So I tried to play with a slide..

twotimingpete

• Members

Slide stops directly over the fret...not in between where you press your finger down.

This made me chuckle a little bit because I thought it must be "common sense" - but I was a bass player by trade; upright, electric, and fretless electric, so that always made sense to me. I had to step back to see that guitar players just don't think that way in general. :D

• Members

Oddly enough I just practiced slide guitar for the first time in a long while tonight. I have messed with it here and there. My favorite slide is Ernie Ball's metal pinky slide. Its a bit harsh sounding compared to the glass slides but I think it offers the best versatility. I like to play in standard tuning and play normally but have it handy for solos or a certain sound. Open tuning is fun but I just feel really limited while I play it. It is really fun and everything sounds good, but I can't play and solo like I can in standard tuning. Now, in standard tuning I am still not that great, but I am more familiar with scales and such. Just mess around with it, that is all you can do. Another fun thing I like to do is to tune down the 1st string to D and then use my slide (pinky slide mostly) on the bottom few strings and then play normally with my fingers on the rest. Its kind of a middle ground between standard tuning and open tuning.

• Members

Palm muting

Raised action (giraffe balls high action)

Alternate tunings

Practice

Experimenting with different slides (way harder than finding the right pick)

1/5 ...try harder ,

Muting behind the slide not so much palm .

Light touch instead of high action .

Standard tuning is fine for slide if you don't want to go open tunings(but they are fun too)

The type of slide doesn't really affect technique..just sound

• Members

practice touch on normal action,

play with fingers so you can mute easily with the free fingers on the picking hand,

play open and standard tunings (it will serve you well later),

watch Warren Haynes, Sonny Landreth, Derek Trucks, (Doyle Bramhall III not so much since he plays upside down and backwards) a lot esp if you can find a vid of them talking about it.

OR

tune to open E, get a slide and bash like Elmore James.

• Members

Lots of good advice in this thread. I agree on light touch and relatively normal string height, it's why I made the switch to glass slides for electrics.

Many of the famous slide players use compression to balance everything out. Either from a compressor pedal or from amp compression (there is a reason so many famous slide players, from Lowell George to Bonnie Raitt to David Lindley use overdriven Dumbles and hi-gain amps).

As noted, you "fret" a note over the fret itself. Almost slide up to a note (often that means sliding a half-step below the note and then up); and always vibrato the note sharp. Don't let the slide slip behind the fret during vibrato.

• Members

On acoustic guitar, muting behind the slide is important, on electric less so. The pickups can't "hear" what's going on back there anyway. Good palm muting is essential, and try rolling the tone knob down from your normal sound. It helps clean up some of the mess and metal slides tend to add a little top end.

Practice a simple three note phrase over and over until it sounds really good, avoiding fast, wobbly "beginners" vibrato. Try starting a little lower than the note and bring it to pitch fairly slowly.

Forget being a virtuoso for the time being, tasteful, simple phrases sound really effective with a slide, and there often isn't room in a song for slide heroics.

Trust me, once you get "the sound" (and it doesn't take long) non-musicians in the audience love a bit of simple bottleneck used sparingly and tastefully.

Think "Paris, Texas" rather than Derek Trucks, he's just unfathomable for a novice!

• Members

thanks for the tips. I guess my problem is it seems to be difficult to make notes ring out rather than be a sloppy mess. considering how easy some people make it appear, I was surprised at how difficult it was.

I think that's one of the main reasons people use Open chord tunings when they're playing slide - it doesn't sound as bad if you set an adjacent string ringing, also bear in mind that with the scale notes you would normally bend (b3, b5 etc) you can slide slightly past the fret to get the same effect as those bends.

• Members

i play differently depending on the guitar i'm using and the sound/feel i'm going for... i also use the slide on different fingers... somtimes i have a light touch... other times i want to rip right in and for it to sound as raw as possible

the cool thing is that really simple slide stuff can sound good... so i'd suggest just getting a few simple riffs to sound how you want by practicing them a lot

• Members

high action is a VERY big help when you first start on slide. i'm still a total beginner at it but i couldn't even make a slightly cool attempt at slide without at least a medium action. beyond that, just play around and practice it. it might be cool to practice playing slide over a relatively simple bluesy rock album like ACDC's "back in black". in fact, that's a great idea, i'm gonna do that now!!!

Archived