Best Guitar Shapes for playing while seated?

DazedDan

• Members

What is your favorite body shape for playing while sitting?

Personally I liked playing my Kramer Pacer, the shape was good but it was heavy enough to slip around. As much as I love them, my LP style guitars are just not shaped well for sitting.

I have never tried an Explorer or Flying V. I used to have an old, cheap Warlock that was surprisingly comfortable to play.

Someday I want to try a Steinberger travel style. Anyone have experience with those?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Explorers are SO deceptive. They look weird'n freaky ... but they're SO comfortable sitting OR standing. The only prob is finding a suitable hard case for them. but gig-bags are easy ... any gigbag that'll hold a bass will do. My main onstage solidbody slide guitar is an Explorer-alike Ibanez DT150, and a bass gigbag is its mobile home.

• Members

I once bought a used USA Dean Baby Z that was a FANTASTIC guitar (it'd belonged to Derek St. Holmes :thu: ) but the smaller explorer shape put the point of the lower bout right into my arm when I sat down to play. There was no way around it, at least for my arms and that guitar.

• Members

Jazzmaster/Jaguar. The offset waist was specifically designed to make these guitars more comfortable in a sitting position. These guitars fall on your legs such that they naturally tilt the headstock upward, no matter which stance you use.

The Mustang is also great seated, but the contoured bodies more so than the slab bodies.

If you think the Strat is the best it gets, you need to try some offsets.

• Members

Steinbergers suck for sitting unless you get one of the flip out leg do-hickeys...the old ones never came with...These should come with Flying V's too....Makes them totally comfortable sitting standing. Steinbergers are a bit off standing though, since there is no where to rest your forearm, you kind of have to let your elbow hang out to get a good attack on the strings...not for everyone...love them or hate them...

• Members

really? an explorer? An old room mate of mine had one and I thought it was a pain in the arse to play sitting. Actually, it bugged me standing to. That extra horn where your right elbow is just messed with me. but, to each his own. I think, like many have said, a strat or tele shape is the most comfortable to play sitting. Or a nice jumbo acoustic.

Archived