Have You Tried Raw Vintage Springs in Your Strat?

mymindsok

• Members

A few months ago I was looking at Raw Vintage's web site and noted that they were selling low tension Trem springs and boasting about the idea that they add chime and a more Vintage sound to a guitar.

Well, I bought a set, tossed them into my stuff box and forgot about em till last night. To make a longer story short, I installed em and have found that, so far, the claims of the manufacturer appear to be true. My guitar does indeed have an airer, more open sound and much more chime and it has with the stock springs or the Callaham Stainless set.

Our kids been sick, so I haven't had the time or opportunity to plug my guitar in but I'm intrigued! Anyone else tried these springs?

• Members

I remember a thread about this a while back ago. I think the general consensus was that different springs don't alter the tone of your guitar. Though someone here who spend like $45 on springs swore on their life the difference in vibration altered the tone of the guitar slightly (all thought not noticeable to the average player lol).

• Members

interesting testemonial. I've read about these and always put it down to the ramblings of the Mojo and Pixie Dust brigade. I would never imagine that the type of spring could make a difference, but I suppose stranger things have happend. I've been wrong before

• Members

Haven't tried vintage trem springs but I did get way better tone when I switched out my pickguard screws for a set of vintage ones. The old ones (with the slotted heads instead of the Phillips head) seemed to make my strat come alive.

Surfy

• Members

Seriously guys... don't knock it until you try it. I installed Raw Vintage springs in my strat and it was the biggest improvement since I stripped off the 0.05" thick nitro and replaced it with 0.02" thick nitro. That made the guitar sound much more open. The springs was a huge improvement as well. I suggest everyone do it.

Another thing I noticed is when I went from the tapered steel trem block to the solid brass trem block, it completely got rid of the ice pick tone and it made my left hand cramp a lot less.

True story!

You schmucks can keep wasting your time and money on new pickups, speakers and lessons, but the real upgrades are in the trem block and trem springs.

Oh... and in the cryogenic-treated pots, as well. :thu:

• Members

... and REAL 'vintage' (or, if you prefer, 'old') springs are weaker. I have four (original) springs in my '63 Strat, but I only need three (new) ones to achieve approximately the same trem tension on my newer ones.

• Members

Haven't tried vintage trem springs but I did get way better tone when I switched out my pickguard screws for a set of vintage ones. The old ones (with the slotted heads instead of the Phillips head) seemed to make my strat come alive.

Surfy

This is true only if you align all the screw heads.

• Members

Seriously guys... don't knock it until you try it. I installed Raw Vintage springs in my strat and it was the biggest improvement since I stripped off the 0.05" thick nitro and replaced it with 0.02" thick nitro. That made the guitar sound much more open. The springs was a huge improvement as well. I suggest everyone do it.

Another thing I noticed is when I went from the tapered steel trem block to the solid brass trem block, it completely got rid of the ice pick tone and it made my left hand cramp a lot less.

True story!

You schmucks can keep wasting your time and money on new pickups, speakers and lessons, but the real upgrades are in the trem block and trem springs.

Oh... and in the cryogenic-treated pots, as well.
:thu:

Good answer!!! I wish I could pinpoint a weakness in the tone of my two upgraded Fender Squier Strats so I could justify the expenditure. And as far as trem blocks, I came to much the same conclusion, preferring the sound of the GFS big brass and the Fender galvanized to the GFS big steel block. Certainly not as sexy sounding as changing out pots caps or pickups but I like the organic simplicity of tonepath mods done on a nice piece of lumber.

• Members

All Strat players know that the unique funkiness that a Strat has comes, in part, from the built in reverb tank in the back. The less mass the spring has, the more "boing" it's going to have. Thus, the more of the reverb effect you'll feel/hear. Make a spring out of thinner wire and it's going to have less mass and less strength. I don't know that this is anything you'd ever be able to hear, much less record, but you can certainly feel it when you pull a spring out and tighten the others to compensate for it. Plus it gives the bar a much softer feel.

• Members

True story!

:thu: To get more toanz and quack out of my Strat I replaced all of the clay dot markers with abalone. Tone is in the abalone!

• Members

A few months ago I was looking at Raw Vintage's web site and noted that they were selling low tension Trem springs and boasting about the idea that they add chime and a more Vintage sound to a guitar.

Well, I bought a set, tossed them into my stuff box and forgot about em till last night. To make a longer story short, I installed em and have found that, so far, the claims of the manufacturer appear to be true. My guitar does indeed have an airer, more open sound and much more chime and it has with the stock springs or the Callaham Stainless set.

Our kids been sick, so I haven't had the time or opportunity to plug my guitar in but I'm intrigued! Anyone else tried these springs?

link, please?? :cop:

• Members

Then the guitar would just be detuned. The springs have to balance the tension of the strings.

I assume one would also tighten the tremolo claw to compensate. In my experience, a trem with 5 springs and a loosened claw feels 'tighter' than one with 2 springs and a tightened claw.

As for my opinion on the sound of the springs, I tend to think that every component of a guitar makes a difference in sound, no matter how minute. We can't all hear these slight differences, myself included, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I simply don't value the benefits toan springs, however minute, at $45.

• Members

I assume one would also tighten the tremolo claw to compensate. In my experience, a trem with 5 springs and a loosened claw feels 'tighter' than one with 2 springs and a tightened claw.

As for my opinion on the sound of the springs, I tend to think that every component of a guitar makes a difference in sound, no matter how minute. We can't all hear these slight differences, myself included, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I simply don't value the benefits toan springs, however minute, at $45.

$45.00???

Theyre usually about $18 on Ebay...

That aside, little things do often make a difference and I'm willing to experiment.

I'll report back if and when theres something to report.

• Members

In my experience, a trem with 5 springs and a loosened claw feels 'tighter' than one with 2 springs and a tightened claw.

Yes, that is because with the springs in parallel the force you need to deform the springs adds up.

5 springs simply take more energy to deform than 2.

In theory that should be great for tuning stability (at least on the trem side of things), but the downside is that you can't get those surfy wobbles as easily.

• Members

The tone is in the strap buttons. Particularly the screws. If you're in to metal, get some stainless screws that are five times as long as the stockers. the added mass to the body will make you have a more brootal tone. True story. Also locking strap buttons will help your tuning stability.

• Members

The tone is in the strap buttons. Particularly the screws. If you're in to metal, get some stainless screws that are five times as long as the stockers. the added mass to the body will make you have a more brootal tone.

No no no! You americans always get it wrong. :mad:

Look where all your dumb theories about "more mass = better tone" took Fender and Gibson guitars in the late 70's - when only the Japanese could produce guitars of normal weight - and now you want to repeat that by advocating heavier screws?

Whilst i grant you that it is true that the screws are one of the crucial ingredients for a more three-dimensional sound with complex mids and defined highs, they should be made from vintage airplane aluminium.

Archived