USPS has ruined yet another package, to an impressive degree (lots of pics)

Mr_GoodBomb

• Members

I sold forumite pktsymph a reel-to-reel for $20. I didn't get insurance; USPS's insurance has always been a ripoff to me. They charge you for it, and then they don't honor it when they fuck a package up.

Here's the photos the buyer sent me.

uQ9S7.jpg

WDciI.jpg

1HgK0.jpg

6ebEm.jpg

au4Ab.jpg

3Njip.jpg

I'm genuinely fucking impressed. The case was HEAVY, old wood. That thing has survived at least 7 presidents, it seemed incredibly difficult to damage. And yet, they managed, and even somehow broke the contents inside the wood case. If they broke this to this degree, they would have broke literally anything.

I'll be shipping things other means if I have to. USPS has proved themselves useless at literally everything they do, between losing packages, breaking items, and never honoring their insurance claims.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How was it packaged?

In a box, surrounded by bubble wrap.

However, that's not really even a concern.

880-2.jpg

It looked like this original. It was heavy wood on all size, it easily weighed 40-50 pounds, the majority of which being the wood case. The handle was also removed, so there was nothing protruding to catch on. So, basically, the internals were packaged in material heavier and more sturdy than any packaging could ever be... and yet they still destroyed it.

The weakest point on that construction would be the speakers... but that's not where it appears to have been smashed in. They smashed in the fucking corners. That'd take the weight of a falling sledgehammer or heavier.

• Members

I've shipped a lot of stuff over theyears and that looks to me as if it wasnt packed well enough.

The reality of shipping via any service, is that you have to make sure that the goods will be well protected enough to withstand anything up to but not including being run over with a truck. Your package will probably be thrown, dropped, had other things stacked on top of it and thats all before it gets dropped at your doorstep.

Sorry for your experience but after a few years of seeing these examples, you'd think that people would learn how to pack.

• Members

I've shipped a lot of stuff over theyears and that looks to me as if it wasnt packed well enough.

The reality of shipping via any service, is that you have to make sure that the goods will be well protected enough to withstand anything up to but not including being run over with a truck. Your package will probably be thrown, dropped, had other things stacked on top of it and thats all before it gets dropped at your doorstep.

Sorry for your experience but after a few years of seeing these examples, you'd think that people would learn how to pack.

Maybe you missed the previous post. Please read it.

• Members

It would be interesting to see pics of the package as it was delivered.

Don't know about you but I photograph anything that appears damaged, insurance or not.

If the inside was that bad, it means the damage to the packing would be much much worse.

Unless it was just a cardboard box with a skin of bubble wrap providing no protection at all........

It would also be very obvious that something was wrong before the recipient opened it.

Do you have to sign a receipt for USPS at delivery?

If so, thats the time to notice damage.

• Members

USPS and UPS is what started my love of relic guitars...... that is...they weren't relics when they were first shipped to me....but they were by the time they arrived.

And yes....the INSURANCE is just another revenue stream.... total scam. I have been told this by several retired employees from both.

• Members

In a box, surrounded by bubble wrap.

However, that's not really even a concern.

It looked like this original. It was heavy wood on all size, it easily weighed 40-50 pounds, the majority of which being the wood case. The handle was also removed, so there was nothing protruding to catch on. So, basically, the internals were packaged in material heavier and more sturdy than any packaging could ever be... and yet they still destroyed it.

The weakest point on that construction would be the speakers... but that's not where it appears to have been smashed in. They smashed in the {censored}ing corners. That'd take the weight of a falling sledgehammer or heavier.

That's actually a major concern.

If it landed on a corner, that would do what did happen. When shipping something like that you really need to protect the corners.

When it landed on it's corner, all of the weight was driven into a single point of contact when it hit the ground. If it had landed flat on one of the sides it would have distributed the weight to a broader area and been much less likely to have been damaged.

If the corners are not properly protected then they are the weakest point of contact.

• Members

That'd be an understatement. I could have dropped that thing off a roof and it would have been fine (externally, internals... I can't speak of). This had to of been run over or smashed for fun, with effort.

Actually...if it weighed 40-50 pounds like you say, and it was dropped on one of the corners from about 3 feet it would have likely smashed exactly like the photos.

Those little fire lockboxes/safes will break open if you hold them about 5 feet off of the floor and drop them on the corner.

• Members

If you didn't pack it to survive a straight 6' vertical drop, you failed.

Proper method for something that heavy would be double boxed with corner protectors able to take the impact weight. Look at how manufacturers ship amps for example - that's how they get to the stores in one piece. Bubble wrap is really only good for lightweight stuff, unless you had the industrial grade stuff. Even then you should double box.

Archived