dcindc

DCinDC's cheap git club - The Haven

AAArbor02.jpg

This guitar's twin is hanging in a local pawn shop, exact same Arbor model. I was looking at it just yesterday (again) though it's been there for at least six months.

It's not a pawned guitar, they sell new Arbors. Too bad they alway have their new guitars priced WAYYY over what they should be, otherwise I might have bought it by now, but it sure is good looking.

My Satellite LP copy was free.

My wife rescued a very sorry looking LP copy from where we rehearse.

It was {censored}ed....no tuners, no pickups,damaged frets, and the body looked like someone had tried to smash the guitar up.

I took it home, filed the offending frets, stuck an Epiphone and an Ibanez pickup in, bridge, tailpiece and tuners from my bits box, and she was good to go.

It's got a plywood top, with a huge hollow area under the pickups...makes it sound like a semi, really warm and woody.

It's currently set up for slide!

:thu:

Friggin sweet!!

Man, someone starts a thread about cheapo guitars and you guys are all over it like alcoholics at quarter beer night...

That's one of the things I love about this place.

Do $26 Gretsch's qualify?

I've got Xaviere, Fullerton, Samick, and Oscar Schmidt to cover me even if it doesn't. I'm in.

:lol: pics!!

Quit polluting the site with your cheaPOS. I know you really want real guitars. Sell those things and start saving your money for the real thing. :poke:;):facepalm:

...my two favourite cheapies......from the 'House of Hodson'

150 quid each!
:thu:

collage3.jpg

flori

I love the look of the Hodson LP, wish we had them in the states. Yummy cheapie goodness :thu:

Hey, this is a fun thread--I'll toss in my $.02 worth...
Here's a Jay Turser I got on Ebay almost new for $222.22; I replaced the stock gold P90's with humbuckers from Guitarfetish; a pair of "clearance" high-output 'buckers and a Crunchy neck pickup in the middle. Got the gold p'up rings from GFS too; they're plastic but look like metal. Made the knobs myself from dice I got real cheap on Ebay--just a matter of drilling one hole for the pot (or switch) shaft and another one through the side & tapping for set screws. The three switches on the treble bout are series/parallel, and the pickguard (had to have something that matched the knobs) is homemade from red lucite also from Ebay; a different design than the stock one. Needless to say it pegs the "flash-o-meter" but it plays & sounds real good & never fails to elicit oohs & aahs from the crowd. Everybody tells me it needs a gold Bigsby, which would cost close to what I've got in the whole guitar--

GoldGuitar.jpg

Here's my current fave; I posted it here when I finished putting it together back in August. $20 Squier body from Ebay, original finish. P'ups, white p'guard material, & jackplate ran me about $130 from Stew-Mac, everything else including the Strat neck with those "seashell" inlays was from my spare parts bin. Have since put GFS stainless saddles and black Wilkinson tuners on it that I pirated from another guitar I had laying around.....What I wanted to do was create something with the vibe of those Italian guitars of the mid-'60s--It became my #1 axe & I use it on every gig.

Red20Guitar1.jpg

Well, I was going to say "Great idea DC!" ...but with 7 pages in a single day I think it's abundantly clear. :thu:

Here's my cheapest, a 50s Silvertone that I paid $50 for. I have it set up for slide and it sounds great. I swear sometimes when I'm playing it I can hear the scratch of an old record player somewhere in the background :lol:

SilvertoneFront.jpg

And of course my $140 Artcore AS73

Red2.jpg

Red20Guitar1.jpg

That is a seriously cool guitar...

As for me, I started my 'cheap guitar' affair with the SX... was going to mod it but ended up polishing the frets and leaving it alone. Now the Xaviere... gig with them both, love them both.

usethis.jpg

A lot of my guitars I have or had, qualify for a cheap club, but not for this thread as some are Squiers and Epi's, etc., but I do have a few that fit in the op guidelines;

Like this Douglas I got from Rondo, it was a Shine model, but no longer shows in their site. I think it was only 149. and definitely way more than worth it;

wf175bk1.jpg

But I think "cheap sleepers" of any of mine are the Brownsville guitars. I've had five of them, only sold one because it was a tele with a rosewood board. Most of the time, it seems they get referred to as beginner's guitars, and I don't know why....... Anyway, here are two of them (the LP was 100. and the hollowbody was 200.);

brownsville0179.jpg

brownsville0058.jpg

Where did you get the half-n-half nut?

It's a graphtech nut mated to a piece of brass with JB Weld. Then it was ground to size. It was an experiment that in reality didn't really result in any added tuning stability. It looks okay though. :idk:

But I think "cheap sleepers" of any of mine are the Brownsville guitars.

I recently got a Brownsville Impala off of TinCob. It is badass. I need to take pics of it.

-------------------------

Peavey is in.

Harmony, Silvertone, and all the others from the 60s I'd like to leave out, so that another thread could be started for them. I don't mind seeing them in this thread, especially the ones that have already been posted.

But it would be nice if those guys had a place where they didn't have to skip over the SX and Agiles. I nominate Wedgehead II to start that thread. He's got what it takes.

Squier is out due to having their own Army. If somebody wnats to start a Squier thread, goforit!

-------------------------

There's several guitars in here that I had not seen yet, and I gotta say alot of them are crazy nice.

MOAR!!!

ok ok ok. we'll let you in.
:)
and you've been holding out on us, methinks! I don't think I've seen some of those!

Peavey is in.

Yeah -- the state of the board of late has kept me a bit quiet.. there's a couple NGD's in there.. lol

And since Peavey is in...

Peavey-1.jpg

and Samick???

Yellow-1.jpg

I have a Fullerton Ventura Bass and a Samick UM
$79 and $200 respectively

Both are great players

continued from my earlier post.
$90 ea. My SX ash strat twins. The maple fretboard one has american strat pups in it, the rosewood one is stock except for the pickguard change.
SDC10730.jpg' alt='>'>
$199 Agile Septor 6 bstock with active/passive pups
100_3482.jpg' alt='>'>

Well if Peavey is in, then I have to mention the early '80's T-models, like this T-30 I got recently for 125. - they were sleepers that people realized too late were way better than they were given credit for at the time;

peaveyT300099.jpg

Well, since Peaveys are in, I'll share my 1989 Peavey Tracer. I watched it hang in a pawn shop for a year, offered em $100 one day, and they took it. Great git..great neck, great pups and I understand it glows under black light...I need to test that. I have since found a matching knob, so it's complete now.

89tracerbeaut2.jpg

Switch Wild IV Signature

DSC01886.jpg

I've been sorely tempted to get one of these (I see them on ebay from time to time).

Tell me more about it. :love:

and I understand it glows under black light...I need to test that.

So does cat urine, so if you find out it doesn't, I can hook you up! :D