• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LP for tone

SG for upper fret access

LP for balance

SG for light weight

A draw for me. I've used SGs more than any guitar in the last 5 years though. Tough to beat if you want a no-frills hard rock lead guitar and you don't plan on taking your left hand off the neck onstage

• Members

Love the sound of a Les Paul and I've had a few of 'em but I find they are very uncomfortable to play and damn heavy. I prefer playing SG's and have 2 of them.

I like the LP Specials (mahogany plank with P90's) but I have never owned one.

I have often wondered what a Maple capped SG would sound like.

Cheers

J_N.

• Members

Love the sound of a Les Paul and I've had a few of 'em but I find they are very uncomfortable to play and damn heavy. I prefer playing SG's and have 2 of them.

I like the LP Specials (mahogany plank with P90's) but I have never owned one.

I have often wondered what a Maple capped SG would sound like.

Cheers

J_N.

i have a maple-capped SG of sorts. it's an epi G400 deluxe. mahogany body/neck with a maple cap. i'm not sure if i can tell any difference between it and my all-mahogany G400. obviously all guitars have tonal differences but i couldn't possibly tell whether the difference between these 2 was because of a maple cap

• Members

Reason: prefer beefier guitar, dislike neckdive.

This. Including "See avatar for answer" :) I really like the solid feel of my LP. I don't mind the weight one bit - it's the guitar I always wanted and the one I've never been able to replace since its purchase. SG's just don't have it for me, in both looks and tone. But I think you get a lot of guitar for the price.

• Members

i have a maple-capped SG of sorts. it's an epi G400 deluxe. mahogany body/neck with a maple cap. i'm not sure if i can tell any difference between it and my all-mahogany G400. obviously all guitars have tonal differences but i couldn't possibly tell whether the difference between these 2 was because of a maple cap

Thanks for the reply,

Didn't know they made one.

Is it a substantial piece of maple (1/4 inch thick or bigger) which should kill some of the brightness and make the sound darker, or is it just a veneer over the mahogany to get a flame/quilt effect.

My '73 SG std and my '61 reissue sound totally different.

Cheers

J_N.

• Members

Thanks for the reply,

Didn't know they made one.

Is it a substantial piece of maple (1/4 inch thick or bigger) which should kill some of the brightness and make the sound darker, or is it just a veneer over the mahogany to get a flame/quilt effect.

My '73 SG std and my '61 reissue sound totally different.

Cheers

J_N.

I can't imagine a maple cap making anything sound darker. I had a solid maple guitar; it was bright as all get out.

• Members

LP sucks sitting down, for me at least. SG is more comfy. I have always thought that the SG was a better crunch chord/riff guitar, and the LP better for leads. I have a Reverend Roundhouse with P90's and I think the only LP type guitar I am interested in from here is a Heritage 137.

• Members

I can't imagine a maple cap making anything sound darker. I had a solid maple guitar; it was bright as all get out.

When I did play Les Pauls (many years ago) my sunburst Std (maple cap) sounded much darker than my Black Beauty (All Mahogany). Maybe it was just characteristics of the two guitars but the Std sounded darker, which I put down to it having a maple cap and being as maple is denser than mahogany I assumed it was that when directly coupled with the less dense mahogany main body that it killed off some of the highs and stopped the mahogany from resonating. I've no idea if that's true or not, just what I thought at the time.

Which guitar did you have that was solid maple (it must have weighed a ton) and what P/U's were on it?

Cheers

J_N.

• Members

I have two Gibby Lesters, a 2006 Classic Goldtop, I took out the ceramic p/u's and put in '57 classics, and a 2009 Traditional Pro in sunburst. I played an SG today actually, it just didn't feel right to me, maybe it's just the weight of the thing, but the attack was very aggressive.

• Members

When I did play Les Pauls (many years ago) my sunburst Std (maple cap) sounded much darker than my Black Beauty (All Mahogany). Maybe it was just characteristics of the two guitars but the Std sounded darker, which I put down to it having a maple cap and being as maple is denser than mahogany I assumed it was that when directly coupled with the less dense mahogany main body that it killed off some of the highs and stopped the mahogany from resonating. I've no idea if that's true or not, just what I thought at the time.

Which guitar did you have that was solid maple (it must have weighed a ton) and what P/U's were on it?

Cheers

J_N.

My all maple guitar was a Kramer Floyd Rose Signature. I believe it had a SD JB in the bridge, but it's been years ago. Maple is generally regarded as being a lot brighter sounding than mahogany, but like anything else with guitars it's not a hard and fast rule. Sometimes you just get a dead piece of wood.

Here's a recent discussion about it:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1054095

Archived