu:

• Members

What can you tell me about the antoniotsai guitars? I haven't heard of those before.

They are sold by ebay seller: inlaidartist

linky:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZinlaidartist

unique stuff. Well worth the price, but the shipping is a big gotcha. That said I bought two. :facepalm: I was gonna sell one, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Runn3r, and sleepeatplay, have some of his guitars too.

You basically can't get anything like this anywhere else. They usually need significant turd polishing, but you wind up with something really unique and pretty nice for short money.

here's one of mine.

Anton1a.jpg

Anton1b.jpg

Anton1e.jpg

• Members

I love a good guitar no matter what the price, so it's nice to have a place for impressive cheapies!

I love my First Act SFA Delia. Total cost was only $125, which is crazy considering how great of a guitar it is. I put the pickups from a First Act SFA Sheena in it because I absolutely love the P90-style neck pickup. I've also swapped out the knobs for some chrome Tele-style ones, but I haven't taken any new photos yet.

IMG_9597.jpg

IMG_9600.jpg

• Members

I'm sort of missing the point here. . .

so its for some cheap guitars, but not all. Some brands accepted some brands not

so If i get this right, my Indiana tele copy belongs here, but my epi doesn't

That IS the point. In because of the Indiana. Talk about it.

• Members

70's Harmony Strat copy (free): great body and neck, refin'd, new electronics, re-shaped headstock, and custom decal.

HarmonyStratfull1.jpg

Agile AS-820 original body style and headstock ($199 on close out): Now has Seth Lovers in it.

AS-820body1.jpg

Squier VM Thinline ($232 shipped with free gig bag): Now has TV Jones, Muy Grande and new pickguard.

IMG_0665.jpg

70's Epiphone Japanese BARD 12-string ($185):

EPI12-string.jpg

83' Ibanez RS-335 Roadstar II ($150 w/ case):

IbanezRoadstar-fullbodyheadstock.jpg

Sonica single cut six string acoustic ($56):

1.jpg

78' Cortez J-200 ($250):

IMG_0615.jpg

• Members

I love cheap/budget guitars. I guess you can say all of mine are pretty cheap lol.

But as for my cheapest:

I got an xaviere xv-600 semi-hollow P90 Tele.

I got a Squier Bullet.

I also got an Ibanez GAX-75 (a gio), that was only about $240, that one's really nice too though after a pup swap.

• Members

Yay, Canvas made the cut!!

I'm all about cheap guitars. Since I sound like myself no matter what I play, these give me more opportunities for fun :D

Here's my Canvas semi-hollow I just picked up, $179. I don't even remember the real model number! I've only had it for a few days so I'm still in the evaluation stage as far as possible mods go. As is, it sounds plenty decent already. After a fret level and complete setup, it plays as nicely as any guitar I've owned (lots!).

Possible mods, changing to gold hardware, GFS Mean 90 pickups. We'll see.

canvas_front_close.jpg

Archived