USPS has ruined yet another package, to an impressive degree (lots of pics)

Mr_GoodBomb

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It would be interesting to see pics of the package as it was delivered.

Don't know about you but I photograph anything that appears damaged, insurance or not.

If the inside was that bad, it means the damage to the packing would be much much worse.

Unless it was just a cardboard box with a skin of bubble wrap providing no protection at all........

It would also be very obvious that something was wrong before the recipient opened it.

Do you have to sign a receipt for USPS at delivery?

If so, thats the time to notice damage.

It was basically the reel to reel case inside a box, with a layer of bubble wrap on all sides. But again, that thing was a pine box. It was like a bass cabinet with a reel to reel inside. If they did this kind of damage to it, they would have destroyed anything not made of adamantium.

USPS just drops it off at your door unless you pay for signature, which costs a good bit more.

• Members

That's actually a major concern.

If it landed on a corner, that would do what did happen. When shipping something like that you really need to protect the corners.

When it landed on it's corner, all of the weight was driven into a single point of contact when it hit the ground. If it had landed flat on one of the sides it would have distributed the weight to a broader area and been much less likely to have been damaged.

If the corners are not properly protected then they are the weakest point of contact.

Sorry buddy, but no.

I could have thrown this thing off the roof and it would have been pretty safe. This almost would have had to of been driven over.

No bubble wrap was going to save that goddamn thing from that kind of damage.

You can see from the pictures that the corners aren't the only point of damage. There is flat face impact on it, which would take at least 200 pounds of sudden impact (by which I mean, if I jumped off something onto it, it would have been fine).

• Members

Your logic is flawed. Something very heavy is going to exert more force on itself on landing and break itself.

It's stupid that it's come to this, but their rules and standard procedure is, 4-6" away from the edge of the box on all sides. That's how amps get shipped these days and that's what this technically needed; although how you could achieve that without carving your own corners out of packing foam I don't know.

• Members

USPS is a joke. Don't even try to file an insurance claim with them. They just keep adding layers of red tape until you give up.

When they destroyed the Mesa bass amp I bought, they had three levels of insurance hearings. I was denied at each, and each appeal took it to the next level. Once I was denied by the third, there was nowhere else to go and they simply said "sorry, there's no one else to hear your claim."

• Members

although how you could achieve that without carving your own corners out of packing foam I don't know.

Again, and I don't know how many times I have to say this, but if they managed to damage it to this degree, there was almost nothing in packaging that could have been done to protect it.

I'll let you two have at it, I tire of needing to prove myself to e-wizards who clearly never make mistakes or have any sort of personal incidents, leaving them so much free time to correct others on the internet.

• Members

Again, and I don't know how many times I have to say this, but if they managed to damage it to this degree, there was almost nothing in packaging that could have been done to protect it.

I'll let you two have at it, I tire of needing to prove myself to e-wizards who clearly never make mistakes or have any sort of personal incidents, leaving them so much free time to correct others on the internet.

Well...of COURSE you packed it fine...you said so yourself. :rolleyes: As much as you disregard what we're telling you...how do you think YOUR words look from the other side? Not all boxes are created equal. We have boxes at work that I (220 lbs) can jump up and down on. And bubble wrap? For some things it's fine. Bubble wrap doesn't do {censored} for heavy objects. Step on bubble wrap and what happens?

So fine...be a little baby about how some people are viewing this. I for one don't understand how people continually bitch and moan about shipping companies....yet clearly continue to underpack/underbox.

Having said that...maybe you DID double box with triple walled cardboard. Maybe you did put styrofoam corners in. Maybe you did pressure pack peanuts in all the air spaces. Accidents DO happen in shipping. And having said that...."insurance" is clearly a shakedown...and I think should be illegal. Oh...I have to pay you extra for doing your job...and still go through a major hassle to get it?

• Members

Imagine if your mechanic made you pay extra for insurance in case he crashed your car into a wall! It's a joke.

Or if the insurance company collected each month, and then when you got into an accident said, "well, your car doesn't pass our inspection, so your insurance isn't valid."

• Members
Well...of COURSE you packed it fine...you said so yourself.
:rolleyes:
As much as you disregard what we're telling you...how do you think YOUR words look from the other side? Not all boxes are created equal. We have boxes at work that I (220 lbs) can jump up and down on. And bubble wrap? For some things it's fine. Bubble wrap doesn't do {censored} for heavy objects. Step on bubble wrap and what happens?

So fine...be a little baby about how some people are viewing this. I for one don't understand how people continually bitch and moan about shipping companies....yet clearly continue to underpack/underbox.

Having said that...maybe you DID double box with triple walled cardboard. Maybe you did put styrofoam corners in. Maybe you did pressure pack peanuts in all the air spaces. Accidents DO happen in shipping. And having said that...."insurance" is clearly a shakedown...and I think should be illegal. Oh...I have to pay you extra for doing your job...and still go through a major hassle to get it?

So... Your point is...

- We can't take your word for anything, literally the only person who knows how well it was packed and how sturdy the item was prior to damage
- Even if you had packaged it well, {censored} happens, shut the {censored} up
- You're a baby for complaining about anything

Cool story.

• Members

So... Your point is...

- We can't take your word for anything, literally the only person who knows how well it was packed and how sturdy the item was prior to damage

- Even if you had packaged it well, {censored} happens, shut the {censored} up

- You're a baby for complaining about anything

Cool story.

No sir....that isn't the point....not as exaggerated and dramatic as you have presented it anyway. As you clearly said...it's literally only you that knows if it was truly packaged correctly to survive the known rigors of shipping.

• Members

Sucks that this happened, but after reading this, I'm curious if you did out corner protectors on there. Really, that's the only way to protect it. A heavy wooden box like that isn't going to protect anything inside it from a fall without something to absorb the shock of it being bumped and mishandled (which I'm guessing happens to all packages). You said bubble wrap, but that's no good for anything heavier than a DVD.

Oh, and I agree that the insurance is just a scam, and that the USPS should be more careful, especially given their situation.

• Members

No sir....that isn't the point....not as exaggerated and dramatic as you have presented it anyway. As you clearly said...it's literally only you that knows if it was truly packaged correctly to survive the known rigors of shipping.

And despite my telling you otherwise, you refuse to take me at my word. Got it. You must be a fun guy to hang out with.

• Members

Sorry buddy, but no.

I could have thrown this thing off the roof and it would have been pretty safe. This almost would have had to of been driven over.

No bubble wrap was going to save that goddamn thing from that kind of damage.

You can see from the pictures that the corners aren't the only point of damage. There is flat face impact on it, which would take at least 200 pounds of sudden impact (by which I mean, if I jumped off something onto it, it would have been fine).

Got any pictures of the box before you opened it?

I can see from the pictures that the point of impact was on a corner. The shock from landing on the corner would have been enough to do the damage it did to the broken plastic pieces and to the rest of the cabinet. Plastic made 7 presidents ago can be quite brittle today. There is no other damage in the area where the broken plastic pieces were attached that would indicate an impact on that particular spot. If it landed on a flat side it probably would have fared much butter.

That is the kind of damage you can expect when you wrap a heavy cabinet in bubble wrap with no extra protection on the corners, put it in a box and then drop it on one of it's corners from 3 or 4 feet. Haven't you ever noticed that the corners are where the most protection is when you remove a new a TV, a new computer or some other heavy item with hard corners from it's box, and that there is usually very little, if any, protection for the flat sides? The corners need to be padded much better than the sides.

You have to pack things with the assumption that it's going to fall off or bounce around in a truck or be tossed around by gorillas.

• Members

Last time that happened to me it was clearly the shipper's fault, who did a {censored}-ass job packing a pair of Boston Acoustics HD-8 speakers. Total trash. Luckily it was insured.

They honored your shipping claim, despite any issue on the seller's end? That's surprising.

• Members

Yes...I'd like to see the tire tread marks from when they drove over it. J/K.

Seriously, being dropped on the corner if it weighed as much as claimed would pop it open like a coconut.

Doesn't even need to be very heavy components inside, altho that would make it worse.

In the early 80s we shipped electronic equipment all over the US in accompanied baggage, in shipping cases, plus proper packing. The one thing we learned was if you have motherboards in sliders in the instrument cases, TAKE THEM OUT BEFORE YOU SHIP or they will end up in the bottom of the racks. They are not heavy but would pop from the slides regularly.

Form me, the damage is from a drop on the corner from a small height.

It doesn't matter what I think anyway, under the circumstances, but its a cautionary tale about shipping heavy delicate stuff.

• Members
It looked like this original. It was heavy wood on all size, it easily weighed 40-50 pounds, the majority of which being the wood case. The handle was also removed, so there was nothing protruding to catch on. So, basically, the internals were packaged in material heavier and more sturdy than any packaging could ever be... and yet they still destroyed it.

That makes zero sense. Heavy wood doesn't protect the interior from damage if it's dropped, since all the force of the impact is transmitted right through the heavy wood into the interior contents. Basic physics.

Archived