Brands: Antoniotsai (eBay), anything from Rondo; (
SX
, Douglas,
Agile
),Canvas, Baja, Brownsville,
Cort
, Daisy Rock, First Act, Fullerton,
Hofner
, Indiana, Kramer (the later ones from MusicYo.com), New York Pro, Rogue, Route 101, Samick, Stadium,
Turser
, Washburn cheapies, Xaviere,

P1000140.jpg

P1010585.jpg

P1000077.jpg

hofner20.jpg

P1000060.jpg

Not so much........vintage cheapies like Teiscos etc...

:mad:

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Do cheap partscasters count? Not the really good ones, but ones that are put together with scrounged parts. I don't call this the Junkyard Dawg for nothing. $50 eBay body, $100 Mighty Mite neck, everything else came from my parts bins.

Hot '80s Gibson alnico PAF, about 9.6k. The switch splits the pickup. I've added a Tone control since this pic was taken.

jde_front6.jpg

• Members

Man, that thing was FORTUNE compared to what we're talking about in this thread!

:lol:

hehe yeah I noticed, but that's ok because it gives me hope that I can find an even cheaper guitar that what I already have. Some good stuff in this thread.

• Members

Oooh, I missed Agile in the first post! Here's me LP Goldtop, one of the old ones with the original style cutaway and headstock shape. Scored it for $250 with the new pickups and a nice Epi hardshell case.

Pickups are a Gibson 490R neck, mounted backwards like Peter Green, and a Duncan '59 bridge. I added RS Super Pot 500k vol controls, CTS 500k tone controls, old waxpaper caps from an old radio and wired it up '50s style. She slays most Gibson LPs.

agile_front1.jpg

agile_front_full.jpg

• Members

I'm a great believer in cheap Washburns. They're well built, and I've never come across one that has a bad neck or bad frets. Sometimes their necks are thinner than I like, but that's a matter of taste, not quality.

This one is on craig's for $50. I'm trying not to hit it.

washstrat1.jpg

washstrat2.jpg

• Members

In because of the last one. Is Tradition the brand name, or does it have one?

Sorry, but the other ones are too nice.
:freak:

Yeah, Tradition is the brand name. Several years ago, they put out some decent Squier/lower end Epi level guitars. Not I think they are all Chinese. Only one local shop carries them and I think it's the only brand they carry. Their LPs aren't terrible, but heavy as hell.

I used to have another one that looked pretty sweet. Ash body strat with H/S/S pickups that were WAY too hot. This one is a normal strat, super dark trans brown finish. I polished up the frets, put on some new strings and let 'er rip. Pickups are STILL way too hot. I think that's their thing. Traditional looking guitars that have too hot of pickups.

Dig the look though. I'm going to put on one of the black H/S/S wired pickguards from GFS. Plays great. Thin-ish, wide-ish neck for a traditional looking strat.

• Members

That goldtop is schweet!! Almost pulled the trigger on one, but went for the JT to mod. New pickups on the way...hehe!!

I always wanted one of the older ones that look more like LPs. When this one popped up I jumped on it :D

I was oh-so-close to getting a Turser JT-200 Pro, the LP style with double cutaways. Way cool!

Archived