VOX AC15 Vs. Fender Princeton Reverb!

DaveGrima

• Members

Which amp would you rather have for playing Classic rock, Funk, and Blues? The Chinese made AC15 reissue is $300 cheaper and has a 12" driver. I dont know where the Princeton reverb is made but it only has a 10" driver. Both have Reverb and tremolo and are 15 watts. The AC15 uses EL84s, the Fender uses 6L6. . or maybe 6v6. Anyway, Im not in a position to try em out right now so Im just curious what the popular opinion on thes amps is around here. I didnt post this in the AMP forum because these are not heavy metal amps and that forum seems to be filled with neanderthals. Anyway thanks for your input. P.S. Where is the Princeton Reverb Reissue made? Thanks!

• Members

I don't know where the Princeton Reverb is made, but I make noise with one in my house. I really love that amp. Perfect Fender sparkle, and it is just so creamy smooth. I use it for country and blues mostly.

For the sound you're looking for, I'd suggest the AC15. IMO, you get more grit, especially earlier. (You have the Master Volume on there. The Princeton is not a MV type of amp.)

Don't know how much you like reverb, but the Princeton has it in spades--it'll make you feel like you're playing in a big glass auditorium.

• Members

DiFferent amps, for sure. The AC15 is the biggest, heaviest, loudest 15 watt amp ever made while the Princeton is the smallest, least loud 15 watt amp ever made. :lol:

I like both. The vibrato on the Fender is better to my ears and it has a surprising amount of bass for a 10" speaker in a little box.

Tough call. I'd think it comes down to whether you like a Fender sound or Vox sound better, but the AC15 is a lot louder for live playing, if that's a concern to you. But get a cart for it. :D It's damn near as heavy as a Twin. :eek:

EG

• Members

Hmm Vox is winning 8-2. Based on the clips ive seen on Youtube I was leaning towards the Vox anyway. I think the Vox has a nice combination of chimey-ness plus grit that I really like. The Fender sounded too clean. The fact that the Vox is $300 cheaper doesnt hurt either. Are the Chinese-made Celestion Greenbacks any good? I might have to put a Alnico Weber in it. :idea:

• Members

Hmm Vox is winning 8-2. Based on the clips ive seen on Youtube I was leaning towards the Vox anyway. I think the Vox has a nice combination of chimey-ness plus grit that I really like. The Fender sounded too clean. The fact that the Vox is $300 cheaper doesnt hurt either. Are the Chinese-made Celestion Greenbacks any good? I might have to put a Alnico Weber in it.
:idea:

Go for the Weber Blue Dog. I have a Celestion Blue in mine, and it's great. I don't really like the Greenbacks in that amp - I almost prefer the Wharfdales that were found in the CC line a few years ago.

• Members

Hmm Vox is winning 8-2. Based on the clips ive seen on Youtube I was leaning towards the Vox anyway. I think the Vox has a nice combination of chimey-ness plus grit that I really like. The Fender sounded too clean. The fact that the Vox is $300 cheaper doesnt hurt either. Are the Chinese-made Celestion Greenbacks any good? I might have to put a Alnico Weber in it.
:idea:

Vox w/Alnico Weber FTW! I have an alnico Weber in the black Crate VC3112 on the far right side of the picture posted in my first reply.

• Members

I've never owned a Princeton of any variety, but I had a DRRI for a while, mildly upgraded. Owned an AC15CC1, mildly upgraded and currently own an AC15H1TV stock except for power tubes. I LOVE the Fender sound... have for about 30 years. But I also love the Vox sound... have for about 30 years...

:lol:

They are pretty different. The DRRI is mostly about being clean or driven with a pedal for me. On almost every Vox I've ever owned or played, I could usually get a great clean sound and a great crunchy sound without using a pedal. In fact, I've found I usually don't like pedals with my Vox amps.

Having said all of that which was very unhelpful, if I lost all my gear and could either get a Deluxe Reverb or an AC15C1, there's a 90% chance I'd get the Vox... and put a Weber Blue Dog in it.

• Members

I own a 1965 PR with a Altec 417 in it and love that. The only Vox I've had to play through is a 60's AC 30 and I also love that but it didn't take FX very well.

That's really weird that that an older AC wouldn't sound good with FX considering the Edge has been using an old one with multiple delays for years for his signature sound. Must be something wrong with that individual amp.

• Members

I think many Voxes sound fine with delays/reverb/chorus etc... but maybe not so great with dirt pedals. That's my experience anyway. I LOVE Voxes, but I've never found a dirt pedal that can work very well with them, in my opinion. In all honesty, I think I just dig the straight Vox tone so much, I feel most dirt pedals just takes the amp in a direction I don't want to go.

:idk:

• Members

I think many Voxes sound fine with delays/reverb/chorus etc... but maybe not so great with dirt pedals. That's my experience anyway. I LOVE Voxes, but I've never found a dirt pedal that can work very well with them, in my opinion. In all honesty, I think I just dig the straight Vox tone so much, I feel most dirt pedals just takes the amp in a direction I don't want to go.

In my experience, Vox amps take overdrive and fuzz well, but (is it hard clipping?) distortion is difficult to get good tones. That works for me, because I really only use overdrive (the MXR Distortion III is more overdrive than distortion, if you're checking my sig line).

• Members

The 12 " speaker is why I'ld take the AC15. The 10" in PR are the weak point in that amp.

Yes but I recently learned the AC15 combo is made of particle board or something. Is this what I should expect in this price range? I dont know how it effects the sound but MDF amps just "feel" cheap to me. Whats the Princeton made of?

Maybe I should make a new thread. Im looking to get a new combo amp for home use. ALL tube. Cosmetically pleasing. No more than 15-20 watts. With a nice clean tone that takes pedals well but also has some kind of built in overdrive channel. As many built in good sounding effects as possible but must at least have reverb. Price range is upwards of about $1200 or so. Thanks for any suggestions you might have. Like I said I play mostly bluesy classic rock type stuff so I dont need any brootalz bull{censored}. Thanks. :cool:

• Members

I don't think in an open back combo the cabinet material makes a radical difference in tone. But it does make it heavier than it probably needs to be. I think the AC15CC1 was over 40 lbs which seems a big high to me, but not a deal breaker by any stretch.

But really... I think you need to spend some time with each. I mean, on paper, the AC15C1 and the DRRI seems pretty similar... fairly low wattage 1x12 combos from classic amp companies with built in reverb and tremolo, but if you plug a strat into each of them and turn each amp half way up... I guarantee one of them will speak to you more than the other. The DRRI is still pretty clean while the AC15 will be getting into some dirt. Even more of a difference if you mostly play HB guitars. The Princeton makes it a little more similar matchup as it breaks up a bit faster than the DRRI, but still, tone-wise, they aren't really similar. I've had and loved both... but one is about lots of clean with kind of an edgy, almost harsh breakup once you get there and the other is more about chimey breakup through most of the volume range.

But... if you open up the budget to $1,200, you get some nice options. Both of my main amps right now are right around there new. AC15H1TV and a Dr Z Carmen Ghia. Both are relatively simple amps with minimal controls (when limiting yourself to the EF86 channel on the Vox), but I think because of that simplicity, there's a pretty big range of tones as long as you don't need lots of headroom. The Carmen Ghia never fails to surprise me with how great it sounds. I'm not saying it's the same thing as having a nice Vox, a nice 18W Marshall and a Tweed Fender, but considering it only had two controls, it does a pretty awesome impersonation of all three. Of course, it doesn't have any effects so you'll need pedals which increases the total price and I agree... I MUST have reverb. But a reverb and maybe one or two dirt pedals and you have a pretty awesome rig. I've seen them go for as low as $750 used, but usually closer to $800 - $900.

I've had a number of nice amps but that Carmen Ghia leaves me smiling every time I plug into it.

Having said that, if I had to buy a brand new amp to do everything I want/need and I couldn't use any pedals and it had to be $1,000 or less brand new, I'd almost definitely get the Vox AC15C1 and hopefully change the speaker to a Weber Blue Dog.

• Members

Yes but I recently learned the AC15 combo is made of particle board or something. Is this what I should expect in this price range? I dont know how it effects the sound but MDF amps just "feel" cheap to me. Whats the Princeton made of?

Maybe I should make a new thread. Im looking to get a new
combo
amp for home use. ALL tube. Cosmetically pleasing. No more than 15-20 watts. With a nice clean tone that takes pedals well but also has some kind of built in overdrive channel. As many built in good sounding effects as possible but
must at least have reverb
. Price range is upwards of about $1200 or so. Thanks for any suggestions you might have. Like I said I play mostly bluesy classic rock type stuff so I dont need any brootalz bull{censored}. Thanks.
:cool:

Egnater Rebel 20. The amp has an attenuator that lets you dial in anything from 5 to 20 watts. Has a mix of two 6V6 and two EL84's, so you can also dial iany tube sound you want. No overdrive channel though. For that, you need to go up to the Rebel 30 Combo.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

I have the newest version of the AC15 and it's one of the best amps I've played. Great crunch sound that cleans up with your guitar volume. And contrary to what's been said, I have no problem running various dirt boxes into it. I see no reason to change the Greenback either.

Archived